Gas regulators with crash sensors? E.g. Monocontrol CS

Booms

Any alternative to these? Can only see Truma with crash sensors.

Also when replacing my regulator do I need to worry about whether I've got 8/10mm?

I'm out traveling at the moment but are there any basic tests I can do to make sure it is the regulator that has failed? Can't see what else if would be.

Hi

I won't ry to pretend that I know anything about the above, other than to say if you are stuck (with no gas getting to the van?) could you get hold of a simple bottle mounted reg' and gas hose(with appropriate fittings) and just "bypass" the lot for now, just to try it?

(I realise that bottle-mounted and bulkhead regs operate at slightly different pressures but carrying, and using, the former always used to be put forwards as a "get-around" option?)

Hopefully some more clued up forumers will be along to help you....:-D

(I am assuming that any buttons and/or toggles on the reg/hoses have been operated correctly...)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Booms.

There used to be a gas-regulation system (branded “Favex”) made by the CAVAGNA Group and chosen by a few motorhome manufacturers as an alternative to Truma’s original SecuMotion/DriveSafe ‘safety’ regulators. The Favex regulator has been occasionally mentioned on this forum (2009 example thread here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Heating-while-on-the-move/14405/

but I don’t know if the Favex product is still marketed or - if it is - whether any motorhome manufacturer has fitted it in recent years.

To the best of my knowledge, only the Truma/GOK and the Favex regulators have been marketed in the past to allow a gas heater to be legally operated in a moving vehicle in any European country that otherwise has a national regulation prohibiting doing this (eg. France)

The metal pipework that forms the ‘fixed’ part of a leisure-vehicle’s gas system will have a diameter of either 8mm or 10mm. When a regulator connects directly to the metal pipework, the regulator’s outlet must match the diamater of the pipework. Truma/GOK regulators have been marketed with either a 8mm or 10mm outlet, but adapters have been available to match a regulator with a 10mm outlet to 8mm pipework (example of adater/coupler here)

https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-coupler-8mm-x-10mm-reducer/

Replacement of a 'bulkhead-mounted’ regulator on an exact like-for-like basis should be straghtforward: replaciement with a different regulator (and/or using an adapter) may require significant modifications to be made.

The first thing to check is the obvious - that the bottle/tank supplying the gas has adequate gas in it and that the bottle/tank is turned on. Historically, Truma/GOK bulkhead-mounted regulators gained a reputation for ‘clogging up’, but that doesn’t seem to be a widepread problem in recent years. Using autogas instead of ‘exchange bottle’ gas is potentially more likely to result in regulator failure and, if autogas is to be used, fitting a filter on the regulator’s gas-supply side is recommended.

Assuming that there’s plenty of gas in the bottle/tank, the bottle/tank is turrned on and all the gas stop-cocks in the leisure-vehicle are turned on, the recommended check of the regulator’s health is to light all the hob gas burners, turn them to maximum output and see what the gas flames' 'strength’ is. If all the burners will operate continuously at full blast, it’s reasonable to assume that the regulator is OK and passing gas through it at the design flow-rate and pressure.

The Truma MonoControl CS is straightforward to use and reset

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-monocontrol-cs.html

but when a Truma anti-rupture gas hose (‘pigtail') is also fitted (which it usually is) it needs to be remembered that this hose will also need to be reset after (say) a gas bottle has been changed.

GOK now markets the “Caramatic” range of ‘crash sensor’ regulators, but I’ve no practical experience of those products.

https://www.gok.de/en/caramatic-series?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3JKRjceK8QIViLPtCh1b9QZ7EAAYASAAEgICvfD_BwE#

(It might help to know the make, model and age of your motorhome, and also what the symptoms are of your gas-related problem.)

By my reckoning it’s about £200 of refitted gas supply hoses, regulator and change over switch every twelve years,

Something you learn as you gain experience in mhoming . Hopefully not the same years as you have to change four tyres and the cam belt !

I feel better now *-)

Rgds

Archived