Adria External BBQ Point

Tommo99

Hi Guys. My first post!! I am in the process of purchasing an Adria Motorhome (Matrix Plus 600DT). I have asked the dealer to fit me an external BBQ point. However, he is saying that he can only fit one near the Gas Bottle locker which is on the passenger side of the van. I really want it on the Driver's side so that it is near the Habitation Door and under the awning. Has anyone successfully done this (or had it done) on a similar Adria motorhome? The fact that Adria use stainless steel gas pipe may be an issue? All help gratefully received.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I don’t think that your Adria having stainless steel gas pipework would be a show-stopper. It just means that cutting the original pipework to allow connection of an external BBQ point would be a bit harder - but the dealer would need to do that even if the BBQ point were close to the gas locker. On the other hand, unless there’s already gas pipework near the habitation door, presumably a gas pipe would need to be run right across the vehicle (and the pipe would really need to be inside the motorhome) and I can well believe your dealer being reluctant, or refusing, to do this.

I am aware that you are not "supposed" to use long lengths of gas hose (whether it be due to safety concerns? or pressure drop? I don't know) but I used to use a (possible 4-5mtr?)length from our gas bbq tap (which was sited within the gas locker, with the hose threaded up through a gas drop hole), and it seemed to function fine.

Okay, our gas locker was on the same side as the hab' door but if you could just throw/thread a gas hose under the van when you want to use it (with the end suitably protected!) it would save cutting and carving the van about..?

361068108_gastap.jpg.1d3ddf8c01d66f9873f98ea212a5ff70.jpg

Tommo99 - 2021-07-09 9:11 AM

Hi Guys. My first post!! I am in the process of purchasing an Adria Motorhome (Matrix Plus 600DT). I have asked the dealer to fit me an external BBQ point. However, he is saying that he can only fit one near the Gas Bottle locker which is on the passenger side of the van. I really want it on the Driver's side so that it is near the Habitation Door and under the awning. Has anyone successfully done this (or had it done) on a similar Adria motorhome? The fact that Adria use stainless steel gas pipe may be an issue? All help gratefully received.

We had a gas BBQ point on one of our previous Adrias but I bought a 4 metre length of gas hose so that we could BBQ outside the awning.

Didn't want the grease and smoke all over the inside of the roll out awning!

No problem cooking with that length of hose, just make sure that the connections are tight and no kinks in the hose.

We now carry a 5KG Flogas cylinder with short hose to our Cadac and still BBQ outside the awning.

The Gas locker on my Benimar is on the offside and the BBQ gas point is on the nearside, so the piping runs across the van, via an isolation tap under the sink unit. I would shop around for an installer other than your existing dealer.

This 2011 CaravanTalk discussion may be of interest

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/44307-external-bbq-point-hose-length/

Online adverts indicate that there should be little difficulty obtaining a sufficient length of low-pressure LPG hose to easily reach from a BBQ point on the left side of a motorhome to a BBQ under (or beyond) an awning on the vehicle’s right-hand side. It’s an obvious, if unattractive, approach and clearly not what Tommo99 would like his dealer to do.

It’s also worth highlighting that retro-fitting a BBQ point to a new motorhome will potentially impact on the warranty (in this instance on the Adria conversion warranty) and the risk increases if a 3rd-partty did work that the Adria dealer had not been prepared to carry out.

It’s quite possible that Rhino Installs would take on the task - they will certainly install BBQ points

https://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/index.php?route=testimonial/testimonial

but it’s as well to be aware of the implications.

The Matrix Plus 600DT model has a large rear garage, so I would have thought it would be simpler to carry an extra gas canister dedicated to the BBQ (as Matrix Meanderer now does) rather than modify a new motorhome in order to fit an ‘opposite side’ BBQ point or to use an ultra-long gas hose that snakes beneath the motorhome to reach the BBQ. It is possible to get smallish capacity user-refillable gas bottles (Gaslow 2.7kg, Safefill 5kg) and the cost of installing a BBQ-point on the Adria’s right-hand side might well exceed the price of such a bottle.

laimeduck - 2021-07-09 1:52 PM

The Gas locker on my Benimar is on the offside and the BBQ gas point is on the nearside, so the piping runs across the van, via an isolation tap under the sink unit. I would shop around for an installer other than your existing dealer.

The Adria Matrix Plus 600 DT model has a large 3-way fridge/freezer just to the rear of its habitation-area entrance door. However, it’s quite likely that the isolation taps for the gas appliances (heater, hob, oven, fridge) are alll grouped together in the kitchen area on the vehicle’s left-hand side. If that’s the case, I suppose one COULD install a gas feed to a BBQ point near the entrance door by ‘piggy backing’ on the fridge’s gas pipework. I’m doubtful that this would be acceptable practice, though.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-07-09 1:54 PM

The Matrix Plus 600DT model has a large rear garage, so I would have thought it would be simpler to carry an extra gas canister dedicated to the BBQ (as Matrix Meanderer now does) rather than modify a new motorhome in order to fit an ‘opposite side’ BBQ point...

Unless the OP has a proven "need" for the BBQ-point (in that they had one on a previous van and had found it key to their usage style?) then I'd agree with giving the stand-alone bbq & cannister/bottle a go.

(although we had the bbq-tap, as shown above, it wasn't unusual for me to lift the 3.9kg "spare" bottle out and just use that.. I think for us the bbq-tap was as much a "just in case" gadget, as it was an actual "requirement".. ?)

Thank you for all your help and comments thus far. I wasn't expecting so much input in such a short time and it's great to see. At the moment, I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on his thoughts about it and will go from there. I was hoping that somebody might actually have got an Adria and had similar work done. If it all proves too difficult, I will probably go with the separate canister just for BBQ use. Any further thoughts gratefully received.

• 1 month later...
Just to close this off, the dealer has managed to fit a BBQ point on the driver's side of the van by taking the gas feed from the fridge. This has put the point midway between the habitation door and the garage door. Perfect! Thank you everyone for your help.

Archived