Temporary Holiday sites, CL CS etc where and which club?

Barryd999

We have finally embarked on what hopefully will turn out to be a long summer trip in the UK. Currently on the Yorkshire coast for a month or so then up to the Scottish Isles but we were quite fancying the back end in the Lake District. Wilding in the Lakes has become more restrictive since Covid so Im wondering about joining one or maybe both of the clubs but I am struggling to find an easy to access list of CL and CS sites in Cumbria but I Cannot find any info at all on their Temporary Holiday sites. Never stayed on one but I do know they pop up in the Lakes now and again (well I am sure there is often one at Grasmere).

Anyone got a list of where they are and when? Do both clubs do the TH Sites or just the camping and caravan club?

Can only comment on C&CC.

Without becoming a member you can go online and there is a map on the 'find campsite' page which will show CS's, but IIRC you cannot get contact details unless a member.

I think (but not sure) that THS's details are only available to members.

Sorry, I have no current nifo Barry but we used to stay on Camping Club THSs (temporary holiday sites) a lot in the past.

They were a reasonable price, very basic, usually good socially - and best of all no need to pre book in most cases - just turn up as and when the mood takes. You need to be a member and the monthly club magazine had details of what, when, where and how much.

We did try the Caravan Club THSs but found them much less pleasant in comparison and the need to pre book weeks ahead was very often a no no for us .

Things may have changed - but leopards and spots etc?

We also found the Pub Stopovers location book handy - not tried Britstops but it looks interesting - maybe others can comment?

But then we took to going abroad so ceased using any UK clubs.

Thanks for the replies. If any members could maybe have a look and see if there are any TH sites up in Cumbria for September and October that would be useful. PM me if you don't want to post the details on here although I'm not sure why they would keep them a secret as I don't suppose you will get on without a membership card.

Pier Cottage Caravan Park, Coniston

02 to 09 October 2021

£205 per unit per week

Spital Farm, Kendal,

05 to 20 September 2021

£7.50 per unit night

Duddon Sports & Social Club, Askam in Furness,

31 August 2021 to 27 September 2021

£8.00 per unit per night

Keswick CCC Site, Keswick, Lake District National Park

01 to 08 September 2021

£150 per unit per week, full fee on booking

Baycliff Farm, Baycliff,

27 August 2021 to 05 September 2021

£7.50 per unit per night

Ocsid - 2021-06-24 3:31 PM

Pier Cottage Caravan Park, Coniston

02 to 09 October 2021

£205 per unit per week

Spital Farm, Kendal,

05 to 20 September 2021

£7.50 per unit night

Duddon Sports & Social Club, Askam in Furness,

31 August 2021 to 27 September 2021

£8.00 per unit per night

Keswick CCC Site, Keswick, Lake District National Park

01 to 08 September 2021

£150 per unit per week, full fee on booking

Baycliff Farm, Baycliff,

27 August 2021 to 05 September 2021

£7.50 per unit per night

Thanks very much for that. The only one that appeals is Coniston bit it's a bit pricey. Will probably just join the caravan and motorhome Club then and just use their cl sites. Doesn't seem much point in joining both.

It is Members only on the THS CCC sites BUT you can obtain temporary membership on the rally site, booking is very possible now because of COVID restrictions so you will have to contact the site Stewards before you turn up as you might well be refused entry, especially as a non member, We have just used 4 THS sites on the trot, and had a great time on all of them, and the weather was very good, CLs are also Members only too so you wont be able to use those as joining is not generally available from CL owners only via club HQ.

vindiboy - 2021-06-24 4:31 PM

It is Members only on the THS CCC sites BUT you can obtain temporary membership on the rally site, booking is very possible now because of COVID restrictions so you will have to contact the site Stewards before you turn up as you might well be refused entry, especially as a non member, We have just used 4 THS sites on the trot, and had a great time on all of them, and the weather was very good, CLs are also Members only too so you wont be able to use those as joining is not generally available from CL owners only via club HQ.

Thanks. We used to be members of the Caravan club but as we mainly toured abroad I dropped it as we just didnt use it. I have however stayed on both CS and CL sites while not a member on the odd occasion. I think for September / October ill rejoin though as we may well use a few and its only fifty quid or so I think.

747 - 2021-06-24 7:38 PM

Ignore the 2 expensive ones posted. They are 'the boating group' and are always expensive for some reason.

Well I do have a boat! Well a blow up kayak which is partly why I want to go. Ideally next to the water but there are not even that many sites on the lake shore so a CL or three maybe preferable as I can whack the kayak on the scooter but it means I have to go back for Mrs D.

"Will probably just join the caravan and motorhome Club then and just use their cl sites. Doesn't seem much point in joining both."

The choice obviously is yours but we find there are benefits of being in both clubs.

Information about CCC THS and weekend meets/rallies is very good. Members can opt in for a free monthly supplement which gives details of all such events throughout the UK. Entries are listed in geographical regions where they are being held rather than by which district is organising them. All such events are open to any members.

In my experience it is difficult to find out information about CAMC rallies or meets as the information only seems to be on the websites of the area/district association organising them,

Barryd999 - 2021-06-24 6:33 PM

vindiboy - 2021-06-24 4:31 PM

Thanks. We used to be members of the Caravan club but as we mainly toured abroad I dropped it as we just didnt use it. I have however stayed on both CS and CL sites while not a member on the odd occasion. I think for September / October ill rejoin though as we may well use a few and its only fifty quid or so I think.

We too were members of the Caravan Club but their ridiculous booking system [ then] send a check for £2 to the rally organiser deducted off site fees on arrival , no booking no camping, too organised for our liking and I dislike booking immensely , we can cross the channel and wander everywhere [ could ] with no booking some of the rallies with the Caravan Club had plenty of space but not booked , no way can you stay, I realise some like and have to be ordered in their lives and good luck to them, but not us. Also the Caravan club Magazine was poor, you could not find rallies from it, you had to have every Centres booklet for full information, more hassle that was too, each to their own of course, I think that the CCC may change their name to include Motorhome too as all the Rallies and THS we use are most time predominately hosting Motorhomes over Caravans ??

Thanks again. To be honest the main reason for possibly joining was just to open up the options for September and October in the lake district but it doesn't seem that the th sites are going to help us.

If things get back to normal I suspect next year we will be back over the water and won't need either club for that.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-26 8:34 AM

Thanks again. To be honest the main reason for possibly joining was just to open up the options for September and October in the lake district but it doesn't seem that the th sites are going to help us.

If things get back to normal I suspect next year we will be back over the water and won't need either club for that.

If you are over 60 years old and are a member of CCC you get a 25% reduction ( excluding ehu) on their sites at that time of year.

Of course, if you don't wish to explore the UK in future years you may take out membership for one year. Remember, members pay considerably less than non-members who also don't qualify for age discount. You could save your membership cost in less than a one week stay.

mel wood - 2021-06-26 10:12 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-06-26 8:34 AM

If you are over 60 years old and are a member of CCC you get a 25% reduction ( excluding ehu) on their sites at that time of year.

Of course, if you don't wish to explore the UK in future years you may take out membership for one year. Remember, members pay considerably less than non-members who also don't qualify for age discount. You could save your membership cost in less than a one week stay.

Only 55 me so wont apply. All the time we were members of the CC we never once used one of their sites, just the CL Sites. I know the CS and CL sites are not that plentiful in the lake district and I have a feeling wilding will be harder this year as it was last year. Maybe not in September I dont know. I do remember the CC or whatever it is now was very good for vouchers for days out etc though. We let it lapse as we just never toured anywhere in the UK apart from one place on the Yorkshire coast, the Isle of Arran and the odd spot in the Lakes. I only live 45 minutes from Ullswater so we generally went for the day but I want to spend a few weeks there really back end all being well.

mel wood - 2021-06-26 10:12 AM

You could save your membership cost in less than a one week stay.

On the other hand the cost of a week on a club site used to be more than the cost of the ferry from Dover - now that was a real cost saving!!

Archived