Which club to join?

alansh

For me it will always be the Caravan and camping club, We have been in most of the clubs over the years and are vintage members of the CCC pre covid you could just turn up at most of the meets , rallies and THS sites unbooked, less rigmarole involved we use the CLs too but rarely the main sites as we prefer our way of camping, the CCC has a separate Motor home section which you may also subscribe to but this gives you little extra than as a normal member , you do however get a separate monthly magazine from the section, there are also other sections in the CCC you may be interested in such as the Folk group, Walking groups Photographic group, Boating group, Trailer tent group etc, But you can still attend all of their meets as a normal CCC member and will be made very welcome, we found the CCC more children friendly than the Caravan club, when we took our Grand Children along,and the CCC also has a Youth section where Children are brought into the main stream after taking several courses and tests such as fitting a gas bottle safely, cooking a basic meal, putting up tents etc , a great grounding for them as they make life long fiends in the camping world,,every month you can receive a compressive magazine with a supplement in it called OUT AND ABOUT which is the FULL information on all meets ,rallies and THS sites for the coming Month, all the information contained tell you where the meets etc are , how long they are on , the cost for the duration the name of the Stewards and a phone number for further info if needed, this is all available on line if you select that option, we prefer the hard copy of the mags, I have noticed now that most rallies and meets etc are predominately Motorhomes showing the popularity of the club to us Motorhomers, Their Continental Rallies are great if you want to use them, run by members for members, the club will arrange all Ferries or Train crossings, book sites en route if you want and give you Insurance cover , in fact do it all if that is how you work, we always go Solo but do book a one way boat Dover Calais when we travel , by phone a couple of days prior to our desired travel date, and do the same for a return ticket either boat or train a few days before we want to return ,Via the CCC and cheaper too, by then we are in France from Spain or Portugal, all very easy, We insure our bungalow with the CCC too and get 180 days UN OCCUPANCY too with no restrictions so what can I say CCC everytime.

We have been members of the CCC for 30 years, and have always been well received on their sites.

Did try the then CC, but due to unsatisfactory reception/treatment after having been moved from a confirmed pitch, we asked for a return of our fees. On transferring unannounced to a CCC site some miles away, we were made to feel welcome. We did not renew our CC memvership. Perhaps the CC have tried to attract more motorhomers by becoming the CMC, but they still seem somewhat regimental.

In 2001 we joined a CCC organised tour of New Zealand, a country which I had been keen to visit for many years. This initial visit to NZ gave us the confidence to make many, further independent visits to that country.

Alan

My impressions of the two big clubs are mostly positive and I think both have given their staff decent customer care training in recent years so it’s a long time since we encountered anything other than friendly, welcoming reception from either. The main difference is that CAMC sites are much better manicured and you have the right to select your pitch from those free on arrival, whereas C&CC lead you to the pitch they want you to occupy and neither the grass nor the hard standings will always be what you would call tidy. But C&CC are cheaper, especially with the discounts for over 65s and for grass pitches without electricity and their sites are less crammed with pitches at minimum spacing, with more variety of camping units. Both have lots of 5-van sites (called CLs and CSs) which might or might not suit you. There are all sorts of other differences but that’s the bones of it.

StuartO - 2021-07-12 4:02 PM

My impressions of the two big clubs are mostly positive and I think both have given their staff decent customer care training in recent years so it’s a long time since we encountered anything other than friendly, welcoming reception from either. The main difference is that CAMC sites are much better manicured and you have the right to select your pitch from those free on arrival, whereas C&CC lead you to the pitch they want you to occupy and neither the grass nor the hard standings will always be what you would call tidy. But C&CC are cheaper, especially with the discounts for over 65s and for grass pitches without electricity and their sites are less crammed with pitches at minimum spacing, with more variety of camping units. Both have lots of 5-van sites (called CLs and CSs) which might or might not suit you. There are all sorts of other differences but that’s the bones of it.

I agree with this. CAMC also claims to get you the best deals on ferry and chunnel crossings, and I believe they offer to beat quotes for motorhome/caravan insurance at renewal time if you've previously taken insurance from them. That said, their initial quotes aren't always the most competitive. And breakdown insurance, for instance, especially for overseas is very expensive when compared to others on the market.

Archived