Rear View Camera

Peter Pan

To go with my new Hobby Van (delivery now early May) I have decided that the wife will probably get fed-up with jumping out the van and looking like a Wally whilst giving me reversing directions using a walkie-talkie, so I am going to invest in a rear view camera.

To make installation easier, I like the idea of a wireless system. Can anyone give me recommendations of their good experiences with this type of system?

:-S

Peter

Not sure if this will help, since it is not strictly a reply to your question, but Waeco have recently introduced a twin view camera that gives a normal rear view - in lieu of the normal rear view mirror (which will be unusable on the Hobby), that switches to an alternative downwards view when reverse gear is selected.  The drawback is that it is not, so far as I'm aware, a radio transmitted picture so would require hard wiring.

I've been unable to find out much about it in UK, but it was featured a couple of months back in a French magazine.  From what I could see, it seemed the rear view camera to end all, especially for motorhomes with no rear window.

From personal experience, a permanent rear view camera is more worthwhile that one that only operates when reversing, since it enables you to monitor those who follow in your blind spot, like motorcyclists, but inevitably also gives some useful rear vision to aid reversing, except for the last few feet, for which I still think "eyes on legs" are preferable.

I too was planning to fit a radio rear view system but was strongly advised against. Apart from the obvious sources of interference, anythin large and metallic, such as the fridge, will affect signal reception.

I've wired two 'vans for rv cameras and never had a problem hiding the cable.

Note this topic is the subject of a separate current thread.

Forget wireless connection.

A few pointers :-

1) The rear view camera is far too usefull to be used only for reversing.

2) You need to run a power cable to it anyway and this supply needs to be switched OFF when the ignition is turned OFF so that means a cable to the front. The cable they supply with a quality CCTV system includes the coax alongside the power cores all inside the same sheath. With the Orlaco system I have there is one cable assy (power and video) between camera and monitor and the key switched power is fed to the monitor only.

It can control several cameras, sat nav etc if you are so inclined.

3) As an alternative to two cameras it is possible to have one wide angle camera that covers from the horizon to (almost) the back of the van. I can reverse a trailer using only the camera system. (I have no option anyway!!)

But Two cameras is a good way as well.

My system can be found on :-

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

The information provided by a good camera system is far more usefull than a reversing distance alarm.

Hope that helps.

Just to add to Clive's comment re the wide angle lens, this is very subjective, but my own experience with a wide angle rear view camera (not the same kind Clive has, though) is that rather like a heavily convex rear view mirror, it does distort distance. 

On fast dual carriageways or motorways, especially on long curves, it can make those split-second judgements on the distance and speed of closing traffic (the ones you can't yet seen in the cab mirrors), just that bit more tricky.  Thus, as you catch up the proverbial HGV, it can be a bit difficult to tell if you can pull out to overtake it, without making those closing on you brake while you overtake.  In retrospect, I'd sooner have had a narrower camera angle, and a more realistic representation of the road behind.  I just felt that at times I was spending a bit too long for comfort looking at the monitor, while trying to work out what was catching me and how quickly it was doing so, when I should have been concentrating on the road (and vehicle) ahead.

Of course, no camera protects you from the HGV driver who then carefully co-ordinates his overtaking manoeuvre with yours!

Clive & Brian

Thanks for your advice. I think I will give the wireless system a miss.

I have looked at the review in MMM 'Improve Your Motorhome' part 1, of the Camos. It was installed by Brownhills (who are supplying my Hobby) and although it is pricey (installed), it sounds like it will meet my requirements. So maybe I will take the easy way out & get Brownhills to fit one before collection.

Peter

Re Camos,

I understand from an other (as it is not a subject I am up to speed on) that the Camos dome and other systems with small dishes have limited capabilities in the South of France, If this is your intended resting place then a bigger dish may be advantageous.

Clive, i think he was referring to a Camos rear view camera system rather than the sat dome. Camos are a good brand name and their cameras are up there with the best, IP56 or better rated, can withstand 10G shock loadings, colour or black and white available, infra red leds for night time use (of debatable value in my opinion but most are doing this now). Not cheap systems but I use them along with Waeco because I know they'll still be working in 6 years time.

D.

You're very welcome Peter. From time to time people will pop up saying how wonderful their camera system they got from e-bay for 50 pence is but I've replaced too many of these cheap systems to trust them. As Clive says, you need to run a power feed to the camera anyway so a wireless camera is a nonsense.

D.

Yes I am one of those that has a '50p' camera system of e-bay that pops up from time to time and it is far superior to the Waeco one it replaced in operation and I would reccomend anyone else to do it and save money! Clearly after only one year of use I cannot say how long it will outlast the overpriced systems but as it only cost me £79 and it is now available for £34.95 I can buy ten to one of the high priced ones so if it was only one a year I am still in pocket, however I have every expectation that it will last as long as the others!

Price is just no longer a guide to quality nowdays, especially when you can buy direct from the far eastern manufacturer and cut out all the middle men that add their bit. It's a bit like buying your Hymer from a German supplier you can save thousands and lots on here advocate that so why does there always seem to be such an attemp to discredit other things that can be bought at better value for money?

Bas

I knew I'd get someone to respond to my "50P" remark, no offence intended Bas it was just a bit of TIC. I only use good quality camera systems from suppliers I know I can trust because I need to know that I can provide a sensible warranty on them. When I first started my business two years ago I had some dealings with a company I found on E Bay, long story short they went belly up and left me with two 15" LCD monitors that were faulty, I had to refund on them and it cost me dear. That does not mean that every dealer on E Bay is dodgy of course or that equipment bought off E Bay is inferior, there are many good deals to be had but you need to know what you're buying.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-04-10 6:56 AM

Clive, i think he was referring to a Camos rear view camera system rather than the sat dome. Camos are a good brand name and their cameras are up there with the best, IP56 or better rated, can withstand 10G shock loadings, colour or black and white available, infra red leds for night time use (of debatable value in my opinion but most are doing this now). Not cheap systems but I use them along with Waeco because I know they'll still be working in 6 years time.

D.

Yes,

Occasonally I have to talk out of my fundemental orifice so that people realise that I am human!!

Pancakes?

Archived