alde heating?

yorkyram1

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help with a query regarding the heating system in our Bailey approach 765? It's the Alde heating type and it says to top it up with glycol fluid..can i use ordinary antifreeze or do i need to get the glycol type?..any advise would be appreciated.

Regards Nigel.

Would recommend the proper stuff. The Alde Web site states,

If your heating fluid is magenta in colour you can use an Alde-approved antifreeze product to top up with.

If it is not magenta in colour it is safest to top-up with a cupful or two of deionised water. You will have slightly less protection from frost, corrosion and bacteria, but damage caused by mixing incompatible antifreeze is the bigger risk. Then change the heating fluid as soon as practicable and use an Alde-approved antifreeze.

Recommended Antifreeze

In the UK, they are:

Alde Premium G13 Antifreeze

Fuchs Maintain Fricofin V50

Comma XStream GG40

VW Genuine Parts G13

These are all available ready to use, pre-mixed with deionised water. Always read the label.

These products all have a 5 year life. Corrosion damage caused by substandard heating fluid is not covered by warranty.

yorkyram1 - 2021-05-16 4:23 PM

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help with a query regarding the heating system in our Bailey approach 765? It's the Alde heating type and it says to top it up with glycol fluid..can i use ordinary antifreeze or do i need to get the glycol type?..any advise would be appreciated.

Regards Nigel.

It is something of a minefield, but easily sorted.

Not all antifreezes mix kindly together, though there are some that tolerate just about anything else.

The modern "best" in this and other regards is one genuinely to a VW specification VW TL774 J, short code referred to as G13, just don't be fooled by the simple use of the term G13.

This link gives you a deeper insight:

https://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/Blog/2016/What-you-need-to-know-about-G13-antifreeze-and-coolant.aspx

This VW TL774 J is sold under many brands, an easily obtained one is Comma's Xstream GG40.

G13 is environmentally a bit better that its equally suitable predecessor VW TL 774 G, this has the short code G12++, where those two pluses are extra important.

Comma make an even more readily available product to this with the confusingly similar name, XStream G40. This I know Halfords used to sell as both concentrate that needs equal amount of dionised water adding, and ready use, ready as its name implies.

Using either VW TL 774 "J" or "G", you will be "safe".

If the vehicle was built post Sept 2020 it ought to have VW 774 "J" filling already. This will be magenta in colour.

As said earlier, don't inherently trust, the simple use of the term G13, ensure you check it really meets VW TL 774 J, "approval", not "like" or similar words used to "fool".

Lucky you have a UK built motorhome. For owners of foreign motorhomes, legally imported, distributed and sold in the UK, Alde UK abdicates any responsibility for their own systems and further does not honour the Alde 3 year warranty because 'foreign" manufacturers do not purchase an additional year warranty (according to Alde UK). No Alde appointed agents can replace the glycol in my Alde system because of the design which is not 'designed' by Alde UK and thus if I require a change of the fluid, Alde UK will require me to allow them to re-design and modify the system (and pay for it handsomely) to allow access. They cannot explain how thousands of European motorhomes manage this process without undergoing expensive modification. From my point of view they are the worst form of jingoistic shyster touting the superiority of their self appointed UK exceptionalism.

How totally different we found Alde UK with our Hymer.

With the van then at about 9 years old we paid for a new circuit board and change out of a leaking connection and the required refill topping up.

Within the two year warranty we had on the PCB we purchased, that developed a fault, and was replaced.

During their checking the new board functioned they also detected traces of air in the circuit, and flushed it for us, all this second visit work done totally FOC.

On both occasions we were invited to stay free overnight on an EHU for an early morning start on sorting us out.

As a fellow Hymer owner, I would put them right at the top of my list of exemplary companies to deal with.

I am not overly surprised to read if an extended warranty had not been purchased, it was not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst we all refer to the glycol fluid as "antifreeze" and that is one of its roles, it is just as important as a corrosion inhibiting fluid, in systems like this with mixes of metals so very prone to such damage.

It is the corrosion inhibiting aspect that ages, gets "used up", and why we change it. Its true antifreeze properties would be timeless.

I agree for one or two very minor top ups use deionised water. It is a vented system, not sealed like most cars, so even without any leaks some small fluid loss will occur.

We found Alde heating to be extremely helpful.

We had a problem with water fizzing and slightly smelly in our LeVoyager.

LeVoyageur blamed Alde ans so I collected a new boiler from them directly and it was fitted at our home.

It wasn’t the problem.

LeVoyageur had fitted non standard water pipe.

We returned to the factory for them to replace all piping.

Alde were on this occasion superb

Archived