Width restrictions Speedferries.

jnr

I am hoping to buy either a T4 or T5 Autosleeper Trident and use Dover Speedferries for crossing to France.

Autosleeper quote the width of the T5 as 2.045mtrs(wingmirrors folded) but VW quote 1.904mtrs. Speedferries measure the width by laser and have a strict policy of "no travel" over 2mtrs.

Can anyone advise of the actual width of the T4 and T5 Trident (mirrors folded) or has anyone managed to travel with Speedferries with this size camper,as I am now worried if I turn up with the wrong van I will be refused travel.

jnr.

Hi jnr.

When it matters (as here) I wouldn't trust any measurements I hadn't checked myself. Since it's probably hard to take a measurement from one mirror-hinge to the other, I suggest you park on grass or soil, fold the mirrors, stick two canes in the ground at the extremes, move the van and then measure the distance. If you've not bought the van yet, the seller should be willing to let you check this essentail fact for yourself.

If the figure you get is inside 2m, be prepared to repeat the exercise in the presence of anyone who challenges you!

I checked the height of mine (inc skylight) by a related method, and found it significantly less than the label on the dash said!

Tony

Hi jnr

We travelled with Speedferries in September 2005 with our elderly T4 Leisuredrive Crusader without any checks being made on the width and without any problems.

One frequent user we met aboard the vessel said that in rough weather the craft just skims along seemingly touching only the wave crests, which provides a relatively stable ride without much of the pitching and rolling which one mght expect to experience on conventional craft.

We have booked return tickets again for this September at £63.00 return, and are looking forward to flying (sailing) again with them.

Prior to booking this year I did again check the width with mirrors folded and confirmed it to be below 2 metres.

Bon voyage.

Hi again jnr

A little further information which you may find useful:

Our T4 Leisuredrive Crusader hi-top on the short wheelbase T4 van, measures 4.87 m long (Including folded bike rack) x 1.92 m wide (Mirrors folded) x 2.565 m high (including Status T V aerial).

We were informed by Speedferries call centre that those dimensions qualify this vehicle to be categorised as a "High Car".

We were informed that this category has been introduced recently primarily to accomodate cars with roof-racks or bikes on the roof. The size limits are : Maximum 5 m x 2 m x 2.9 m tall.

We made our booking via the Speedferries website on 4th. March this year for outward and return journeys in September 2007 at a total cost of £63.00.

Motorhomes and vans hitherto were categorised as "Large Vehicles", which would attract a higher rate than that paid by us on this occasion.

Tres bon voyage.

Hi jnr,

I checked with speedferries re the 2m width limit before booking my summer crossing. The door opening on to the ferry is 2.05m wide, hence the strict 2m width limit.

I was told I could book even if my vehicle was wider than this, but I wouldn't be allowed on because my vehicle wouldn't get through the doors!

I did wonder if this is how speedferries keep their prices down - by letting people pay for a trip they can't take and no refunds...

Hmmmmm 2.05m wide?

So how come some people with larger width vehicles than this have been using Speedferries then? According to postings last year and before then some larger vans have got on without a problem, especially in the low season. Have they reduced the size of the opening (I doubt it), or are they telling porkies to try to stop people abusing the width limit and taking bigger vans on, thus stopping smaller vehicles (in length) getting on - the more smaller ones they get on the more money they make me thinks.

Of course I could just be wrong! :->

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies, it looks as though the T5 Trident at 2.045mtrs would be refused travel. As we are still undecided between a T4 or T5 I think it's "watch this space".

once again thanks to all

jnr

Archived