Current cost of a Cam Belt change?

StuartO

My MH is due for a cam belt replacement soon; it's a 2006 2.8JTD X244 Hymer B674 and I've never paid more then £500 in the past. The Fiat Professional Dealer in East Anglia (The Desira Group) are quoting £1,180, based on 3½ hours labour and replacing both cambelt and auxilary belts and also the water pump. They are assuming that because it's a Hymer they will need to remove the bumper and therefore take an extra hour to do the job. Their labour rate is £93 per hour plus VAT.

I can't see the justification for this price - has anyone else had the job done recently and what did you pay?

Hi, Had mine changed about 2 weeks ago, belt only the garage said it didn't require a new water pump. My local Fiat Main dealer wanted just under £1000 just for the belt change and the garage charged me £322. My van has only covered 14000 miles.

Stuart - I have literally just walked in the door from having mine done today on my 2.8JTD, 2004 vintage.

£335.70 inc VAT

The time required for this job is 31/2 to 4hrs!

That makes your quote £250+ per hour plus parts!

Incidentally I am fairly certain that the water pump is not driven from the timing belt, but from the auxiliary belt, so there is no real need to change it unless it is faulty.

Jeremy

BS20’s motorhome is a 2005 Autocruise “Starfire” and, whether the Peugeot Boxer base-vehicle was built in 2005 or the motorhome was UK-registered in that year, the motor should be a 2.2HDi PSA 4HY (2179cc) single-overhead-camshaft 8-valve unit that definitely does have a timing-belt not a timing-chain.

The Autocruise “Starfire” name was still used after Swift took over Autocruise, but all online information indicates that a 2007 “Stafire”(built on a Peugeot Boxer ‘X250’ base) would be the earliest to have the Ford “Puma”-derived (2198cc) double-overhead-camshaft 16-valve powerplant that does have a timing-chain.

The differing frontal treatment makes it easy to distinguish between the two versions of Boxer base vehicle. The upper photo attached below is of a 2005-registered Starfire built on a Boxer ‘X244’ base (hence its 2.2 litre motor will have a timing-belt) while the lower photo is of a 2007-registered Starfire built on a Boxer ‘X250’ base (hence its 2.2 litre motor will have a timing-chain).

943621932_2005starfire.png.177b5b33c1973710ed9bd492741803ca.png

237659369_2007starfire.jpg.eb9e6bf166d184a0d44fc0ad2061bcc4.jpg

• 7 months later...

A week ago I asked the Fiat Professional agency nearest to my home to give me estimates for a timing-belt change for my 2015 Fiat-Ducato-based Rapido 640F motorhome (now gone to pastures new). I asked for two estimates - one using ‘Fiat-labelled’ parts and the other using ‘pattern’ (aftermarket) parts - and I specified that the work should NOT include replacement of the water-pump.

I was told by the FP agency that they would no longer use aftermarket parts, as they’d had problems over ordering such parts and, on delivery, finding that the wrong parts had been sent - but they had adjusted their prices to make them more competitive for the same task when aftermarket parts were being used.

The estimate (VAT inc) for the task comprised £239 for the parts and £336 for labour - a total of £575.

When was the cambelt last changed and how many miles have you done since last change? I have the same engine in our Dethleffs Esprit 7870 tag axle and had a full service and cambelt changed 4 years ago in Spain at Hispavan in Antas, the cost was less than 500 euros. The UK main dealer labour costs are so expensive.

I assume your questions relate to stevec175's posting.

His Ducato-based Rapido 665F motorhome is a 2016 model and - after 5 years - its timing-belt will be due for its first replacement. For motorhomes the belt's 'life' will almost always be based not on mileage, just on age.

As I've said before, when a Ducato's timing-belt is replaced the cost of the task can vary significantly depending on whether the parts used are 'Fiat labelled' or 'aftermarket'. As an example, in March 2020 a Fiat Professional agent gave me two estimates for replacement of a X290 Ducato timing-belt and water-pump. The labour cost in both cases was £351. The cost of 'Fiat labelled' parts was £503.54 and of 'aftermarket' parts £253.54 - a difference of £250. (All prices VAT inc.)

Unless I actually lived abroad I wouldn't consider having routine servicing carried out outside the UK. This is simply because of the risk factor and the potential repercussions if things went pear-shaped. This recent forum thread says it all...

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Sheared-bolt-problem-engine-removal-at-Fiat-professional-garage-Advice-please-/58870/

Archived