Overnight stops in Spain

Mel B

This is a good site for anyone going to Spain and wanting to use aires/overnight parking spots (call them what you will). It also has lots of links to the rest of Europe, we found this site by mistake looking for somewhere to stop next month near Barcelona, we were under the impression that we had to use a campsite in Spain but it seems some of northern Spain is now providing facilities for us "Yorkshire Skinflints!"

http://lapaca.org/areas/areas.html

(I am never sure whether to post these sorts of things on the "Sites" forum or the main "Motorhome" forum as not many peple seem to look at the "Sites" forum!) :-S

That's a useful site Mel.

I was reading on a Spanish motorhome forum that the Área de Sant Adrià del Besos (The Forum) in Barcelona, has spaces for 100 motorhomes and now costs 18 euros per night. Not bad for a city location.

There is 24 hour security as well.

We might give it a try next month, as we will be in the area.

Mel B - 2007-04-03 9:05 PM

Derek, when are you going? We're going over from mid-May travelling down through France from Calais.

One or two days between 18-21 April. My daughter's playing in a golf competition at Sant Cugat those days. She'll be staying in a hotel with her team so we will have time to watch her and see the city as well.

The last time I was in Barcelona was 1970 when I was 14, so I'm looking forward to going again!!

Mel, my wife, Ann and I are travelling down through France to Southern Spain in mid-May. We have never been abroad in our van before. In fact it will only be our first major trip anywhere! (Mad or brave? you decide!) We are going to have a 10 day "run in period" in the UK first then hit the road proper!

We are going to use a combination of aires, sites and "free camping" for our adventure. Our van is new and fitted with inverter, top up gas system and free view satellite, so what could possibly go wrong??

So if you see a new Avantgarde 140 and a couple looking lost and confused please stop!!

Tomo3090 - 2007-04-05 10:30 AM

Mel, my wife, Ann and I are travelling down through France to Southern Spain in mid-May. We have never been abroad in our van before. In fact it will only be our first major trip anywhere! (Mad or brave? you decide!) We are going to have a 10 day "run in period" in the UK first then hit the road proper!

We are going to use a combination of aires, sites and "free camping" for our adventure. Our van is new and fitted with inverter, top up gas system and free view satellite, so what could possibly go wrong??

So if you see a new Avantgarde 140 and a couple looking lost and confused please stop!!

I understand refillable gas stations are quite rare here in Spain. Make sure you top up in France before you cross the border.

Also, depending on the size of your dish, don't expect to see much UK (non Sky) TV once you're south of Barcelona.

Derek,

This motorhoming gets more confusing by the day! We were "advised" to get the re-fillable gas system because Calor is rare in France & Spain and lots of petrol stations have LPG filling points. Now you tell me it's rare in Spain! I guess it's barbees all the way then!

Still, it makes the trip interesting, and anyway we have booked the ferry so we are going anyway!

So Mel if you see 2 STARVING, lost & confused people by the road side in Spain, please stop!

As for the satellite, well we are wanting to live a more outdoor life and it was mostly for the UK and Ireland. I will be taking my guitar so I can get more practice in if I can't watch the telly, (or my Spanish will improve!)

I would recommend if you're going to be in Spain for a while to get hold of a 12.5kg Repsol/Cepsa bottle. Assuming you have space to keep it.

Driving around looking for specific refillable gas locations, often on industrial estates, can be a pain.

Availability for changing bottles is widespread, almost every petrol station.

The price of the refiills is government controlled and last week they dropped from 11.80 to 11.58 euros per bottle, 46c per litre. About £7.90 or 31p per litre.

Thanks for the info Motorhomer, They should keep me going. As I said in a previous posting, I think we will be barbeeing, (is that a word?) and using the fresh roast chicken stands for most of our meals anyway. Hopefully we won't need too much gas for heating in Southern France and Spain either.

Either way I'm sure we can cope, (said he with the confidence of someone new to the game!), or if not Mel B will rescue us!!

:-D :-D

Tomo3090 - 2007-04-06 2:30 PM

Hopefully we won't need too much gas for heating in Southern France and Spain either.

I find it's the fridge/freezer that uses our gas up. 22.5g/hr. if on all the time. Dometic reckon at ambient temperature of 25 celsius, 15.8g/hr.

We used one cylinder of calor gas 7k and two of the what was 7lb camping gas over a five week period last year in France. Mixed weather ie cold nights yet some very very hot days otheer days mixture of cloudy to a few rainy days. That was for fridge most of the time only about 5 days on hook up on a site, coffee & teas every day & boiling water for washing up etc as its cheaper than putting the water heater on gas Alo it would use far too much gas. Our next van will have a refillable.

Motorhomer

• 2 weeks later...
derek500 - 2007-04-02 10:13 PM

That's a useful site Mel.

I was reading on a Spanish motorhome forum that the Área de Sant Adrià del Besos (The Forum) in Barcelona, has spaces for 100 motorhomes and now costs 18 euros per night. Not bad for a city location.

There is 24 hour security as well.

We might give it a try next month, as we will be in the area.

Just an update. We used this Aire/carpark on Wednesday night. It is 18 euros per night and an extra 3 for water/electricity - we didn't need them.

It's about 5-10 minute walk to the nearest Metro and eight stops to the city centre.

The Metro is cheap, 1.25 flat fare or you can buy a '10' ticket for 6.90 or a 1 or 2 day pass. You can use the ticket on Metro, Bus or Tram. There is a tram stop right outside the site, but we just used the Metro.

The site is 24 hour manned by security guards and there are barriers to get in and out.

It's also a lorry park and was a bit noisy during the evening and early morning, but for such a great, central location, it was worth the pain.

The GPS location was spot on and we found it easily.

Archived