90 from 180

DonB

I am fairly sure that I understand the 90 from 180 day rule that we will have to adhere to in the future. But what I dont understand is, if I travel to France then go into Switzerland, do the days that I spend in Switzerland come out of the 90 from 180 rule, as Switzerland as far as I know is not in the EU or Schengen agreement. I hope one of you experts knows the answer. Thanks.

These are the Schengen countries

Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Nearest one I worked out where you could potentially stop the clock is Croatia if you are over touring in western Europe say in the summer. That was my work around if we ever get out to do a summer trip again.

Do France, Germany, italy etc end of June, July, August. Arrive in Croatia end of August, early September, stay till mid October then a couple of weeks or so heading home.

Either that or I might just stick my toe in the water and see if I can get a Visa extension for France for six months or more. Its possible but its a complete PIA And costly with no guarantees.

Barryd999 - 2021-02-19 3:00 PM

... Do France, Germany, italy etc end of June, July, August. Arrive in Croatia end of August, early September, stay till mid October then a couple of weeks or so heading home ...

I wish you, but I wouldn't be so optimistic.

The greater the number of borders to cross, the greater the possibility of finding blocks, quarantines and who knows what else.

I was told Has you leave the UK and enter the EU.Your passport will either have an entry stamp or electronically stamped with entry date.Same when you Leave the EU at any Exit POINT.

If you where enter Say Andorra.EU exit Stamp leave Andorra EU ENTRY Stamp.

Now do you add to the 90 days not used ,or start a new period of 90days?.

Does the Visa last for upto 90 days.

I Think each time you enter the EU . A new Visa will be issued.Which will cause confusion if you are there for say just a week

ham - 2021-02-20 10:38 AM

Does the Visa last for upto 90 days.

I Think each time you enter the EU . A new Visa will be issued.Which will cause confusion if you are there for say just a week

It isn't a visa, it's a 'visa waiver' scheme, I'm guessing it works similar to US one, you register and it's valid for whatever time, you just need to ensure you don't spend too much time in EU.

So as soon as you scan your passport at Folkestone Eurotunnel the clock starts ticking so make sure it's after midnight or you've lost a day before you start and I guess Morocco is going to be full of vans in the winter but make sure you scan out of the EU before boarding the ferry.

Gibraltar is looking like it is reentering the Schengen area due to the Spanish workers entering on a daily basis?

mtravel - 2021-02-19 2:23 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-02-19 3:00 PM

... Do France, Germany, italy etc end of June, July, August. Arrive in Croatia end of August, early September, stay till mid October then a couple of weeks or so heading home ...

I wish you, but I wouldn't be so optimistic.

The greater the number of borders to cross, the greater the possibility of finding blocks, quarantines and who knows what else.

Oh it wont be this year!! I was thinking in the future, maybe 2022.

niktam - 2021-02-20 11:30 AM

...Gibraltar is looking like it is reentering the Schengen area due to the Spanish workers entering on a daily basis?

There’s a fair amount of on-line stuff about Gibraltar and Schengen post-Brexit, but these “Gibraltar Chronicle” articles indicate the complexity of what’s involved.

https://www.chronicle.gi/why-the-schengen-new-years-eve-deal-does-not-cede-control/

https://www.chronicle.gi/uk-eu-treaty-on-gib-complicated-but-not-impossible/

Archived