Securing scooter in garage

Elaine

I have searched old threads but can't find anything relating on how to secure my scooter in the garage when travelling.

We have 4 eye anchors, two on each side which would allow us to secure it from moving in one direction. I would feel more comfortable if there was a way of securing the wheels to stop it moving backwards and forwards.

All suggestions most welcome.

Elaine

I've never tried to carry a scooter/motorcycle in a motorhome garage - only on a trailer. But the motorcycle/scooter stand is never used when the machine is being carried on a trailer and I wouldn't use it when carrying a motorcycle/scooter in a garage. If you've got four attachment eyes then the webbing straps need to be attached so that two (on opposite sides of the machine) pull it forwards and between them hold it upright while the other two pull it backwards and also (between them) hold it upright.

So, one strap pulls it forwards and left; the opposite strap pulls it forwards and right; the third pulls it backwards and left; and the fourth strap pulls it backwards and right.

Steve

We have carried mopeds in our motorhomes, actually in the van itself on occasions, and can confirm that we found putting the moped on the stand was the best bet - to avoid the see-saw effect we used to put a wedge under the front tyre to lift it up so that the rear tyre was touching the floor of the van. Once this was done we tied it securely as well, in a manner similar to that suggested as this then pulled the moped down onto it's suspension and made it nice and tight so it never moved even a quarter of an inch.

Putting a moped on a trailer has the advantage that it usually goes into a runner so that helps keep it from moving about as much as one just sitting inside a garage. If you do have a rail, though, obviously the use of the stand will make this obsolete.

So basically I would say if you have a rail for the scooter to sit in, don't use the stand just tie it securely, but if you don't have a rail, use the stand and secure as I've already suggested. One of the easiest ways to secure the scooter is to use some of the ratchet straps that can be bought quite cheaply, they are quick and easy to fit and can be tightened very securily.

Elaine. Fiamma make a scooter carrier which bolts to the floor of your motorhome. It comes in two pieces the other piece locates on one end and acts as a loading ramp. It works well, I,ve got one. The carrier stops all sideways movement and I stop any forward and backward movement with a rachet type strap through fixing eyes also made by Fiamma. Check out their website.

Thanks Geoff and Mel, had a look at the one on the fiamma site it looks a very safe way of transporting the scooter securley.

Could i fit one myself or are you better getting a professional to do it ?

That, Elaine, requires clairvoyance!  We don't know how competent you are at fixing scooter racks. 

With fair DIY skills it should be quite straightforward, but you'll have to look at the kit to see if the instructions, and your knowledge, seem adequate to the task. 

If in doubt, especially as you're concerned it should be safe, get a pro to do it.  Best solution for peace of mind?

If you come to any of the Warners shows we can show you how we secure our small motorbikes. A trough for the wheels to run in and a bolted ply wood cradle that sits under the two foot rests.

4 floor fixing U bolts and two ratchet straps per bike which provide effectively 4 corner tie downs.

Sounds complicated but it aint!

Good luck

C.

Hi Elain

If you ring Armitage Trailers (They advertise at the top of the forum) They will supply you with a 'Boot' which bolts to your floor and the scooter front wheel goes into this. A small ratchet strap through the boot/wheel and your scooter's going nowhere. They will also fit it & supply a ramp to run it up at a reasonable cost. Can't remember exactly but I think the 'boot' was about £60. It holds our scooter perfectly

Regards

Mike

Hi,

I always put my scooter on the stand when it goes in the garage, just make sure the stand is on a square of old carpet or a thin piece of plywood so that it doesn't mark the floor. I purchased four solid 'lay flat' handles from B&Q screwed them to the floor at each corner of the garage and fastened the scooter down onto them with ratchet straps. As an extra measure I used the chocks that came with the van to chock front and rear wheels. This has done us for several thousand miles without any problems. Total cost was £13.

Best of luck.

Clive

How about a piccy of your home made scooter securing device then (ah, I how fondly I remember the wonderful pictures of Pongo!).

Mel B

Clive - was George C poking fun at you in the latest MMM mag when he mentioned "instead of a wobbly tiddler with toy wheels you can have a proper bike"? 8-) (lol)

Mel B - 2007-04-03 7:48 PM

Clive

How about a piccy of your home made scooter securing device then (ah, I how fondly I remember the wonderful pictures of Pongo!).

Mel B

Clive - was George C poking fun at you in the latest MMM mag when he mentioned "instead of a wobbly tiddler with toy wheels you can have a proper bike"? 8-) (lol)

Hi Mel,

Well I built a trailer for the bikes but the securing method is equally applicable to a motorhome garage. I did make another ply wood cradle to be able to secure the bikes into a bigger two axle trailer I made many years back because we can then get both bikes and two commercial gazebos plus all the sides into the trailer. Alas its both dark and too b. cold to take piccies at the moment.

The latest on our web site are piccies of my youngest grand daughter Verity from 10 minutes after birth up to 8 months old. (http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Verity.htm) In Janets Corner under nature Notes Photographs is another menue for nature Notes Australia. (http://www.aqwc55.dsl.pipex.com/Nature%20notes%20Australia.htm) and in Clive,s corner under Holidays in the lower half are more piccies of Australia and my 9 relations who live around Perth. (http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Holidays.htm)

Have fun!

We have a 150cc scooter in the garage of our Hymer. It also has 4 securing bolts. All I do is to attach two straps at the front, hooking them over the "handlebars", and at the back I have a carrier that has an arm each side of the scooter onto which I attach the strap. I have tried using ratchet straps, but don't like them too much. The ones I use have a tensioning bit - just pull until it is tight, and then secure it.

I made a mistake first time I used the scooter - I pulled down really hard on the front forks to make the scooter "bomb-proof", but all this did was to put too much pressure on the oil seals of the front forks, which then started to leak. As long as your scooter doesn't move too much in a backward and forward direction it should be OK. I also use small wheel chocks behind each scooter tyre to prevent left and right movement.

Hope this helps. Happy scootering!

Colin Robinson.

Archived