Hi-Viz Jackets prove their worth

Vixter

A couple of weeks ago we were driving through Somerset when one of the motorists worst nightmares became reality. We ran out of fuel.

We were actualy on the lookout for a suitable filling station, but being rather big we are limited to those with generous forecourts & high canopies - the fuel guage showed just under a quarter full, but that was clearly an optomistic reading. We began to climb Wraxhall Hill when it happened, I guess the fuel was actually really low and the incline of the hill caused it to run to the back of the tank and the engine conked out.

"B***** H***!" said the Other Half. It couldn't have been worse - an 'A' class road, on a hill, on a bend, on a Saturday. So there we were, 8.5 metres of Big Brian with Bridget on the trailer.

We allowed ourselves about 10 seconds to take stock, then the OH leapt out & controlled the traffic at the rear. I first rang the police then our friends at Wyvern Accessories at Shepton Mallet (our destination, about five miles away!) for help with a can of diesel.

Then I grabbed our Hi-Viz jackets, threw one at the OH and then went a few yards in front of Big Brian to control the traffic coming down the hill. Yes, we DO have warning triangles, but there was no opportunity to get them out & place them, we were too busy Stop/Starting the traffic.

It took about 20 minutes before two lovely lady PC's arrived with warning signs, flashing lights and their efficient traffic control. They were very nice & suprisingly sympathetic. Another five minutes and Tony arrived with the can of diesel.

There are several morals to this story, obviously the main one is never run low on fuel. But the second is NEVER EVER go anywhere without your Hi-Viz jacket or vest easily accessible in your vehicle. Even in a car one could find oneself in a nasty situation, wearing one really does make other road users take notice. Before the OH got out to control the traffic some drivers were taking horrendous risks passing us on the (blind) bend, and it could have happened at night or in poor visability... we were lucky!

Be safe, happy motorhoming!

Vixter

A cautionary tale indeed.  I'm so pleased you got going again without further mishap.

If people are thinking of getting a hi-viz jacket, and didn't want to pay Halford prices, we have just purchased a couple from the link below.  The nice thing is that they are NOT one-size-fits-all so you can choose a more comfortable size.

The prices start at £1.45 + VAT from http://www.hivis.net/c5/Hi-Vis-Vests

Way2Go - 2007-04-01 1:15 PM

A cautionary tale indeed.  I'm so pleased you got going again without further mishap

Yes indeed.If anyone isn't bothered about perfect fit, Poundland stock vests. We bought a couple for the van and a couple for the car.Graham

you missed one moral of your story vixter - never be so tight that you cant pay the sort of fuel prices we all have to put up with down yer. i just hope you dont cum to cornwall cus you be runninn out of fuel on every dangerous bend you come across. if our fuel [and water] prices keeps a few grockles and emmets out of cornwall this year then itll be a better place. am not being unfriendly, but us locals as ad darned enough.

f

Archived