Upright spare wheel holder/bracket/support

Pablo79

Hi all. My motorhome has a spare wheel the garage, which takes up floor space. I can't hang it below the floor due to the grey water tank, so instead I'd like to stand it upright against the back wall.

The load will mostly be downward, and a suitably thick piece of ply is on floor to spread the load. However, I'd like to fix it to the rear wall somehow, to prevent it tipping forward under braking. Any ideas on a fixing/bracket, and one that will within the weight of the wheel under braking?

My Hymer MLT has a rear wall mounted bracket but the spare is mounted on the outside of the wall. There is a largish plate to spread the load on the interior wall but then the bolts simply protrude to the exterior. There is no other visible reinforcement to the floor. The spare wheel is quite heavy with an off-road tyre so changing a flat would induce some huffing and puffing. The downside comes if you want a rear cycle carrier. I solved this by getting a 3 cycle Thule towbar mounted rack and then fitting a Thule 'spare wheel adapter' (designed for land rovers etc) which in effect cuts into the first cycle bay, reducing the carrier to 2 bikes. Of course I am not sure if all MH walls are of equal strength.

Thanks for that. I'm looking to keep the wheel on the inside, as I have a carrier already mounted on the outside. The space is there; I just need to figure out the support without drilling through the back all.

The floor has ply support. I could put some on the back wall, kept in place by large L/London brackets. This might be sufficient, though perhaps not the tidiest option

I carry a spare wheel and tyre in the garage of my Hymer. It rests on the floor to avoid straining any wall fittings. It is stopped from rolling side to side by 2 curved caravan wheel chocks similar to these.

Link to Towsure

There is a track fixed along the inner rear wall with adjustable eyes which I use as securing points for the straps that hold the wheel in place.

https://www.thefiammacentre.co.uk/fiamma-garage-bars.html

I have used this method for about 5 years with no major issues, although the chocks can ‘walk’ a little over time.

Davy

(Link shortened to correct page width error)

Hi Pablo, I've gone for fixing my spare against the forward wall in the garage. Using the chocks normally for wheel ramps to stop sideways movement & a couple of ratchet straps to stop any fore/aft movement.

It eliminates the possibility of the spare falling forward when braking & also has the advantage of it's weight being closer to the rear axle.

It's also very easy to release quickly, instead of having to clamber into the garage & undo the nuts or trying to relocate the wheel onto the studs.

Archived