Renault V New Fiat

Mrs Sea

Can anyone help.

We are looking to buy a replacement motorhome and really like the Adria Coral 680SP on the new Fiat. However it is 7.28m long which is huge compared to our present 5.98m and a bit too long (we think) to get up our driveway. The Adria Izola 687SPG on the Renault is only 7.05m which we think will be a bit easier. Unfortunately we cannot see the Izola anywhere to compare it as there isn't one in the country. We have tried to get answers from the dealers to the following queries without luck (yet) can anyone advise?

1) Is the difference in length just the Renault cab is shorter or is the overhang shorter too - (this being the important bit for our access).

2) How reliable is the Renault compared to the Fiat? Our present motorhome is on a Fiat. Engine wise we've had no problems but brakes seizing despite regular use even in winter, wheel bearings at 40,000 miles and various other non engine related problems makes us think maybe try Renault this time!

3) The Renault chassis is just a commercial vehicle base whereas the new Fiat is specially designed for motorhomes to be built on it. What difference will that make to us i.e. roadholding, ground clearance etc.

4) The Fiat Coral has a double floor but the Renault Izola doesn't. Pros and Cons of double floors? (The Izola still has a heated waste water tank).

Any help gratefully received.

Hi Mrs Sea

We took delivery of a Knaus Sun Ti on the Renault Master last year and have had both boxer and ducato based vehicles before.

Can't comment on the difference between the new Fiat and the Renault but I can say the Master is an excellent base vehicle - especially for ride, handling and economy. We went for the 2.5 dci (although the new engines are all 2.5 with different power outputs) and have found it to be smooth, powerful enough for our needs and, crucially, much, much quieter than the previous fiat and peugeot engines. So far it has been very reliable with no problems in 4800 miles.

The Knaus is built on the Renaull Platform Cab but is still much lower than other 'standard' chassis'. Many ambulance services have traditionally bought conversions on the Renault chassis due to the low floor height and the ride - and even with the introduction of Alko chassis' it is still a popular base for out-patient vehicles.

With regard to double floors we particularly wanted a low profile van (below 2.7 m) to get it under our carport. Most so called low profile vans built on alko chassis' are then given a double floor and taken back up to as high as 3 m!! The Knaus has plenty of good storage with the underbed locker that has a full width part going beneath the shower for long items like the windbreak. I am not sure what the services (particularly water) are like on the Izola but the Knaus has all the water pipes attached to the blown air heating pipes as they go round the van, the fresh water tank is inboard and the waste tank is insulated so we have been OK through this winter.

I think you are right to worry about length of overhang as, at first glance, a large underbed storage area looks attractive but with a long overhang it becomes limited as you have to be very careful with rear axle loadings.

In short, I wouldn't rule the Renault out on the grounds that it is a 'commercial' chassis - especially if you are going for a low profile. If I had the choice I would also rather go for the shorter van - providing it gave me the layout and space I wanted - as the longer the vehicle the more limiting it becomes in use.

Good luck with the search.

Regards, David

Hi Mrs Sea

I have just changed my Motorhome on Good Friday from a Renault 2.5 to a Fiat 2.3.

I drove over 250 miles in the Renaut and 250 miles back the next day in the Fiat, the Fiat appears superior and more car like to drive. The handling is better but I am comparing a standard Renault chassis against an Alko one so not quite like for like. I have had two previous Renaults and both were o/k and a big improvement on the old Fiat but this new one is another step ahead and is such a pleasure to drive.

Nicky

Do as Derek suggests, and do a comparison by downloading the catalogues.  I shouldn't be too swayed by notions that the Renault is "just" a commercial vehicle chassis, whereas the Fiat isn't.  The Fiat isn't really any more than an adaptation of a commercial vehicle chassis to suit motorhome construction.  It has advantages the Renault hasn't, like an enhanced rear track, but most of its other advantages come from being a more recent design with refinements the Renault, which was the "class leader" for comfort, now lacks.  Best will be to try test driving the current Fiat and Renault based vans, to see which feels pleasanter.

However, as you say, these are both very long vans.  In practice, the difference between them is only around 10", so it's not really that significant in percentage terms.  Try getting the dealer to drive one to your home during a test run, to see if it will negotiate your drive OK. 

The rest depends how, and where, you intend using it.  Will an extra 4' 0" on the length of your previous van make life easier or more difficult?  On site: no doubt more space and comfort, on most roads probably no noticeable difference: it'll be in the campsites and parking areas where the length may become more problematic while manoeuvering, and possibly on and off ferries with that rear overhang.

Guest JudgeMental

I would not dream of ordering a camper without seeing it.

from what I remember regards the Izola ( which we were initially interested in) we discounted it because the rear bed above garage had very little head room and was a bit narrrow. My wife described it as akin to sleeping on a book shelf.

that is why we went for a shorter high top vehicle with lots of space.

all the new chassis are good and a big improvement on their predecessors. I doubt that you would be disappointed with any of them, we have the new Ford and it is a revelation, quite and with standard cruise control it is easy and stress free to drive. IMO the Fiat would be my choice over a renault

as for the benefits of double floors: depends on the type of camping you do? fully winterised/ internal tanks/ better insulated/ EN classification.

Mine has double floor, and heating circulates in void so making the floor nice and warm under your feet, this is an advantage when you use the shower as the floor is consequently heated in the bathroom as well.

1)The following is calculated from the info I have and may not be 100%- Izola rear overhang 1930mm, Coral 2297mm.

2)My experiance of Renault is from commercial use of panel van, they have been very reliable.

3) IIRC Fiat make a version of chassis that is for motorhome conversion but this may not be what Adria use, they might use standerd chassis, this was in a mag article on new Fiat which I cannot find, can any one else find it? Either way watching a Knaus Traveller with similair rear overhang going on a small ferry was interesting.

4) No comment

Driving a Fiat or Renault, which is the best? Personaly I prefer the Renault as I can acheive a more comfatble driving position and get better allround vision, but try both to find which suits you, as to ordering unseen, I wouldn't, I went to NEC hopeing to buy a GlobeVan as it looked to be just what we wanted,but on seeing it didn't like the headroom for bed

Most of it's been said - but one additional point. The Renault Master LWB (Long Wheel Base) has the longest wheel base of any FWD van, unless the Alko chassis is used (wheel base is just over 4 metres).

As such, it tends to have a superior ride to most, as it couples this with a good suspension (in general, all other things being equal, the shorter the wheelbase, the choppier the ride). When travelling, ride quality is, for me at any rate, the number one requirement and everything else comes a long way down the list.

The worst cost of a longer wheelbase (especially with an Alko chassis) is the increased turning circle - I've seen an Alko do a 7 point turn and still not quite get there!

Hi all

Thanks for all your comments. The Renault seems to get the thumbs up - even if the new Fiat is now superior - its still got to be better than our present 2.0JTD Fiat!

We tend not to use campsites that much, except if on holiday down south as much of Scotland is sufficiently wild to 'camp wild'. We have no plans to go abroad just yet (we have an old dog whos never been in kennels so are restricted for the time being). We do however go down a lot of minor twisty roads to get to rivers for canoeing and to get to various cliff faces for rock-climbing. Minor roads in Cornwall have been by far the worst!! (to get close to sea cliffs for climbing).

I have both the Adria catalogue and Technical Specification guide. They give overall length and wheelbase but don't mention overhang length.

How did you do the calculations Colin as I'm a bit thick when it comes to figures? We measured the overhang on the Coral we viewed at 2310mm including bumpers but as the earliest we can view an Izola is mid June I've no way of measuring it till then.

Your comment re double floors giving a higher van was something I hadn't considered and when I look at the Technical Spec the Renault Izola is not as tall as the Fiat Coral which has a double floor so that now makes sense. The Izola has its fresh water tank under one of the dinette seats and the waste water tank slung underneath the van but it is heated (not sure how) so hopefully won't freeze in winter use. It clearly won't be as insulated without the double floor though.

Once again, thank you all for your comments.

Archived