Luton conversion with tail lift for a motorbike

collectors

Hi, 1st posting so hope you can help. Looking to convert a Luton box van with tail lift to a camper. But i want to take a motorcycle with me. The bike is around 175kg & the tail lift will take about 500kg. I will also upgrade the suspension with some air balloons to help. The bike is also just under the width of the van. I would like to cut the tail lift down to around 600mm in depth & be able to drive the bike on while the tail lift is on the floor & then raise it up & with suitable welded brackets to help secure the bike both on the van & the tail lift. If needed, i would also add some extra lighting. Like a trailer hook on.

This will also have a roller shutter rear on where i will be fitting a false wall all the away across & about 400mm in with a kitchen on one side & dirty area just behind the roller shutter for tools, boots, pumps & other bits.

Can you see any pit falls. Thanks

PS: would you know if a tail gate will even let the van start when raised up but tailgate down??.

Hi Collectors & welcome to the forum.

Tail lifts are built & for loading & unloading whilst the vehicle is stationary. I would suggest contacting the tail lift manufacture to check if it is/isn't suitable for travel whilst loaded (i.e. in the down possition)

Also as it would place the weight further behind the rear axle, it will have a greater weight on the rear axle than the sum of the lowered tail lift & the motorbike.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Chris.

In principle your plan sounds OK to me, but I’m not sure any forum member will be able to advise on your final question.

Given the weight of the motorbike, you’d probably be best to pick a rear-wheel-drive box-van with a twinned-wheel rear axle. For example

You might also consider joining the Self Build Motor Caravanners Club (£15 per year).

https://sbmcc.co.uk/

Sounds an interesting project. Thats a big heavy bike for a motorhome though but if your van will take it then go for it. Dont forget all the stuff you add inside will add to the weight.

If its doable then this photo of our rack might help you with the best way to secure the bike. Its an Armitage Scooter rack but what I really like about it is it has a post that goes up and then a heavy duty clamp that goes down over the seat. One ratchet strap to a hook and the bar is tight over the seat then another short one through the front wheel. Maybe it will give you some ideas. Good luck with it.

2088919191_Pigonrack(Small).jpg.3976ce8f1686186a28755121598c1901.jpg

Thanks for the reply's & sorry for not getting back sooner. But i am not getting email notices for some reason. Not sure if i am not ticking somthing.?

The link to the You tube vid is handy & have also asked him about his lift. Have also popped an email off to Armitage for a ball park price. "I am thinking not cheap"

But thanks for the input, every little helps.

If you want to receive email notifications, the "Receive e-mail notifications by default?” option in your forum Profile needs to be set to YES.

I don’t know what this partticular Profile option is originally set to when someone registers for forum usage. The option is set to NO on my own Profile, but that’s what I would have chosen myself in any case. (Obviously you will need to have specified a suitable/valid E-mail address in your Profile.)

If you want to receive email notifications, the "Receive e-mail notifications by default?” option in your forum Profile needs to be set to YES.

AH! That explains it. Couldn't find a user profile area, but found the control panel edit you profile area I changed it in there. Seems odd that the default is not to receive notifications as it looks a little rude for me not to answer a reply. Ha'ho, sorted now.

Archived