EE to introduce post-Brexit roaming charges for phone use in rest of Europe from January

BruceM

Worth keeping an eye on when it comes to our non UK travel data and phone approaches.

Guardian 24th June 2021

EE will impose roaming charges on customers using their mobile phones in other European countries from next year, despite previously saying it had no plans to reintroduce them after Brexit, PA Media reports. PA says:

"The move will affect new customers and those upgrading from 7 July, who face a £2 daily fee from January 2022 to use their data, minutes and text allowance when roaming in 47 European destinations.

The Republic of Ireland will be exempt.

BT-owned EE said the move is designed to “support investment into our UK-based customer service and leading UK network”.

Roaming charges when travelling across Europe ended in June 2017, allowing consumers to continue using their mobile plan in other EU nations at no additional cost, with a fair-use limit.

Although network providers could choose to bring back charges once the UK had left the EU, the main four - EE, O2, Three and Vodafone - said they had no plans to do so.

Although it applies only to ‘new customers’ and ‘those upgrading’, ‘upgrading’ covers a whole gamut of possibilities perhaps including annual contract renewal.

We’re not EE users but I suspect that once one provider breaks ranks the rest will follow.

Although £2 per day may seem reasonable (£4 for two phones), for two of us that’s £124 per month. I think I preferred it when usage charges were higher instead.

BruceM - 2021-06-24 5:53 PM

Worth keeping an eye on when it comes to our non UK travel data and phone approaches.

Guardian 24th June 2021

EE will impose roaming charges on customers using their mobile phones in other European countries from next year, despite previously saying it had no plans to reintroduce them after Brexit, PA Media reports. PA says:

"The move will affect new customers and those upgrading from 7 July, who face a £2 daily fee from January 2022 to use their data, minutes and text allowance when roaming in 47 European destinations.

The Republic of Ireland will be exempt.

BT-owned EE said the move is designed to “support investment into our UK-based customer service and leading UK network”.

Roaming charges when travelling across Europe ended in June 2017, allowing consumers to continue using their mobile plan in other EU nations at no additional cost, with a fair-use limit.

Although network providers could choose to bring back charges once the UK had left the EU, the main four - EE, O2, Three and Vodafone - said they had no plans to do so.

Although it applies only to ‘new customers’ and ‘those upgrading’, ‘upgrading’ covers a whole gamut of possibilities perhaps including annual contract renewal.

We’re not EE users but I suspect that once one provider breaks ranks the rest will follow.

Although £2 per day may seem reasonable (£4 for two phones), for two of us that’s £124 per month. I think I preferred it when usage charges were higher instead.

Or £10 per 30 days ... by previous agreement.

Our mobs support dual sims so I suspect that if competitive pressure doesn’t pull the cost down, we’ll just turn off roaming and use a local European provider’s sim instead coupled with Skype for making and receiving UK calls.

Archived