Waking up the MH from a long sleep

StuartO

I had an MOT done last July because it was going to be a better time of year for it but apart from a drive to warm the engine properly and check brakes etc, our 2006 Hymer B674 hadn't turned wheel since October 2019 so what would still be working, would the engine even start? The MH had been parked at home with EHU plugged in and I had checked that all appeared well with the electrics from time to time during storage and on the face of it the bateries had stayed fully charged.

Unfortunately the engine wouldn't start and from the weak and feeble starter motor efforts that wasn't really surprising; the starter battery was over eight years old so it was overdue for replacement anyway. The engine did start as soon as I attached another, good, battery using jump leads so I then ran it for a good hour, to get it thoroughly warmed through. It would have been better to drive it but it's not taxed yet so that can wait until the month turns. New battery ordered on line for delivery tomorrow, so far so good.

Next I tried to run the fridge on gas; not immediately successful but the burner burst into life audibly once I used the gas hob to ensure there was gas all the way through the pipes. So far so very good, I had been half expecting trouble with the fridge but there was a warm feeling at the upper fridge vent outside and the surface of the freezer compartment was feeling cold so huarrah for 15 year old Dometic fridges I say! Water into the tank, the pump works, the hot water boiler and pipes filled and the heating came on running on gas too - yipee!

Still plenty to do; checking the fridge and heating on electric for starters. The top of the MH is pretty filthy having been stored outside and having survived for 76 years and having banned myself from climbing up there, I've booked a professional valeting service to tackle that - and to give the MH a polish as well as a good wash. The inside has stayed pretty clean and doesn't smell, of damp or anything else, thanks to ventilation and mouse traps during storage and Hymer's build quality 15 years ago.

Domestically therefore the MH is looking pretty good but even though it had a mechanical service just before going into service it should at least have a mechanical once over, even if the oil and filters should still be OK. And it's time it had another cam belt change so I'll arrange that sooner rather than later.

So I'll fit the new starter battery next, which I remember being surprisingly easy eight years ago, despite the seemingly awkward access, even though it had to be done on a car park in France with minimal tools. Last time the starter battery had ropes either end so it was possible to grab one and yank the battery out like delivering a baby but the replacement had no ropes so maybe it will be more of a challenge. And then she'll be easy to start again and we'll move her back within range of the EHU, try the domestic services on electric and tax her on May 1st and take her for a decent drive. I'm pleased I took a bit of trouble putting her into storage carefully; it seems to have paid off.

I spoke too soon of course. The pipe connection to the waste from the swingwall sink in the bathroom had detached itself again, despite the cable tie I had applied last time. Joint dismantled and refitted with some sealant to help it stay in place this time.

But the new starter battery has arrived from Tanya Batteries, excellent service again. Got it on charge overnight before installing tomorrow.

Hope you are venturing out in it soon Stuart. We woke our MH up after 9 months lay-up last week. Glorious weather apart from freezing cold mornings. A trip north to see family culminating in a stay up near Robin Hood's Bay. Mainly off grid so the twits that we are soon discovered our "B" leisure battery couldn't cope. I've told him in doors it is high time he read the manuals. I do my best, with the help of others on this forum but electrics remain a complete mystery to me.

Veronica

I note that your long-suffering husband replaced your motorhome’s leisure battery in 2019 "because we managed to fry the old one”.

Did you carefully maintain the charge-state of the battery while your motorhome was in storage, and was the battery bought in 2019 a good ‘un with plenty of capacity?

If you are going to tour off-grid this time of year and want ‘home comforts’, you’ll either need a lot of battery-capacity or you’ll be over-discharging the poor little mite and risk permanently damaging it.

The new starter battery is in and working; much more of a struggle than I remember from last time to get the old one out but I suppose I’m eight critical years older this time. For anyone doing this job on an X244 Fiat based MH the trick is to loop a strap around the battery to allow you to pull it out as you tilt it upwards.

The checklist is now complete apart from running the fridge on 12v, as we do when driving so I’ll check that when I take her for a longish run on or after May 1st when she’ll be taxed.

Archived