complete satelite system

mrs p hancox

thanks will pop in and have a look, don't think not having suitcase will be too bad, as usually things that are packed in suitcases have to be assembled then don't fit back in again in same way, can always get a more suitable container (which is what we always seem to end up doing any way)

why not get a domestic dish and lmb, second hand sky box, this will work well as freeview, or take your sky card from home and access all chanels, it is easy setting up after a while. best regards colin

hubby was on about that, but I think he believes that the complete box ones use lower wattage etc as we will be using 12v only and have to use an inverter, come on some one update me if this is true, cause we are thinking of geting rid of sky box at home and getting free view instead so could use all house stuff also small dish was left by old owners, and you could save us some money. Any ot there that use this method?

The 'suitcase' models do use slightly less electricity but ultimately the choice depends on what channels you want to watch and EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) you like.

ITV1/2/3/4 and BBC1/2/3/4 are FTA and you can pick them up with either box. However, C4 and C5 are encrypted so will need a Sky box and card.

Thr EPG that Sky use is far superior and user friendly than anything you'll get on a FTA box.

mrs p hancox - 2007-04-12 10:46 AM

hubby was on about that, but I think he believes that the complete box ones use lower wattage etc as we will be using 12v only and have to use an inverter, come on some one update me if this is true, cause we are thinking of geting rid of sky box at home and getting free view instead so could use all house stuff also small dish was left by old owners, and you could save us some money. Any ot there that use this method?

The main advantage is that the portables such as the Maplin and Makro ones run directly off 12v so there are no conversion losses and they are a little lower wattage.

The channel 4 and 5 thing will be resolved shortly as they have stated that they will go freeview when their Sky contract finishes.

There is no real problem with the programme text so not an issue and setting up is supposed to be easier than a Sky box (which is technically only supposed to be used at your home, you are breaking your contract unless you take out a second one) though I find all satellite systems a pain to set up personaly, so although we have all the required equipment we rarely use it! The main advantage of not using it is the TV stays at home and we actually do things instead of watching the box, hey ho!

Bas

just brought the makro one for £66 inc vat the tow sure one is the same exactly and twice the price, but just seen Maplins have updates thier site and their is one for 55 not in suitcase but hey thats life cant set thing up though! so getting mate who's into these things to come round and show us and then will write idiots guide!

Thanks Brian for your kind input, but I've already tried to do what is said on that site but still find it difficult and therefore give up after the first hour of trying!

Clearly from others being able to set up in, I believe someone quoted 3 minutes wherever they are, it is I that has the problem but it is such a pain I can't be bothered anymore.

Bas

Hi Basil we had same problem at first, then a freind's friend who wild camps alot, hence used to system, came round and brought his pre loaded receiver, tuned our dish to that, then checked our system, which was fairly easy as we had sort off eliminated as we went along, Hubby had been out there for three days prior though!!! Our problem was we were trying to set up next to the house and it was blocking "view" Where are you in country, we are Coventry, Or if you want could give you a ring. The chap that did ours fixed it in minutes did we feel fools, another thing that had not helped we had tried to tune to Astra 28e as manual said, then hubby tried to manual load channedls so lost all ones that were stored on Astra 19 which is the one we should have tried to find! Like who wants to be a millionaire easy when you know the answer!

Archived