Truma Heaters - which is which?

StuartO

My 2006 Hymer has, as originally manufactured in late 2005, a drum-shaped Truma gas/electric heater described on a nearby label as a “C” model but if there is a more informative model or serial number plate on it then it’s out of view. For purposes of ordering parts (specifically a PCB) is mine the same as an Ultrastore heater? If anyone knows were a chronological list of Truma heater models can be found that would be most helpful.

StuartO - 2021-07-21 9:03 AM

My 2006 Hymer has, as originally manufactured in late 2005, a drum-shaped Truma gas/electric heater described on a nearby label as a “C” model but if there is a more informative model or serial number plate on it then it’s out of view. For purposes of ordering parts (specifically a PCB) is mine the same as an Ultrastore heater? If anyone knows were a chronological list of Truma heater models can be found that would be most helpful.

Hi Stuart

On ours there's a label on the inside of the wardrobe door, which gives the serial N0: of the unit and when it was installed and tested prior to leaving the Hymer factory. Also with ours there's a Truma instruction booklet. Ours was the Truma C 6200 EH model

Surplus to requirements now as we had to have the latest Truma 6E combi system installed, as our old unit completely gave up the ghost after 14 years of loyal service.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Hi Stuart,

Our PVC which was built in 2006, is fitted with a "Trumatic C 3402" for which I have the installation instructions which have a printing date of 01/2004.. The instructions also cover the C 6002 model.

These two models are gas space/water heaters, with the addition of a 450W electrical water heating element

Alan

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I think it is a C6002. Unfortunately PCBs are either unavailable of very expensive indeed - like well over £300. There are also two types of PCB, control and power distribution.

I seem to recall there was a company which repaired these pcbs, does anyone remember who?

StuartO - 2021-07-21 11:59 AM

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I think it is a C6002. Unfortunately PCBs are either unavailable of very expensive indeed - like well over £300. There are also two types of PCB, control and power distribution.

I seem to recall there was a company which repaired these pcbs, does anyone remember who?

Stuart O

As Robin Hood has stated previously to me. The main PCB is an absolute contortionist's job to get at. If your model is like mine, then it's almost flush with the back wall of your locker space under the wardrobe floor.

Only way is to have the whole unit removed, or if lucky, the bottom of the wardrobe floor may be removable to gain access to the main PCB board.

The other option would be to contact Apuljack engineering - who seem to come up in a lot of conversations on this site. Link attached

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/

StuartO - 2021-07-21 11:59 AM

...I think it is a C6002...

A Trumatic C6002 appliance is essentially gas-only, though there was a (retro-fittable) water-heating option - C6002 (EL) - that added a 230V ‘heating collar’ wrapped round the appliance’s water tank.

The EL option was fairly uncommon for motorhomes marketed in Continental Europe. As you originally described your appliance as a "Truma gas/electric” heater, it’s more likely that this is a C6002-EH model able to provide blown air heating via gas and/or 230V as well as being able to heat water on either gas or 230V. My 2005 LHD Hobby motorhome had a Trumatic C6002-EH heater and I’d be surprised if your 2006 Hymer B674 did not come with that Trumatic model.

A C6002-EH appliance will have two rotary control panels (image attached below) where one panel selects the power source (gas, 230V or gas + 230V) and the other panel turns the appliance On or Off and adjusts air/water temperature. So it ought to be straightforward to identify whether or not a motorhome has a C6002-EH, particularly as one of the panels should have “Trumatic C EH” written on it.

c6002-EH.png.5c811807151b547c239404c9b14746f3.png

Thank you for that Derek; mine does have a power selection switch labelled “Truma C EH” so that would appear to settle it. I do own a Truma C6002 EH heater. Control pcbs are still available for this model but priced at £345, so it looks like they are priced like airline seat tickets; the fewer there are left, the steeper the price gets.

I did some research on the availability of used parts and discovered there is a Salvage Dealer in Wales who seems to take in lots of scrapped motorhomes and sells complete (and functionally tested) Truma heaters for £250. I didn’t get into whether and how these things are delivered/collected but the guy I spoke to was extremely helpful on the phone and this looks like a useful contingency source for the future.

StuartO - 2021-07-22 10:24 AM

Thank you for that Derek; mine does have a power selection switch labelled “Truma C EH” so that would appear to settle it. I do own a Truma C6002 EH heater. Control pcbs are still available for this model but priced at £345, so it looks like they are priced like airline seat tickets; the fewer there are left, the steeper the price gets.

I did some research on the availability of used parts and discovered there is a Salvage Dealer in Wales who seems to take in lots of scrapped motorhomes and sells complete (and functionally tested) Truma heaters for £250. I didn’t get into whether and how these things are delivered/collected but the guy I spoke to was extremely helpful on the phone and this looks like a useful contingency source for the future.

Stuart

Another option would be O'leary Motorhomes, who may have spares. Didn't have any when I tried in late 2020.

May be worth a call at least

Link attached

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk

Archived