Tow car and A Frame

AKins2021

Hi, I am thinking about getting a tow car and light weight A Frame with electronic braking for my motorhome. Does anyone know where I can buy a car with A Frame already setup? I'm looking for a 2015-2016 car, potentially a Skoda Citigo.

Thanks in advance

AKins2021 - 2021-05-11 1:20 AM

Thanks I'll take a look

This is not just "a look' situation. This is serious and more so under general distrust between EU and UK. Even if you opt to use a trailer instead of the illegal drawbar, all trailers (unlike UK) now have to be separately registered for use in the EU.

curdle - 2021-05-10 9:45 PM

... all trailers (unlike UK) now have to be separately registered for use in the EU.

This gov.uk website

https://www.gov.uk/register-trailer-to-take-abroad

advises as follows

You must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before you can drive through some countries in Europe.

A trailer carrying a small car and towed by a privately-owned UK-registered motorcaravan will not be ‘commercial’ and is most unlikely to exceed the 3500kg limit.

This gov.uk website provides guidance on A-frame usage

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies

Towing behind a motorcaravan a car on an A-frame has been discussed (argued over) on motorhome forums repeatedly for more than 20 years. The following list relates to entries on the Motorhome Matters forum from 2010 forwards.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=a-frame&author=&days=&Submit=Search

Regarding stevec176’s earlier comment "Don't forget you won't be able to use your A frame on the continent.

There’s no doubt that certain Continental European countries (eg. Spain) have a specific national law prohibiting a motor vehicle from towing another motor vehicle (unless the latter is on a trailer), while other countries (eg France) may have motoring regulations that the A-frame towing practice conflicts with. But whether EVERY Continental European country has such laws has (too the best of my knowledge) never been researched.

This long webpage is headed "Towing With A Motorhome 2021 Guide – Are A-Frames Legal In The EU?”

https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/towing-with-a-motorhome/

and may be worth AKins2021 wading through. It includes a video from LNB Towbars that puts forward a ’technical’ argument for A-framing towing by a UK-registered vehicle being legal abroad, but LNB Towbars are suppliers of A-frames and their advice (in my jaundiced opinion) is based on a flawed initial premise.

Do not forget that, at least in Italy even if I imagine that it applies everywhere in Europe, special extensions of the usual B, C1 and C licenses are provided for towing trailers over 750Kg:

B96

Vehicle complexes with a maximum authorized mass exceeding 3500 kg and up to 4250 kg.

BE

Category B tractor and trailer with maximum authorized mass greater than 750 kg and up to 3500 kg.

The maximum mass of the complex should not exceed 7000 kg.

B+E

Vehicle complexes consisting of: category B tractor unit + non-light trailer or semi-trailer: the latter must have a maximum authorized mass not exceeding 3500 kg

C1+E

Vehicle complexes: category B or C1 tractor + non-light trailer or semi-trailer. The authorized mass of the complex cannot exceed 12000 kg

C+E

Category C tractor + trailer or non-light semi-trailer

Max

curdle - 2021-05-10 9:45 PM

AKins2021 - 2021-05-11 1:20 AM

Thanks I'll take a look

This is not just "a look' situation. This is serious and more so under general distrust between EU and UK. Even if you opt to use a trailer instead of the illegal drawbar, all trailers (unlike UK) now have to be separately registered for use in the EU.

So a drawbar is illegal but its okay to fill gas bottles using some heath robinson connectors. :-(

@ PJM "So a drawbar is illegal but its okay to fill gas bottles using some heath robinson connectors."

Nope. 100% EU and CE marked approved compliance. Approved refillable Gas bottles have an automatic 80% cut-off valve to avoid overfilling. The law in Spain says that any bottles irrespective of EU conformance may not be re-filled. But...certain garages have no problem, just like certain police will turn a blind eye to your drawbar. So where exactly does Heath Robinson come into either scenario? For that matter does your drawbar conform with EU regulations as does all my gas equipment? I am not stirring a pot here. I just think that issues previously overlooked in EU fraternity will no longer be subject to relaxed interpretation.

curdle - 2021-05-11 10:34 PM

...100% EU and CE marked approved compliance....

... The law in Spain says that any bottles irrespective of EU conformance may not be re-filled... But...certain garages have no problem...

...EU regulations as does all my gas equipment?...

In Spain it may be but in other countries forget it.

For example, in Italy the percentage is reversed, some GPL point of sales may accept to fill the refillable cylinders but the majority will refuse.

In Italy you must have a fixed tank approved and marked on the vehicle registration certificate.

And in France some companies (for example Total) have begun to prohibit the refueling of gas other than by traction (engine).

Max

Archived