TV's & Invertors

Tanskavan

Hi,

I am at the point of buying a LCD TV/DVD. I would also like some information on invertors

Q1 - Can I use an inverter from the vehicle battery to power the TV without the engine running?

Q2 - If I can, how long will I be able to watch the TV?

Q3 - The Battery is under the bonnet, should I try to position the inverter nearby or do you try to locate it inside the cab area?

Q4 - The largest appliance would be the TV therefore what size would be the best one for me?

These questions might seem basic but I ama novice in this type of technology

Tony

Hello Tony,

Much has been discussed in the past on this subject which I have found extremely informative. Some of the experts, I suspect, are a little weary of answering versions of this question. Suggest you use the search facility ( see top of page ) on log in. Should put you right.

Regards, Mike

Hi Tony,

Yes you could use an inverter to power your TV but personally I would try to use a DC to DC converter as its more efficient to only convert once. LCD TVs are almost all DC opwered and usually come with a 240VAC to low voltage DC PSU in the power lead. To use an inverter you are converting 12VDC to 240VAC then the PSU is converting it back down to a low voltage (often 12 V but not always) DC for the TV.

Why do you intend to use it from the vehicle battery though? I would run it from the leisure battery so as not to flatten the starter battery. Place your inverter as close as possible to the battery and if necessary use an extension lead on the 240VAC side of things.

D.

I am sure than an answer to your question will also apear in MMM in the not too distant future, if its hasn,t already. Dave and I give similar advice although the emphasis changes slightly between us. Not a lot though!

Just one thought, if you start with a TV.DVD player today, will you get a recoder tomorrow and a satellite system the day after? If this is a posibility will all this kit be suitable for running from the 12 volt leisure battery or would it be more convienient to use a small inverter to run the lot?

Gets confusing doesn,t it?

C.

Archived