Relocating Sky+ to motorhome fr hols

Lee1st

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether I can use my domestic sky+ box, without satelite dish, but just accessing the the recorded programmes on the hard drive that have been recorded at home? I have hours of recorded programmes, more than enough for any travel stops when the weather's bad. Just wondered if anyone had tried this before I struggle with it.

Cheers,

Lee

These are my thoughts, not 100% sure if correct.

To access your recordings you require a sky card, if dish is disconected for too long then card may become inactive so you will not be able to see programs. I believe this also applies if you cancel subcription you need to copy programs to another devise or you lose them

p.s. try it by disconecting dish for a couple of days

Hi Lee,

I've queried my son with your question as he has the Sky + Box with dual LNB in his room, he thinks its not possible. Apparently the recorded programmes on the hard drive are accessed via the EPG. The EPG may not be available without the dish he says - I think you will get the EPG just to display your HDD recorded programmes, with dish disconnected.

If I were in your shoes, I would be inclined to disconnect the dish, there will be two F type plugs, mark them as one and two and unscrew from the back of the receiver, and see whether you still get the EPG displayed.

Before you disconnect the dish, unplug the box from the mains socket, there is only low voltage at that connectors, but you can damage the LNB on the dish if you first don't switch the mains off.

Although the system you use has a dual LNB, you only want one of the inputs to watch TV, the other one is used for recording onto the Sky + Box HDD.

Have you thought of picking up another dish with single LNB about £25 the lot, you only need one connected to watch TV. You will need an inverter to run off of 12 volts, but if on site you will have mains.

The Sky Box will not need a telephone line to work, obviously you will not be able to use interactive services - but who does? Your card will be valid for probably a few months if not connected to a telephone, they don't check that the box is connected that often, and there is a tolerance, i.e they try to connect many times before phoning to ask - what's up?

The viewing card will stay working without the unit connected to the mains for two to three weeks, left any longer and your package channels will timeout, but will be reinstated automatically after the box has been connected to power and left on standby or viewing unencrypted channels for up to 24 hrs, mine reactivates after about 2 hrs, even without the telphone line connected.

I use a the Pace Javelin Sky box with a card and 40cm Multimo dish when in the MH, I receive all the UK TV programmes as far down as the Med on the Franco Spanish border.

Regards Terry

dunno about EPGs *-) , but if we lose the satellite signal - for whatever reason - then we can't watch the recorded programmes - which is a real bummer as you might imagine, so I would say that there is no point taking the machine on your jollies :-(

You'll just have to sit and watch - the world go by, the birds - rabbits - hedgehogs - squirrels - with a nice glass of red wine in hand.

B-)

Hi Jackie,

Then it seems my son is right, you do need the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) to access the recorded programmes on the Hard Disk (HDD).

So - if you take a dish with you, you get the EPG and the programmes you recorded as well.

I still find it hard to believe there is no workaround for this problem, I must have a go on my sons setup when he's out at work, otherwise he will have a blue fit.

Regards Terry

I've come to the conclusion that Sky are as big a pain as Microsoft, a legalised monopoly [well nearly] - they make a fortune from their 0870 numbers on their own and they're uncontactable any other way. >:-)

B-)

ps - what is an EPG [apart from Electricfied Programmable thingy *-) ]

Hi Jackie,

The EPG is the Electronic Programme Guide which is displayed when you press the 'TV Guide' button on your Remote Control. I know it all sounds a bit cryptic, but it is supposed to save a bit of typing - there are some very nice - I am sure - exceptions to some rules I find :-)

Regards Terry

Archived