UK exports collapse after Brexit

Bulletguy

By a staggering 68% 8-)

New figures reveal exports from Britain to the EU have plummeted by nearly 70%, as Michael Gove faced hauliers’ fury for ‘ignoring warnings’ on trade after Brexit. A survey of international hauliers found the volume of exports travelling from British ports to the EU collapsed in January compared to the same period last year, with a 68% drop.

The research by the Road Haulage Association (RHA) prompted it to write to Cabinet minister Mr Gove to call for help, particularly with increasing the number of customs agents from 10,000 to 50,0000 to help firms with extra post-Brexit paperwork.

Chief executive Richard Burnett said the RHA had also found 65-75% of vehicles arriving from the EU were returning to the bloc empty due to a lack of goods, hold-ups in the UK and because British companies had halted exports to the continent.

Perhaps one of the forums Brexiteers will explain hw this is a benefit to the country?

https://tinyurl.com/serelqvr

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2021-02-07 6:38 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-02-07 5:51 PM

the forums Brexiteers will explain hw this is a benefit to the country?

I thought we only have one Brexiteer left now?

usual reply 'Remoaner Loser whats Queer Stammer doing' :-S

Two, possibly three, with a 'part timer'. Pelmet stays off after he's shot himself in the foot so many times and got called out. He has nobody in his little echo chamber to tag team here with at the moment. ;-)

I went to order some French cheese last night from the Fine Cheese company in Bath and the prices had sky rocketed. £15 for a 250g piece of Epoisses plus a hefty delivery charge. It used to be about half that or maybe a tenner.

The Brexiteers wont care about that though. They should care about stuff like this though.

https://english.alarabiya.net/variety/2021/02/02/Moving-the-UK-cheese-Brexit-shuts-off-European-market-for-small-businesses

I don't think they realise its their money that BoJo is spaffing away,

and his astronomic debts will not only cause inflation but hit their NHS treatment...pensions..infrastructure like roads...etc etc

Because when Dishy Rishi was giving them their own money to go to the pub in his eat out to spread it around scam, it made Dishy Rishy the most popular politician :-S

Guest pelmetman

I see our resident HATERS are ignoring the FACT that we are in the middle of a Pandemic and Locked Down *-) .............

You sad sad people...........Keep on HATING (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 8:32 AM

I see our resident HATERS are ignoring the FACT that we are in the middle of a Pandemic and Locked Down *-) .............

Ah I see! Its the lockdown thats caused a massive drop off in trade and a shed load of extra red tape for exporters and importers and a 72 page document for one lorry of fish. Its the lockdown thats prevented that Cheshire Cheese company from exporting anything anymore then. Its the lockdown thats seeing trucks go back to Europe empty then? Thats odd because there were lockdowns last year and I dont remember any of this. Is this a special lockdown that causes a raft of none tariff barriers to trade then? *-)

You realise that pandemic means worldwide?

So we would expect any impact on trade would be the same as our neighbours?

Clearly our trade is suffering more than our neighbours, so that is either due to Brexit or the mishandling of the pandemic leading to a greater impact here - so which is it?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-02-08 8:44 AM

Ah I see! Its the lockdown thats caused a massive drop off in trade and a shed load of extra red tape for exporters and importers and a 72 page document for one lorry of fish. Its the lockdown thats prevented that Cheshire Cheese company from exporting anything anymore then. Its the lockdown thats seeing trucks go back to Europe empty then? Thats odd because there were lockdowns last year and I dont remember any of this. Is this a special lockdown that causes a raft of none tariff barriers to trade then? *-)

Yeah I saw the Cheshire Cheese LOSER monkey bitching on the telly ;-) ..........

I doubt a company that sells individual cheeses to individual customers fills many lorries *-) .........

It's funny how you have convienently forgotton about the food shortages that happened during the other lockdowns? 8-) .............

I guess its because you couldn't pretend it was due to Brexit >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-08 8:58 AM

You realise that pandemic means worldwide?

So we would expect any impact on trade would be the same as our neighbours?

Clearly our trade is suffering more than our neighbours, so that is either due to Brexit or the mishandling of the pandemic leading to a greater impact here - so which is it?

Are you saying the EU hasn't experienced food shortages due to the Pandemic? >:-) ...........

I wonder why the shelves in Spanish supermarkets were stripped bare when we were there?........was that due to Brexit? (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 9:03 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-02-08 8:44 AM

Yeah I saw the Cheshire Cheese LOSER monkey bitching on the telly ;-) ..........

I doubt a company that sells individual cheeses to individual customers fills many lorries *-) .........

It's funny how you have convienently forgotton about the food shortages that happened during the other lockdowns? 8-) .............

I guess its because you couldn't pretend it was due to Brexit >:-) ..........

He is just one of thousands of stories that are now appearing since Brexit. They were not appearing before. There were a few shortages and problems previously but goods still moved seamlessly. Shortages were caused by idiot panic buying. If you think that all these stories of impossible trading conditions we are now seeing are nothing to do with Brexit then you really ought to seek urgent medical help as I think you have gone mad.

What about those fishermen who turfed up in lorries full of rotting fish in Westminster to protest. Were they blaming the Lock Down or the new Brexit red tape?

Ha ha ha! So the government is as bonkers as Pelmet in their denial! Well of course they are. *-)

Here is another one. Forced to close after 40 years in the Lobster trade all because of Brexit. Not a pandemic.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/owner-first-lobster-tank-business-europes-largest-shellfish-port-forced-close-due-brexit-restraints-3127061

I know Bridlington well. They like many fishing towns down the east coast and all over the country massively voted in favour of Brexit because they were lied to. Supposedly they knew what they were voting for though eh? Some of the percentages down that coast in favour of leaving were in excess of 70%. Now look at them.

Pelmet will be along in a minute to blame Starmer, China or maybe even Jeremy Corbyn. (lol)

This has absolutely nothing to do with Covid you idiot and everything to do with a government ignoring the advice and requests of key frontline workers. Increased paper work, trucks stuck due to insufficient staff to deal with them, the majority if not all returning empty.

It would be bad if our exports were down 10% but no business can withstand losses of 68% and it's as a direct result of Brexit, it clearly states that, so you need to explain how and why you think this is a benefit to the UK.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-02-08 9:55 AM

Ha ha ha! So the government is as bonkers as Pelmet in their denial! Well of course they are. *-)

Here is another one. Forced to close after 40 years in the Lobster trade all because of Brexit. Not a pandemic.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/owner-first-lobster-tank-business-europes-largest-shellfish-port-forced-close-due-brexit-restraints-3127061

I know Bridlington well. They like many fishing towns down the east coast and all over the country massively voted in favour of Brexit because they were lied to. Supposedly they knew what they were voting for though eh? Some of the percentages down that coast in favour of leaving were in excess of 70%. Now look at them.

Pelmet will be along in a minute to blame Starmer, China or maybe even Jeremy Corbyn. (lol)

Hmmmm.......from your link ;-) ..........

"As a schoolboy, Sam Baron worked alongside his father to set up the first lobster tank business from scratch. Over the years the business grew alongside Bridlington Harbour, which became the biggest shellfish port in the UK."

Looks to me like he's a LOSER who's decided to retire after 40 years and blame Brexit :D .........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2021-02-08 10:05 AM

What the hell were they negotiating all last year.

I admit don't recall any negotiating about what to do if Macron demands COVID19 tests for all truck drivers 8-) .......

I guess Boris is guilty of not having a crystal ball *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 4:29 PM

I admit don't recall any negotiating about what to do if Macron demands COVID19 tests for all truck drivers 8-) .......

And there was silly old me thinking Boris had two?

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 3:24 PM

"As a schoolboy, Sam Baron worked alongside his father to set up the first lobster tank business from scratch. Over the years the business grew alongside Bridlington Harbour, which became the biggest shellfish port in the UK."

Looks to me like he's a LOSER who's decided to retire after 40 years and blame Brexit :D .........

Yeah of course! That will be it. *-)

If he worked with his father as a child in the early stages of the company which could be 30-40 years ago he might only be 40-50 now. The company is closing. I would have thought if you had a business that employed people you would keep it going even if you were retiring and either pass it on to family or sell it. Its closing down. Because of Brexit. They have explained why. What about all the other shell fishing businesses that are going down the toilet thanks to your batty Brexit. Are you saying they were all retiring anyway? Most of these people are Brexiteers remember! Your own kind turning against Brexit now they know the truth. Must smart a little although I expect you just wont care.

Nothing. The deal was cobbled together by someone (not Johnson) at the last minute. Its just a bare bones load of nonsense with no real new content simply to avoid tariffs initially as long as we follow the EU rules. There is even copy and paste stuff in there about old technology like Netscape from the 90s.

The negotiations will start again and just carry on for ever. It will never be over.

Pelmet this is your chance to explain how the 68% loss of exports to the EU is somehow a benefit for UK. Remember how your lot referring to the EU chanted, "they need us more than we need them"? You voted for this sh1tshow of Brexit so you need to start providing evidence of how such a loss is beneficial.

Lets have a look at the figures you're ignoring.

2019 £294.3 billion

2018 £298.2 billion

2017 £277.9 billion

2016 £245.6 billion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/551045/united-kingdom-uk-exports-of-goods-and-services-to-eu/

These were our top 10 exports to the EU in 2019

1) Petroleum products £20.0bn 11.8%

2) Road vehicles £17.3bn 10.2%

3) Other transport equipment £9.9bn 5.8%

4) Miscellaneous manufactured articles £9.4bn 5.5%

5) Medicinal & pharmaceutical products £9.2bn 5.4%

6) General industrial machinery & eqp. £6.9bn 4.1%

7) Electrical machinery & appliances £6.8bn 4.0%

8) Power generating machinery £6.7bn 3.9%

9) Articles of apparel & clothing accessories £5.3bn 3.1%

10) Telecomms app. & eqp. £4.4bn 2.6%

Source: HMRC, UK Trade Info (HoC Briefing Paper Number 7851, 10 November 2020)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-02-08 4:14 PM

If he worked with his father as a child in the early stages of the company which could be 30-40 years ago he might only be 40-50 now. The company is closing. I would have thought if you had a business that employed people you would keep it going even if you were retiring and either pass it on to family or sell it. Its closing down. Because of Brexit. They have explained why. What about all the other shell fishing businesses that are going down the toilet thanks to your batty Brexit. Are you saying they were all retiring anyway? Most of these people are Brexiteers remember! Your own kind turning against Brexit now they know the truth. Must smart a little although I expect you just wont care.

Or alternatively the fishermen could have started supplying the locals directly and cutting out the middle man like many have down here ;-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
brugge - 2021-02-08 3:54 PM

Brugge.......Isn't that in Belgium? ;-) ........

The home of the EU which has even a worse death rate than Brexit Blighty 8-) ........

Perhaps the EU should have banned those orgies that the EU's staff seem so keen on attending even in a Pandemic? 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 5:25 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-02-08 4:14 PM

Or alternatively the fishermen could have started supplying the locals directly and cutting out the middle man like many have down here ;-) ..........

LOL! unless it comes deep fried in batter they wont be interested.

Most of our stuff, pretty much all of it goes to Europe. Perhaps they should have foreseen this and started marketing upmarket parts of the country that might want to shell out for quality seafood but then again why would they when they were convinced by the lies from Johnson and Farage that our fishing industry would be clear winners from Brexit?

Of course us remainers said all long that this would be what would happen. I dont know how many times I posted the link about the shell fishing industry going down the toilet in just four weeks in the event of no deal. Just shows how bad Johnsons actual deal is though as its fooked just about now and we supposedly left with a "great" deal.

pelmetman - 2021-02-08 5:30 PM

brugge - 2021-02-08 3:54 PM

Brugge.......Isn't that in Belgium? ;-) ........

The home of the EU which has even a worse death rate than Brexit Blighty 8-) ........

Perhaps the EU should have banned those orgies that the EU's staff seem so keen on attending even in a Pandemic? 8-) .........

Can you explain how a 68% loss of exports to the EU is somehow a benefit for UK instead of trying to derail the thread by deflecting?

You claimed the EU "need us more than we need them" so explain how such a massive loss in exports is 'beneficial'.

Archived