Watt Meter

niktam

Our Morningstar meter that integrates with the solar controller measures not Watts directly, but Ah, Amps peak and instantaneous and battery voltage, present and min & max, for the dual batteries.

It is a product specific for Morningstar's controllers. I find it informative, enlightening how the solar system works. I was fortunately able to buy it at US prices, whilst visiting there more than ten years ago along with their DUO controller.

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SSD.IOM_.Remote_Meter_Manual.01.EN_.pdf

It's nice to know I'm not the only person this side of the pond that has a Morningstar Controller and Meter. I think they are excellent products, I also purchased their Programming Interface Meterbus USB Adaptor which enables the fixed programs setpoint etc to be altered. Marvellous kit in my opinion.

I mentioned a meter in the OP as I'm suffering the normal issue of the cab battery going flat as there is no mains supply.

I have a 100w solar panel and a Truma Dual Battery Charger controller which is presently set at 30% hab battery and 70% cab battery and it is definitely set following those characteristics all checked and wired in etc.

The hab battery light is only solid for a short time in the morning and then it flashes signifying that it is fully charged and then the cab battery is always showing that it is charging from the solar.

Today the read across the solar panel terminals at the controller was around 20v the read across the hab battery terminals 14.4v and across the cab battery 12.38v so looking like to me the charge was going to the wrong battery.

At that time the cab battery was showing as being charged as the light was solid on however at 12.38v across the terminals at the controller that to me was the battery voltage which goes down by 0.02v most days.

Conclusion being that the charger is not doing what it should be doing?

niktam - 2021-01-31 5:47 PM

I mentioned a meter in the OP as I'm suffering the normal issue of the cab battery going flat as there is no mains supply.

I have a 100w solar panel and a Truma Dual Battery Charger controller which is presently set at 30% hab battery and 70% cab battery and it is definitely set following those characteristics all checked and wired in etc.

The hab battery light is only solid for a short time in the morning and then it flashes signifying that it is fully charged and then the cab battery is always showing that it is charging from the solar.

Today the read across the solar panel terminals at the controller was around 20v the read across the hab battery terminals 14.4v and across the cab battery 12.38v so looking like to me the charge was going to the wrong battery.

At that time the cab battery was showing as being charged as the light was solid on however at 12.38v across the terminals at the controller that to me was the battery voltage which goes down by 0.02v most days.

Conclusion being that the charger is not doing what it should be doing?

Truma's dual battery solar regulator has an inherent fault that many of my friends over on the Bailey owners FB group (it's standard fitment on a Bailey) have spent far too long in trying to pin down.

Basically it stops charging on the cab battery output for no apparent reason and only briefly disconnecting the battery at the regulator/controller and then reconnecting it will reset the charging.

For a re-badged £15's worth of Chinese controller it's simply not worth investigating further - throw it away and replace it with something decent.

Steve928 - 2021-01-31 6:34 PM

Truma's dual battery solar regulator has an inherent fault that many of my friends over on the Bailey owners FB group (it's standard fitment on a Bailey) have spent far too long in trying to pin down.

Basically it stops charging on the cab battery output for no apparent reason and only briefly disconnecting the battery at the regulator/controller and then reconnecting it will reset the charging.

For a re-badged £15's worth of Chinese controller it's simply not worth investigating further - throw it away and replace it with something decent.

Many thanks I pulled the fuse for a few seconds to the cab battery (from the controller) and it seems to be charging now albeit at only 12.59v but the solar was only at 15v today. This is the highest I've seen the battery(solar) since the winter arrived so I'II see how it goes. However, I've noticed It does need a very small person to get into the back of the wardrobe to change the controller??

Archived