left and right

sta-lor

sta-lor - 2021-02-04 10:27 PM

which sides of motorhome is classed as left /right for pitch purpose in relation to front of vehicle

When sitting in the drivers seat your left side is LHS or Near side the RHS is to your right or Off side

But whether thats right for pitch purpose's I'm not sure

Thai Bry - 2021-02-04 11:57 PM

which sides of motorhome is classed as left /right for pitch purpose in relation to front of vehicle

For pitch purposes, it's etiquette to ensure that your main door/ exit is not facing the the next door's exit.

This could lead on many sites to continental van's front windows facing hedges, the butt of UK MHs & caravans and also even worse directly into the front window of a fellow continental MH, and of course continental units make up more than trivial percentage.

The following 2016 link is to a long (12 pages, 112 posting) Caravan & Motorhome Club discussion about the ‘rules’ for pitching at a campsite.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/pitching-on-club-sites/?p=1

The Collins Dictionary states

"The nearside wheels, lights, or doors of a vehicle are those nearest the edge of the road when the vehicle is being driven on the correct side of the road. In Britain, the nearside is on the left."

"The offside of a vehicle is the side that is farthest from the edge of the road when the vehicle is being driven normally. In Britain, the nearside is on the right.”

This 2009 CaravanTalk forum mulled over the use of nearside/offside when outside the UK or when a vehicle was not RHD.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/30751-nearsideoffside/

For what it’s worth, my French dictionary translates a vehicle’s ’nearside’ as "côté gauche” (left side - especially in Britain) and ‘offside’ as “côté droit" (right side in Britain) or"côté gauche” (left side in France or USA).

As far as I’m concerned the left side of a vehicle is the one on the driver’s left when the vehicle is being driven forwards, and that doesn’t change whether the vehicle is RHD or LHD or being driven in a ‘left-hand traffic’ country (eg. the UK) or in a ‘right-hand traffic’ country (eg. France, Italy, Germany).

(Having never owned a caravan or stayed on a UK campsite since 1999, I’ve no practical experience of UK pitching etiquette, pegs, etc.)

Ocsid - 2021-02-05 7:22 AM

Thai Bry - 2021-02-04 11:57 PM

For pitch purposes, it's etiquette to ensure that your main door/ exit is not facing the the next door's exit.

This could lead on many sites to continental van's front windows facing hedges, the butt of UK MHs & caravans and also even worse directly into the front window of a fellow continental MH, and of course continental units make up more than trivial percentage.

Not a problem to us when in Germany touring, mainly using their "Stellplatz" sites, as ours is a german motorhome hence we don't exit opposite our neighbours door. Have seen some UK motorhomes, parking the other way round so they don't exit facing their neighbours exit door.

When in the UK we mainly use CL sites or small little sites behind country pubs, and stay off grid using our solar panels to charge our batteries.

We have on some occasions had our windscreen facing a hedge. We have our comfort screens up for privacy, or if staying longer we've put on our "Silverscreen" external covers.

We don't see it as a problem really.

The point I can't get over is that I appreciate the 6 metre rule when on site but if you just have a UK motorhome and maybe an awning you park as instructed but if there is a caravan on your awning side this happens.

The caravan has it's water drum and waste water tank plus a gap so the passenger can get out and their car which ends right next to your 2.5m awning.

But you have a great big gap next the van on the other side as you don't have a car?

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-05 8:14 AM

(Having never owned a caravan or stayed on a UK campsite since 1999, I’ve no practical experience of UK pitching etiquette, pegs, etc.)

I'm right with you there Derek, and I despise these bulky volumes of rules pertaining to club sites. I have once in the last five years stayed at a UK site and it is pretty awful compared to the worst Aire I have stopped at in France.

However I have a horrible feeling that we might have to get used to the idea of staying on this island this year, although what I hear of UK camp sites being fully booked already, we won't be trying to use them or if we do we will fail. With the big increase in motorhome sales I forsee a lot of motorhomes parked up by the roadside leading to the Professional Complainers in our society not wanting us to contribute to the country's coffers with our several road fuel taxes, road tax, all the garage expenses and taking our money and spending it in their shops.

Archived