waste water drainage

bucko 1

hi, our auto roller 694 has a handle that pulls out to release the gatevalve??? for the grey waste water which comes out of a hole somewhere near the middle of the van, is there anything we can connect to the hole somehow to take the waste water directly to the drain ect, we have seen a colapz flexi waste kit on you tube but we are unsure if and how that would fit onto our van, hoping someone has an autoroller with the same lever and has some ideas,thanks!!!

Hello, we have a 2009 CI Carioca 694 very nearly the same van just a

name change, I looked into this change soon after getting it and could not

find anything at all to fit the waste outlet, my big problem was getting under

it to attatch a fitting, an elbow fitting will also reduce the ground clearance too,

so it may not last too long before being ripped off (new tank required).

I cut about 1,1/2 inch from the outlet and use a waste hog pushed under the

valve, I drain the tank every 2 to 3 days.

If you can remove the tank and take it to a plastics fabricator they may be able

to fit a side drain fitting, similar to the rear tank drain.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Hello bucko, if possible the best solution might be to use plastic tubing (assuming you can get the same diameter pipe as your drain) to extend from the centre of the van to the side of the van where you can easily see to position over a drain. Our Bourton has this arrangement as standard with a simple tap on the end instead of a gate valve but I also have the collapz flexible piping to allow me to easily empty into drain or other emptying point where it is not readily accessible. A further advantage, particularly in the depths of winter, is to be able to drain straight into a receptacle by leaving the drain tap open - this reduces the chances of freezing our underslung waste tank.

David

My understanding is that the reason Italian-made coachbuilt ‘family’ motorhomes often have a waste-water tank with a slide-valve on its underside is that a) historically Italian campsites invariably have had the sort of emptying point where accurate positioning of the motorhome above the drain won’t much matter and b) there will be adequate ground clearance under the valve to prevent it being damaged.

A common make of slide-valve is “VALTERRA” and the valves are marketed in various sizes. USA RVs commonly have slide-valve drainsge and (as the following link shows) accessories and extension hoses are available.

https://mobilervmaintenance.co.uk/product-category/sanitation/page/3

and - as was said in the 2015 link - valves and accessories are marketed for pond-related applications

https://www.koilogic.co.uk/valterra-slide-valve/p605

(I’ve stayed on French aires and campsites where it would have been impossible to accurately position over the drain point a motorhome with a central waste-water drainage gate-valve, but such drain points are relatively rare nowadays in France.)

How easy/practicable it will be to attach a hose or pipework permanently to an Auto-Roller 694’s factory-fitted gate-valve will depend on that motorhome’s installation. Realistically, scrabbling underneath the vehicle to temporarily attach an extension hose is a non-starter.

Gate-valves are designed to be attached to the tank from the outside, so adding a 2nd valve fitted to one of the tank’s sides might be an option to allow a hose/pipe to be run laterally without impinging on the ground clearance.

bucko 1 - 2021-02-07 4:41 PM

hi, our auto roller 694 has a handle that pulls out to release the gatevalve??? for the grey waste water which comes out of a hole somewhere near the middle of the van, is there anything we can connect to the hole somehow to take the waste water directly to the drain ect, we have seen a colapz flexi waste kit on you tube but we are unsure if and how that would fit onto our van, hoping someone has an autoroller with the same lever and has some ideas,thanks!!!

Only suggestion that I can make is leave it in place and fit another drain off the side of the tank attaching some piping to it and a tap by the side of the van then you could use either

This 2019 article describes how the drain-point of a 2016 Benimar motorhome was adapted so that drainage was from the side of the vehicle rather than from underneath it.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-advice-how-to-add-an-extension-to-your-waste-water-hose

It should be easy enough to add an extension hose to a slide-valve provided that there’s access to the valve and adequate ground clearance beneath it.

(My 1996-built Herald Templar's had a very small capacity waste-water tank. I had a new ‘double capacity’ tank made and ran two drain hoses from it to a large-bore tap on each rear corner of the motorhome. I then made up a extension hose that could be attached to either tap. This was a quite expensive project, but mostly paid for by an article about it published in MMM Magazine.)

Is it possible to remove the waste gate valve from the tank ?

Reverse with the extension pipe fitted to the tank & the gate valve close to the van's skirt for easier access then add a convoluted hose when needed for emptying.

I did this on my Adria & although i had reservations about the drain from the tank to the valve may hold sludge & possible block, it hasn't happen in practice.

I have visited almost all European countries on Italian motorhomes with slide-valves and the only difficulties have been in the UK and in a few German Stellplatz where I found a waste station with a raised drain.

With the help of my partner I have never had major positioning problems.

On board I have an extendable corrugated hose with bayonet connection on both sides and a tank (both Fiamma) but I have used them very few times.

Max

These couple of links may be helpful

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/emptying-grey-water-tank.170618/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/grey-water-drain-repisitioned.168845/#post-2691944

On ‘european’ motorhomes the slide-valve is normally located on the waste-water tank’s underside, which maximises the volume of water that can be drained from the tank. Fitting the valve usually involves bolting a plastic flange to the tank’s underside and then ‘gluing’ the valve to the flange using solvent. (This methodology can complicate subsequent removal of the valve.)

As Max has said, most of the time a centralised under-motorhome drain outlet won’t present a problem. And how easy it wouldl be to adapt such an outlet to allow draining to the motorhome’s side/rear or to allow an extension hose to be fitted to the outlet will depend (in this instance) on how Auto-Roller built the 694 model. Also whether the extension is is to be a permanent or temporary fixture. This vendor advertises lots of stuff that might be used

https://www.caravanningequipment.co.uk/

On a different Roller Team 694 ‘draining’ subject, this 2018 discussion might be useful

https://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17137

Archived