Reparations

Bulletguy

Jamaica plans to seek £7.6 billion from Britain as reparations for it's part in slave trading during it's Empire building days. When slavery was finally abolished in 1834 Britain paid £20 million in compensation to the slave owners, but nothing to the slaves.

During the height of the slave trade in the 17th and 18th centuries, the island of Jamaica was key to the Spanish and then British involvement in the transport of slaves from Africa to toil away in plantations across the Caribbean.

The National Library of Jamaica estimates around 600,000 African slaves were shipped to the island.

Olivia Grange, Minister of Sports, Youth and Culture, said: "We are hoping for reparatory justice in all forms that one would expect if they are to really ensure that we get justice from injustices to repair the damages that our ancestors experienced.

"Our African ancestors were forcibly removed from their home and suffered unparalleled atrocities in Africa to carry out forced labour to the benefit of the British Empire."

She added: "Redress is well overdue."

Naturally this news will have the suspects spitting their usual bile and venom.

https://tinyurl.com/nxza2rxk

Sounds like a great idea ... Hopefully all countries will be made to pay who took part or still take part in slavery and not just the nasty English ... Maybe Muslim North Africa can pay for the 1 million plus Europeans they forced into slavery ... Some of my family were taken to work in kebab shops so hopefully I will be in for a few quid ... Might get some new e-bikes

Birdbrain - 2021-07-14 9:17 PM

Sounds like a great idea ... Hopefully all countries will be made to pay who took part or still take part in slavery and not just the nasty English ... Maybe Muslim North Africa can pay for the 1 million plus Europeans they forced into slavery ... Some of my family were taken to work in kebab shops so hopefully I will be in for a few quid ... Might get some new e-bikes

What a young man like you needs an e-bike? I bet the kayak that you are so keen to tell everyone that you paddle in Kendal every weekend is really a sit on top wide beamed plastic barge as well? Go on admit it, you tick all the racist stereotype racist boxes - fat knacker, ex smoker, couple of "mom" tattoos, who "could have been in special forces" if it wasn't for your dodgy knees?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-07-15 1:50 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-07-14 9:17 PM

What a young man like you needs an e-bike? I bet the kayak that you are so keen to tell everyone that you paddle in Kendal every weekend is really a sit on top wide beamed plastic barge as well? Go on admit it, you tick all the racist stereotype racist boxes - fat knacker, ex smoker, couple of "mom" tattoos, who "could have been in special forces" if it wasn't for your dodgy knees?

Youve got serious issues with me princess havent ya ... Kayaks a double so me and the missus or me and the grandkids can go on it, I am waiting for delivery of a paddle board though which i was hoping would be here before today ... As for going to Kendal every weekend thats your imagination playing tricks with ya, I was up that way weekend just gone but that was to view a property ... Your other bitter hate guff is like most of the stuff ya post just bitter hate guff ... Daddy would be so proud of his boy wouldnt he fighting fascists on a motorhome forum

Guest pelmetman

I can see the lawyers tv ads now ;-) ............

"Was your distant relative ever enslaved by the Vikings, Normans, Romans, Ottomans etc etc etc?........Then call "Lawyers for screwing British the tax payer for our no win no fee deal on 0870 ************( Calls will be charged at £10 per minute)".......

(lol) (lol) (lol) ................

Guest pelmetman

You've met Barry then? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..............

Reparations?

Well most, if not all, Nations have shameful episodes in their past

I just wonder where you would draw the line?

Could England demand reparations from Italy for what the Romans did?

You have to draw a line somewhere

Maybe a sensible place to draw the line would be when the victims and perpetrators have died

Whatever, we should not still have statues of slave traders on a pedestal.

pelmetman - 2021-07-15 8:14 AM

"Was your distant relative ever enslaved by the Vikings, Normans, Romans, Ottomans etc etc etc?........Then call "Lawyers for screwing British the tax payer for our no win no fee deal on 0870 ************( Calls will be charged at £10 per minute)".......

Chuckle ... The sisters might do better to show concern over modern day slavery that destroys lives now ... Maybe given that much of it takes place in the Muslim world its prolly a little too delicate an issue for them to deal with

pelmetman - 2021-07-15 8:14 AM

Don't give them ideas

It seems to have escaped your attention the Tory party is full of lawyers who make the laws to suit themselves

pelmetman - 2021-07-15 8:16 AM

You've met Barry then? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..............

LOL! Says the old fart that used to sit in his shed on the Costa del Ingleesh Breakfast drinking blue nun all day for six months of the year and doing feck all else. I bet I could paddle my kayak up the full length of Ullswater faster than you could drive that shed of yours around it.

Archived