Fuel Gauge Not Working

AliB

Swift 630L Fiat Ducato 2.3 2008

Last October the fuel gauge stopped working. A Multiecuscan showed no faults. Trying the actuators from the software would move every gauge but the fuel gauge. The connectors on top of the fuel tank looked good and I was confident the problem was with the instrument cluster. I left it for 2 days before returning to the storage site to remove the cluster. I gave it another scan and after 2 or 3 activations the fuel gauge started to move.

All good and it continued working on my monthly drive around throughout the winter.

Starting the motorhome last week the fuel gauge and the rev counter gave no response. It had been the best part of 2 months since the last start up and drive around. (Silly me).

A scan showed no faults and after about 10 minutes of trying I was able to swing the rev counter. The fuel gauge will not budge despite trying every day.

I am certain the fault lies within the instrument cluster which I have now removed.

There are various companies who offer an online service/repair.

The nearest to me is Revtronic in Bradford.

Has anyone used this company.

I would guess that the problem is just a sticky pointer which presumably is attached to a small motor. That leads me on to the next question, is it feasible to perform a DIY repair on the cluster. It does not look too difficult to open the cluster. Would spare parts be available, am I likely to mess up the calibration or anything else?

I have read Pyrie’s thread about his similar problem. Disturbing that the problem returned after being repaired by Cartronix.

Thanks Alan, that thread was really useful. The good news is that all the gauges are now working.

I removed the instrument pod and gently prised apart the the 2 halves of the unit. This gave access to the needles. I carefully moved the fuel needle which at first had a little resistance but then it moved freely.

All back together and I used the OBDII scanner to move all the needles several times. All good.

As Alan's link stated these stepper motors can stick. I did see some reconditioned ones offered on ebay.

There are no markings on the motors unless there is anything on the hidden side. They look easy to replace but I'll stick with the original ones for now maybe adding a drop of lubricant if the fault returns.

11316167_FuelGaugeimage.jpg.072a49f386453d4f3ae01a8cdf0a9faa.jpg

Archived