fresh water tank

Wend

Always use water from our on board tank, if in the past if we've had a taint we've used proprietary cleaners for the tank. Drinking bottled water unless you actually prefer bottled water seems like keeping a dog and barking yourself when you've got a water tank. We've never had a problem in 15 years. Occasionally we'll use a filter jug but that's about as far as I'm prepared to compromise.

Bill Ord

Wend - 2007-03-31 7:41 PM Have anybody experienced problems with their drinking water, ? drinking from the tank itself(black tank) is find - but from tap tastes foul. Any ideas? (not ours - a friend, MH only 9 months old.

Suggest that you clean the whole fresh water system out with a product such as Puriclean, this is readily available at most accessory shops.

Pump a few litres of the mixture through the system and leave overnight, drain and then refill with fresh water and pump through and drain.

This should be done 2 or 3 times per year and particularly if the 'van has been laid up for a number of weeks.

never ever use m9lton in a plastic tank. use the stuff available from home brew shops or boots and do as bazza says above. use a 5 liter container for your drinking stuff and fill at home or direct from site tap so its always fresh.

alternate do as i does and stock up with the amber necter so saving on the water bills. those forum members living in the westcountry will know that its cheaoper than the h2o we all gets thro our taps.

fred and alice xx

JENIAN - 2007-03-31 9:47 PM

I would not risk drinking from the fresh water tank. We use bottled water.

Ian

Second that, we use a couple of the large mineral water bottles (4 litres ?) and fill them with fresh water each time.

Quick easy and saves getting motorhome tummy !

We've always drunk the water from the onboard tank, never ever had a problem but we do make sure that we only fill it either the day or the night before we first leave home and whilst we're out and about let it drain down completely/empty it at least once a week to make sure that we're not drinking 'old' water before refilling it.

If the water in the tank itself tastes fine it sounds to me that there might be some water being left in the pipes when it's stood up (even if it is drained down) and going a big manky.

If when filling a tank the taps are left on to run through for a few minutes, not just 20 seconds but a good 3 minutes at least, this will purge the old water in the system, you shouldn't have a problem with any lingering nasties.

Guest starspirit

After 35 years of drinking van tank water, like Mel, I've never had a problem with taste or upset tummy.

If there is a stomach bug going around I will always get it worse than anyone else which is why I prefer my van water to hotel water.

A tankful lasts up to four days for us and as long as you are sensible about where and how you refill it there should be no problems. It is designed for drinking water after all.

We always put about five gals of off cold water in the tank of a new van together with a goodly dose of Milton or similar and go for a 20 mile drive on a bendy and bumpy road (not hard to find in the Uk), after which all the water is pumped out into the waste tank to clean the pipes and pump before filling with cold fresh water and flushing the system prior to draining the tank ready for use.

It's always worked for us but we are all different and each to his own.

I know you know this, but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't, do not use Milton, which contains chlorine, in any system that has stainless steel components.

Richard's remedy is fine for the cold water system, with that proviso, but the Milton solution should absolutely not be run through any Truma water heater (or any other make if it contains stainless steel).

Reason?  Trumas have stainless steel hot water jackets, chlorine eats stainless steel, replacement Truma heaters are around £1,500, and evidence of chlorine attack will invalidate your warranty!

Get "Certisil" from Miriad Products.  "Google" under Miriad Products.

I have for the past 35 years used the water from the fixed tank, whether in a caravan or latterly a motorhome. Never had problems.

I always fill up at the last moment and drain down every time when returning home, even in the summer.

Wend,

have a friend who has a TCP tank apparently it should be changed all the pipe work however they tried everything . I,m not suggesting yours is the same . they tried boling everything you can think off ..

God nothing worse than looking forward to your cuppa and it tastes of TCP ... Hope you find a solution we are the same as the others no problems thank god we use both bottled and on board.....

Good luck....

We're newcomers to motorhoming (2yrs) motorhome from new 132ltr fresh water tank, but only problem with foul water was when I forgot to empty the truma heater hot water system on returning home from a trip, then the next weekend went away - no hook up and thought save gas/money, use the hot water to fill the kettle for a "nice cuppa" it was awful. On returning home I always completely empty the system and filling the tank on the night before a trip always leave the tank drain open for a couple of litres to run through before closing and then filling a minimal amount, and always only use the cold water to fill the kettle!

I always use Puriclean to flush the system in the MH water system at least twice a year, also when away I will flush the system, its well worth while as the water always has a fresh taste afterwards.

Don’t forget to clean the pump water filter, even after a couple of months you will be surprised at the nasty things I have found caught in the filter, the small fine mesh filter looked like one of those culture dishes found in laboratories.

I wonder just how fresh our fresh water is ? A recent TV programme claimed bottled water can be up to five years or more old. What say you about filling your kettle with fresh water when making a pot of tea – an old wives tale? Does it really make a difference?

Some on this forum will know I like to experiment with MH related topics, I carried out a test to try to determine how fresh our tap water is, we know there are miles and miles of water pipes. Two months ago I dropped a small stick into our local reservoir and it has not appeared at the tap in our house yet – I will of course keep you updated.

Regards Terry

*-) :-)

Like Mel B, Starspirit, JohnP et al I have used water from the fresh water tank for a number of years with no ill effects - just used common sense to fill with fresh water before leaving home and drain down after use.

I used to use the puriclean tabs and they worked well but this year I am going to invest in one of the Naturepure Filters and taps so that we can have fresh water regardless of where we are and how well the water we take on board has been treated........

Regards, David

Archived