Campercontact app

Hi

Can I ask those that have the Campercontact app, what it's performing like currently and is it still worth bothering with.

In the past i've picked up the odd comment that it's a great asset. However, thought I'd just have a look at their site for more info on the pay for app and their most recent reviews appeared quite negative, as if it was good but now it isn't.

I appreciate it doesn't cost a lot to install, it's not cost, it's more about is it worth bothering with.

I used it with great effect in Europe ( not so good for U.K.) BUT last year they changed the format & I didn’t like it at all , I started using ( search for sites ) and liked it so predominantly use it now

Used it succesfully for a few years.

Not used for last 12 months...I wonder why??

Just checked a few European destinations and it works as it always has.

PS. It is the up to date version.

• 2 months later...

I note an unwelcome development at Campercontact: their POI downloads (for satnav, maps.me etc.), previously free, are now chargeable @ Euro17.99, on top of the charge for the Pro version of the app.

A bit cheeky given that this is data that we've all helped to build over the years.

I think I'll look elsewhere.

Steve928 - 2021-07-28 9:24 AM

I note an unwelcome development at Campercontact: their POI downloads (for satnav, maps.me etc.), previously free, are now chargeable @ Euro17.99, on top of the charge for the Pro version of the app.

A bit cheeky given that this is data that we've all helped to build over the years.

Sure ?

At least for Europe.

Just a couple of days ago I downloaded for free POIs from https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads

The only difference found is that now they are divided in two files, North-East and South-West Europe.

And include some funny infos I didn't understand.

Take care, somewhere in the files there are wrong coordinates, it seems a dot (.) is missing.

Open the .csv file in MS Excel, sort by A colums first and then B later and delete these entries.

Save agains as .csv and that's all.

Loaded on my Garmins, they works on both satnavs.

Max

Thanks for that Max - that's great, all downloaded.

Without using your direct link the 2x ways of getting to POI downloads via the CC homepage ('Webshop' and 'Downloads for your navigation system') take you to a page where you have to pay to download.

Give it a try please if you have 5 minutes just to confirm that I'm not going mad.

The "free" download is frozen as of June 2020, and will not be updated (that info is on the linked page).

One would assume, given your experience, that they have decided to monetise any further updated version (downloadable through the shop).

Robinhood - 2021-07-28 1:38 PM

The "free" download is frozen as of June 2020, and will not be updated (that info is on the linked page).

One would assume, given your experience, that they have decided to monetise any further updated version (downloadable through the shop).

Crosschecked with previous revs, you are right, sorry, I didn't note it.

As Steve928 says above, sorry but campercontact will no longer be my choice.

I understand that maintaining a similar structure has a cost but what they ask seems to me an exaggeration.

There are alternatives, for example the French campingcar-infos which often has the same entries and even better detailed.

For Spain and Portugal areasac.es and lapaca.org.

For Italy camperonline.it.

Germany is so plenty of stopovers that it's not a problem.

And for campsites, the always good Archiecampings database.

Max

Steve928 - 2021-07-28 8:24 AM

I note an unwelcome development at Campercontact:

Search for Sites are the same have to pay for app even though We've given them dozens of sites and recommendations

witzend - 2021-07-28 2:49 PM

Search for Sites are the same have to pay for app even though We've given them dozens of sites and recommendations

I've no problem paying for the apps - I think I've paid CamperContact c. £5 every year for a decade now and I consider that a reasonable charge for app and website development and running costs.

The issue under discussion is then having to pay an extra £16 to download the same database as a POI file to load onto a satnav, something that has been free of charge up until recently (and remains FOC with SearchForSites).

Steve928 - 2021-07-28 4:28 PM

witzend - 2021-07-28 2:49 PM

The issue under discussion is then having to pay an extra £16 to download the same database as a POI file to load onto a satnav, something that has been free of charge up until recently.

Thats not to bad they have to make a profit.

If you had CC from ten years ago wouldn't that have been the for life one ours was we've updated it most years and only paid the once

witzend - 2021-07-28 11:03 PM

Thats not to bad they have to make a profit.

If you had CC from ten years ago wouldn't that have been the for life one ours was we've updated it most years and only paid the once

I partially agree.

If for example I subscribe to Board Atlas, I know that the information are correct and up-to-date.

This is not the case with campercontact.

For example, during my last trip to the United Kingdom (summer 2019), almost always when I arrived in the stopovers reported in the database, I found signs of no-overnight (in Scotland no-sleeping), sometimes even with fines of up to 100 pounds.

If you ask for a fee (€ 17 seems a minimum amount but it is not) I expect a check of the information and not just the inclusion in the database of those provided by volunteers.

Five euros could be a reasonable amount for the service offered, seventeen is beyond logic.

Max

p.s. Often the same thing also happens with ACSI.

I happened to go to bad campsites reported by them and I often wondered if "inspected" has any meaning.

Does anyone know whats happened to the browser based CamperContact site? It just doesnt work anymore for me at least.

I used to use it a lot as I hate messing about on a phone with an app, so much easier on a big laptop but now it just doesnt do anything. This link shows France but you cant zoom in to find Aires on a specific part of the map like you used to rendering it unusable.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/france

Camping Car infos was always my favourite but a lot of the reviews on Campercontact were in English and it used to be a bit easier to navigate, not anymore.

Barryd999 - 2021-07-29 8:45 AM

Does anyone know whats happened to the browser based CamperContact site? It just doesnt work anymore for me at least.

Their website in a browser still woks for me. Click on 'Motorhome Sites' to open the map, move the map to the area/country you are interested in and then click on 'Search this area' at the top of the map. The closer in that you zoom the more sites the search will find.

Archived