SWIFT KON-TIKI - WHY SO CHEAP?

grocer jack

As mentioned before we are embarking on full timing and are at the start of researching 'vans and every thing else. No small endeavour!

We have sorted the type of van we want, Island bed with overcab being the prime consideration and have narrowed our list to a handful of models including the tag axles from Kon-Tiki and Bessacar. Our question is this. Looking at similar offerings from other manufacturers, many of the items offered from Kon-Tiki and Bessacar as standard are only available as extras pushing the on the road price way above those of Kon-tiki and Bessacar. So, where's the catch? You don't get owt for nowt, so where are Swift cutting corners? Or are they? Any thoughts would be welcomed. 8-)

Guest starspirit

They used to be known as 'leaky Tikis' or Kon leaky' in the early days but I understand that they have now swapped those problems for different ones.

I've never had a Swift group van in over 35 years of motorcaravanning as I have always been wary of their reputation for problems so I can't say whether they are still poor or not.

Maybe a young used one where someone else has had any issues fixed might be worth a thought, although choosing a decent responsible dealer with a good caring reputation is more than half the battle towards getting good vfm..

grocer jack - 2007-04-10 1:30 PM

we want, Island bed

I was looking at their website and although an island bed sounds a very appealing feature, the size of the bed in the Kon-Tiki is quite small for full timing, especially if you are on the tall side.

It's interesting that Swift give the imperial measurements as 6'4" x 4'5", but they also give metric measurements as 1.86m x 1.34m which converts as 6'1" x 4'5". That's 3" shorter!!

Also from the drawings, the foot of the bed has tapered corners, so even less room.

8-) Positive comment from a 2004 SWIFT KonTiki user. Very nice piece of kit and they do not leak. Why the price difference- Bessacarr have always been seen by caravanners as top of the range and Swift middle of the range. Compared mine to equivalent Bessacarr and found the only differences - seat material,and colour, some extra hooks and price!! ;-)

Guest starspirit

Yes - I rather suspected that a quick stir would elicit some replies!

Glad to see that Swift have improved - if they truly have?

We had a kontiki 2002 model for a year. The only problem (apart from a major Fiat problem which, in fairness, was not a Swift fault) was the complete lack of service for spares of any description.

Even the dealer was banging his head on sharp objects to ease the pain at times.

Rgds

Have a 55Reg Kontiki 660 and have had no problems that I could not sort out myself. I did have a problem with a window that delaminated and that was sorted out under warranty with no problem, as was the Truma boiler recall, both of which were not due to Swift manufacturing(assembling)

I look at new models of various manufacturers and all I see is plastic, plastic, plastic. I no there is plastic in mine but it just looks better.

The age of the vehicle does not matter to me and I will have the BigK for a long time

Guest starspirit

Probably overall Swift group products are no better or no worse than any one else's vans as there seem to be more variations between individual vans from the same stable as vans from different makers.

At the end of the day if you are lucky you get a 'made in midweek' van and avoid the Monday and Friday versions regardless of what you buy!

Of more predictable variance is one's treatment by the various dealers when, and if, things do go pear shaped and it pays to research the dealers carefully prior to buying.

Buying locally if you can even if it does cost a bit more gives you a better chance of sorting any issues quickly and cost effectively too.

Archived