Newbie with a water question

Karen-W

Newbie here looking for advice from you experts. We have a Hymer C514 2006 which we took away at the weekend. We filled the fresh water and all was good until we turned on the tap when water started to flow out from underneath at the back of the motorhome. I checked the red toggle on the boiler and it was pulled up which I believe is the closed position (when I pushed it down the water flowed out even faster!) Is there something we've missed - another tap or valve that needs to be closed?? Thanks in advance and apologies if I don't get back to anyone straight away as I'm working today but I'll be back on this evening

I don't know about the Hymer but generally UP is open, and there are probably 2 valves, one for cold and the red for hot. There is also probably the emergency dump valve which dumps the water if the temperature drops below about 8° so check that's closed too.

If the red toggle on the boiler is pulled up then the frost valve is closed so that’s good.

I suspect the grey water emptying valve has been left open so as you operate the tap the water goes down the drain, into the grey water holding tank and then straight out through the emptying valve. Close the valve and you’ll probably be fine.

As above. Check which location the water is coming from, and if it isn't the same as when the "red drain" is opened, the issue isn't with that.

Water installation varies dramatically, but FWIW, my rather newer Hymer has two additional drain cocks, one each in the h & c pipes to assist with drain down of the whole system system, and they vent through the floor.

There’s a review of a 2006 Hymer C-Classic 514 model here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-hymer-c-classic-514-from-2007/899014

and a YouTube video here

The video shows that the waste-water tank empties via the usual large bore outlet, in this instance towards the rear of the vehicle on its right-hand side. Consequently, it should be obvious where the water mentioned by Karen was coming from if it were draining from the waste-water tank.

The motorhome has a Truma C-Series combination air/water heater housed in a transverse kitchen cuplboard at the very rear of the vehicle. Details/usage of the heater are provided on Pages 136 to 138 of the Hymer manual stevec176 provided a link to in his posting of 30 June 2021 8:30 PM above. Use of the electrically-operated Truma safety/drain valve is explained - the valve is CLOSED by pulling up the red knob (arrowed in red on 1st photo attached below) and (when the valve has been closed) the valve is OPENED by pushing down the red knob. When the valve is opened, water will drain from the Truma heater through the valve’s hose (arrowed in green) that passes through the motorhome’s floor and emerges under the vehicle. (The valve can begin to leak as it ages or if muck gets into its internal seals, but the leak is usually relatively minor. The valve is not designed to be repaired and is no longer made.)

Another water-leak possibility relates to a Truma C-series heater’s ‘vent-valve’. This valve is on the side of the heater towards its top and - if the valve fails to close properly when the heater is being filled with water (or if the valve becomes defective) - water will emerge from beneath the motorhome having passed through a plastic hose (arrowed in green on 2nd photo below) that’s attached to the vent-valve. This was discussed here in 2009

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-pipe-plan-for-Hymer-694/15452/

As has been advised above, Karen needs to be establish exactly where under the motorhome’s floor the water is coming from.

376035969_Trumaelectricsafetydrainvalve.jpg.cfedbfe618eced8f6857adab08fb13fe.jpg

129527999_venttube.jpg.f8bf35d0c6e238a5c0452df262c8666d.jpg

Thanks for this. The water doesn't appear to be coming from the waste water outlet so I'll check the vent valve and the drain cocks that someone else pointed out and which I've found info on in the manual. The red knob was definitely UP when the water was draining out so I know it's not that. We're heading off for a few days next week so hopefully it's something simple! Thanks again.

Archived