Post Covid modification

Albertslad

Partly in response to my advancing age, and partly a response to Covid, I’m looking to make a final modification to our van.

We’ve got a bespoke PVC that we had converted in 2009. We’ve made a few “adjustments” in the 12 years we’ve had it but this could be the last and most significant.

Over the years I’ve sought guidance on regulations for onboard gas tanks when using the “tunnel”, and I’m parking that line of inquiry, but looking to solve both of the problems that our otherwise terrific Stako tank now presents. The second problem is my desire to avoid crawling under the van.

So, I’m thinking I’ll have the Stako taken out, And have a refillable system fitted. My question is, what diameter and height are the best cylinders?

MY definition of best?

Lightest, safest, best range of sizes, anything else?

I have a space available 30cm sq by 60cm high for a fixed tank .

And space to safely transport a spare (if needed)

I see the next couple of years being different, And I’ll judge after that. But ability to use tunnel and ferries would be handy.

Regards

This November 2020 forum thread may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/LPG-on-Eurostar/56822/

Gaslow’s user-refillable R67 canisters are probably as good as any nowadays. They are available in three LPG weight-capacities 2.7kg, 6kg or 11kg

The Gaslow 2.7kg Number 1 cylinder carries approx 4.5 litres at 80%. Height: 330mm to the top of the filler elbow x 203mm diameter with a weight of 5.18kg empty.

The Gaslow 6kg Number 1 cylinder carries approx 11.6litres at 80%. Height: 456mm to the top of the filler elbow x 246mm diameter with a weight of approx 8.30kg

The Gaslow 11kg Number 1 cylinder carries approx 21 litres at 80%. Height: 530mm to the top of the filler elbow x 304mm diameter with a weight of approx 12.4kg.

https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product-category/gaslow-lpg-refillable-cylinders/

Alugas MV canisters are marketed in 11kg or 14kg LPG weight-capacities. Their dimensions/weights are given here

https://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/Alugas-Refillable-Cylinders-Single-Bottle-Kits

They are a fair bit lighter than equivalent-capacity Gaslow R67 steel bottles, but significantly more expensive.

You say "I have a space available 30cm sq by 60cm high...” so you should be able to decide which bottle should fit.

As you are concerned about LPG-transporting regulations as well as the ‘crawling underneath’ issue, you’ll need to have a dedicated properly constructed gas-locker installed in which to mount the refillable canister and this may not be an easy retro-fit task on a PVC. I’m also a mite wary of your comment "And space to safely transport a spare (if needed)” which seems to suggest carrying a LPG bottle outside the gas-locker, a practice that ferries and Eurotunnel are unlikely to approve.

(Do you REALLY need to do this? Ferry companies don’t seem to care about fixed ‘underfloor' gas tanks being turned off at their outlet and Eurotunnel seems prepared to accept a tank’s gas-supply being turned off via gas isolation-valves within the motorhome. That still leaves the ‘crawling underneath’ issue, but hw often do you do that?)

Just get a remote electronic valve fitted. Our Burstner lpg tank is fitted in the centre of the chassis, we have the remote solenoid valve fitted and turn it of from inside the van, this also shows the level of gas in the tank. Whenever we go through the tunnel we just show where the gauge is push the button off job done. No need to crawl under van.

Thanks Derek; I think the issue is probably ventilation of “proposed” locker, but I agree, it’s pretty drastic. That said ferry and tunnel indifference to their responsibilities doesn’t impress me.

I’d ask weldted to take a pic of his valve installation: but he’d have to crawl under the van??

I’ll leave the Stako on hold I think, but maybe it’s ready for a “health check” and a solution may present itself. We’ve not heard anything about phasing out of LPG for campervan use, but it can’t be that far away. An all-electric van and a charcoal bbq might be attractive, particularly in summer,

Regards

Albertslad - 2021-07-20 9:38 AM

...I’d ask weldted to take a pic of his valve installation: but he’d have to crawl under the van??...

The remotely-operated gas shut-off valve most commonly fitted to UK motorhomes is probably a Truma product - though there are several alternatives.

The subject was discussed here in May 2021.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-gas-electric-isolator-switch/58160/#M690097

It’s not difficult to build a ‘no gas’ motorhome using diesel-fuelled heating and cooking appliances and a compressor fridge, and I vaguely recall a prototype where the habitation appliances were all electrical. But LPG is likely to be here for the indefinite future.

Archived