Gaslow quote

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a quote from CMR for a 2 x 11 kg bottles. parts come to approx £470 + £80 labour (if I go to Hampshire) that is with auto change over and 2 x steel hoses + £25 for gas

that's around £575, what do you think?

seems expensive...

Try MTH - I found them significantly cheaper than Gaslow when I got my system a couple of years' ago. I also found them very helpful and I reckon their cylinders are better built. They also have a GENUINE readout of amount in the cylinder via a float gauge on top - invaluable in a refillable cylinder.

They'll be at Peterborough Show, or visit:

www.mthautogas.co.uk

for more details. Also, some interesting details on the Self-Builders' Forum at:

http://tinyurl.com/2o44b7

Incidentally, although space saving was the main reason, I saved money by fitting only a single 12Kg refillable cylinder, though the system also has a changeover switch so that I can fit a ground-mounted spare in case of dire need. So far not needed it, even tho' we had the heating on every evening for 4 weeks in northern Norway/Finland last year. We refilled once - and Norway has only some 20 refill points. But our fridge is electric, not gas.

Mel E

====

Very Very expensive. Takes about an hour £80 ????????

I paid about £320 for the same set up but with the manual change over and fitted it in an hour.

Try www.motorcaravanning.co.uk who provided excellent service

I did not go for the autochange over as I wanted to no when I was running out of gas. I may be wrong but when it changes over unless you check it frequently, when its empty, its empty. With manual at least I no when to get a top-up.

If your not confident at fitting it, approach a local plumber whom at least should be under £80

mine was £270 but it was year and a half ago and i fitted it my self .seems quite a mark up on price in such a short time i have the manual system but have the gaslow gauge in the motorhome to warn me if the gas is going low

Guest JudgeMental

Gremlins at work again - site down last night and has seemed to wipe a number of posts....

Thanks again chaps!

Will check out Mel's recommendation next week. I have heard in the past that lightweight (aluminium?) bottles are best avoided?

Not keen on under slung bulk tank - as I think they are not allowed on tunnel, are not really interchangeable between vehicles and have more space with enormous garage then I know what to do with.

Terry, CMR prices close to your Brownhills spec - so thanks for that.

Hi Judge,

Don't know where CMR get their prices from, I can only think they have miss quoted you somewhere (giving them the benefit of the doubt) just checked Waudbys site see

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/refillable_cylinders.html

and for 2x 11 kg cylinders, filling kit, second cylinder hose and auto change over system complete with new governor the parts come to £280.90. Even with the Electra remote gas indicator, which is essential if you go down the auto changeover route IMO, it is only another £54.95.

Gas is a further £18.90 @ £0.45 per litre so the £25 for the gas doesn't look good either to me, especially as you can get the gas for as low as £0.35 per litre for domestic use.

I believe it is this overcharging that is making the Gaslow systems seem expensive to some as the prices I have seen people speaking of just do not tally with the prices I paid.

Personally I am in agreement with the previous poster and would not have auto change over for the same reasons, I want to know when my first cylinder is out.

Bas

JudgeMental - 2007-04-06 12:33 PM

Gremlins at work again - site down last night and has seemed to wipe a number of posts....

Thanks again chaps!

Will check out Mel's recommendation next week. I have heard in the past that lightweight (aluminium?) bottles are best avoided?

Not keen on under slung bulk tank - as I think they are not allowed on tunnel, are not really interchangeable between vehicles and have more space with enormous garage then I know what to do with.

Terry, CMR prices close to your Brownhills spec - so thanks for that.

Not quite correct

Its gas tanks for gas powered vehicles that are not allowed, because if you turn off the gas the vehicle won,t go.

Cooking and heating tanks are OK as you can (ans should) turn them off.

Hi Judge

If you look at Gaslow site and find there recommended agents ( Fitting as well ) you may find as I did, someone who will fit the system closer to were you live and may be cheaper I gort mine fitted for £350 with cylinders filled but they where only 7kg cylinders but auto change over, also the gas only cost £9.50. This was a Gaslow agent in Darlington

Terry

JudgeMental:

The "lightweight" user-refillable LPG bottles to which you refer are made by Komposit-Praha Ltd (www.komposit-praha.cz) in the Czech Republic, and marketed in the UK by MTH Gas Systems Ltd (www.mthautogas.co.uk).

Composite-construction ('plastic') gas canisters are increasingly being used in the exchangeable LPG bottle market. In France there are the Butagaz Viseo and Antargaz Calypso products, both containing 10kg of butane (no propane versions) and with Calypso being produced by Kompozit-Praha. In the UK (and some other European countries) there is BP's "GasLight" container in 5kg and 10kg sizes (propane only).

For a motorcaravanner, (ignoring the weight-saving) the upside of using a composite bottle as a replenishable gas resource is that (if you stick to just one bottle) it's likely to be significantly cheaper than any other refillable system. However, as composite bottles are 'single hole' they fill through the output valve, so remote-refilling via a bodywork-mounted fill-point is impossible. Also the lack of an 80% cut-off feature means that one must exploit the translucency of the composite material to decide how much gas can safely be put in. This is seldom easy and must be considered the composite bottle's biggest drawback.

I obtained my present 5kg-capacity composite bottle from MTH Gas Systems some years ago when it was the only refillable container that would fit my Herald's gas-locker. Nowadays I'd probably choose an MTH-marketed metal canister (as mentioned by Mel E) - definitely technically superior to the Gaslow bottles and with an accurate contents gauge.

JudgeMental - 2007-04-05 3:11 PM

Just had a quote from CMR for a 2 x 11 kg bottles. parts come to approx £470 + £80 labour (if I go to Hampshire) that is with auto change over and 2 x steel hoses + £25 for gas

that's around £575, what do you think?

seems expensive...

If you see the size of the big petrol powered yanky RV Terry brings plus the BIG twin axle trailer on which he carries his show runabout towed behind, perhaps he needs to charge a premium to cover his overheads?

But, none of it is rocket science and the link given to Waudby,s web site shows prices that would certainly encourage me to DIY if that was what I wanted to do. For me, an underslung bulk tank made more sence.

Guest JudgeMental

Quote from MTH this morning a much more reasonable £460.00. this includes 2 x 11kg bottles/2 adaptors (one is included) but not gas. they take you to local garage show you how to fill then leak test....

bit of a trek to Gloucester but as they are in the forest of dean maybe worth stopping over.

hi judge

Not sure whereabouts you are but if you are not worried about travelling and would make a weekend of it give Autogas 2000 at Thirsk (North Yorks) a try.

Steve Wise runs it and he put our two 11kg gaslow's in last year. He also markets a very impressive and much superior refillable bottle with contents gauge in 7kg and 11kg sizes but they are nearly twice the price of gaslow cylinders.

Their number is - 01845 523213 or check http://www.autogas.co.uk/

Best regards, David

Interesting that the price is dropping I wonder why?

But thats still £180 more than buying the bits and DIYing it, after all you have no doubt changed a gas cylinder before so why do you not think you can screw two Gaslow cylinders together? As your van is a new one it will already have the 30mb reg so you just need to fit that with the Gaslow adaptor and it is then the same as fitting a standard cylinder. You can use the filling kit adaptor plate inside you gas locker if you don't feel confident about drilling into your bodywork.

Come to that I don't think you are 80 miles from me, get the bits or get them down here and I'll do it for you for free if you can't do it yourself!

Bas

MTH had pitches for customers with hookup last time I looked. But its also nice to have a ratchet with Richard and see exactly what he is doing as the job progresses. You know how workmen love being watched!

Its your money.

Good luck

C.

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2007-04-10 3:21 PM

Come to that I don't think you are 80 miles from me, get the bits or get them down here and I'll do it for you for free if you can't do it yourself!

Bas

Bless you Basil!

the 30mb regulator in mine is not wall mounted - pipe just comes into locker and regulator screwed straight on to bottle?

MTH price includes new regulator as well. would take you up on your kind offer but would be concerned about ordering all the correct bits - at least if I go to them they will have everything at hand.

MTH charge a reasonable £30 for fitting. I am sure you would cost me considerably more then that in alcohol! :-D :-D :-D

I am very interested in the pros and cons of Gaslow versus Bulk Tank. The regulations regarding fitment and use (including channel tunnel crossing) will be the same, so it comes down to cost and convenience. On balance it would appear to me that the Bulk Tank approach is the better option due to the requirement for less pipework (tank interconnections) and no requirement for switch over kit, plus it frees up a new locker (what was the gas bottle locker)

Forgot to say that it appears that the Bulk Tank option also offers an in MH readout of content whereas I understand (correct me if I am wrong) the Gaslow does not. Also in favour of the Bulk Tank approach there is much greater range of choice for LPG storage capacity. Looks like Bulk Tank is the way to go unless I am missing something (probably)

Archived