12v supply for Dometic fridge

rooster63

Just been away in our new van, couple of niggles. The fridge won’t run on 12v when engine is running. Display panels suggests checking fuse. Any idea where that fuse would be on a Fiat Ducato pvc Timberland Destiny. It’s none of the fuses on the internal fuse box for the habitation electrics.

If the fuse for fridge 12V power is, as you state, not included in the 12V distriution board, I would look for a 20A inline fuse close to the starter battery.

If further help is required please give version of base vehicle e.g. Fiat Ducato x250. Also please include make of 12V electrical installation e.g. CBE, Schaudt, Sargent, etc.

Alan

The electrics are controlled by a Sargent EC328. Have located the fuse for the fridge, there is a small fuse box behind the driver's seat and the fuse is clearly marked. There are further fuses and also RCBs located with the main distribution box/charger in one of the over head lockers. Have changed the fuse, still not working when engine is running. Fridge is a Thetford N3000 and it works fine on gas and 240V. The van is fitted with a solar panel and I have read somewhere that the fridge needs a 12V supply and won't work if the volts are less than about 9V which could be the case if the fridge is trying to take power from the solar panel. Not sure if that is valid or not

Hopefully dealer I bought the van from will sort it out but just wondered if there was an obvious quick fix as the dealer is 70 miles away.

Base van is Fiat Ducato 130 multijet

PS there are no fuses on the starter battery.

You were not certain, that the fridge was trying to draw its 12V power from your solar panel.

A possible scenario is that the D+ connection is not reaching and/or not operating the fridge relay. Sargent drawings typically show a blue wire for this connection.

With Sargent systems the fridge relay output is also used to operate the split charge relay, and other items such as automatic electrically operated step retraction.

With the fridge relay and hence the split charge relay not operating, there would be no alternator charge to the habitation battery, but in recent days this could have been replaced by charging from the solar panel.

Alan

Looks like I’ll have to leave it to the professionals. The van is under warranty just the inconvenience of arranging to get it fixed as dealer is 70 miles away.. Had hoped there was an easy quick fix. Not that impressed with dealer’s pre-delivery service as besides missing the fact the tyres were more than 10 years old (admittedly new tyres paid for and fitted at local tyre place) have also discovered that the ignition wasn’t working on cooker, sorted with a new 9V battery, the spring is broken on the latch of fridge and spring on one of the cooker knobs is broken so knob just rotates doing nothing. Have sorted the last 2 faults myself as prepared to give dealer some credit for sorting tyres out promptly and disruption to normal standards of service due to COVID..

Apart from that there the van is a step up in terms of luxury and comfort so looking forward to many trips in it.

Archived