Parking Advice anyone ? / Scout wanted

butch

We are currently considering a move to Motorhome from a tourer outfit. One thing that puzzles me is when visiting other towns & cities what are the laws / rules regarding parking a motorhome ? are you allowed to use a coach park ? We are contemplating an Autotrail Scout which I believe is in the region of 25'4" so obviously this would not fit into any standard car parking bay !! ermmm incidentally if anyone has a fairly recent Scout for sale please let me know.

I know that in Cumbria all traffic wardens are like little hitlers and would book you for overhang, taking up 2 parking bays etc etc. Hence the question and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Very thorny subject Parking!

Have a look at Graham's site http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/Default.htm

Might answer some of your queries. Scroll down and have a look at Cumbria

We are fed up trying to park in the UK so tow a car but we don't bother to take it abroad. It depends where you are trying to park, the rules of the particular council, the mood of the traffic warden etc etc!

Many thanks for the link to Grahams site.

I hadn't realised that parking was such a big deal ! And such a shame that Councils and Supermarkets dont grasp the nettle and make provision for Motorhomes - maybe someday ?

Incidentally if anyone visits Cockermouth the Aldi store has just installed cameras at the entrance and exit with automatic number plate recognition. After a public outcry (from there loyal customers) you can now park for free for 1 1/2 hours. It was initially only 1 hour and all the customers got automatic tickets for £70 reduced to £40 for payment within 14 days.

Ken

When parking I try to look for a Place with a suitable rear overhang if possible. My vehicle is 21feet long and this does cause problems at times especially in towns when it can be better to park outside and bus in or walk. Most car parks do not allow parking in the coach bays unless authorised by the attendant.

Winchester has Motorhome parking within a moderate walk to the town centre. Parking is on the Worthy road in front of a big hotel.

Our Scout (Merc) may be up for sale towards the end of this year if the house sale goes through and the trip to Dusseldorf is successfull. The new van will be Bigger not smaller as I want a garage able to cary two small motorcycles. She,s been loved and run on full synthetic oil.

Lots of "if,s" though.

Still dreamin!

C.

Archived