Elddis 155

quack

We bought a new 155 in 2011, and kept it until 2015, and replaced it with a new Adria coral 690SC which we still have.

We really miss the 2 long sofas in the 155 but prefer the island bed and garage in the Adria which is why we bought it.

Our 155 had absolutely no issues or faults but was very well cared from. As with any Motorhome purchase check service history and have it thoroughly checked for damp.

Elddis models of that era, were poorly constructed - using old methods and much exposed timber.

You should look very carefully at the underside, sadly I have never seen one that isn't rotten somewhere.

There is an exposed wooden batten running the full length of the body aft of the rear wheel arch where the aluminium body is simply [partially] folded underneath - it's an absolutely shocking design fault.

I would be amazed if you cannot pull handfuls of rotten wood out from that area - the same goes for the whole back section!

I've been flagging this up for years - most Elddis vans of this era, were a rotting beyond redemption the minute they left the forecourt!

You might get lucky and find a dry one, but the inherent fault is still there.

As with all older vans, the exposed underside is where you should look first - if that passes muster then take a look inside!

Thanks very much for all replies.

This business of buying used motorhomes is fraught with danger and it seems to be almost impossible to buy anything without problems attached. The only solution for me will be to keep looking. There must be some genuine bargains out there - isn't there???

I doubt there are many, or indeed any bargains at the moment.

Having said that, I recently sold my Hymer privately and I'm in the process of buying another which was definitely not what I intended!

I've always found a bit of effort, research and being prepared to travel for the right van has its rewards.

Maybe once this summer is over, and hopefully a bit more freedom is in place, there could well be a glut of vans on the market as people revert to package holidays and cruise ships again?

globebuster - 2021-07-24 9:17 AM

Elddis models of that era, were poorly constructed - using old methods and much exposed timber.

You should look very carefully at the underside, sadly I have never seen one that isn't rotten somewhere.

There is an exposed wooden batten running the full length of the body aft of the rear wheel arch where the aluminium body is simply [partially] folded underneath - it's an absolutely shocking design fault.

I would be amazed if you cannot pull handfuls of rotten wood out from that area - the same goes for the whole back section!

I've been flagging this up for years - most Elddis vans of this era, were a rotting beyond redemption the minute they left the forecourt!

You might get lucky and find a dry one, but the inherent fault is still there.

As with all older vans, the exposed underside is where you should look first - if that passes muster then take a look inside!

Our Elddis is 2014 and of supposedly "Solid" construction. And yet the build quality is still poor, I've fixed several issues, the low price still made it worth it though, £36k brand new was cheap.

quack - 2021-07-23 3:08 PM

Hi,

I have seen an 2010 Elddis 155 for sale at a reasonable price...

It might be worth you saying what your budget (roughly) is and what the asking-price was for the 2010 Autoquest 115 was that you thought to be “reasonable”.

(For what it’s worth, the list-price of an Autoquest 115 in 2010 was just over £30K.)

Derek Uzzell - 2021-07-25 8:39 AM

quack - 2021-07-23 3:08 PM

Hi,

I have seen an 2010 Elddis 155 for sale at a reasonable price...

It might be worth you saying what your budget (roughly) is and what the asking-price was for the 2010 Autoquest 115 was that you thought to be “reasonable”.

(For what it’s worth, the list-price of an Autoquest 115 in 2010 was just over £30K.)

My budget is about £30,000 and the Elddis I saw was £28.995. In view of the new price maybe not such a good price particularly as it was a basic model without an awning or cruise control.

Don't let age rule your choice either - as Derek said, a 30k van when new. Budget vans from the outset are generally poorly spec'd that's why they're cheap and always built to a price.

Passenger air bag, cruise, aircon are the usual omissions - along with pared down interiors.

Age can be of less importance with a motorhome [much like boats] and they are seldom abused and often relatively low mileage.

Quality counts - and will invariably outlive a cheaper alternative.

Obviously, your choice of layout will be a determining factor -

But for example, there was a very high spec '09 Fendt [Hobby] on eBay recently - one owner, low miles on a Transit and it appeared in lovely condition at 29k - probably a 40k + van when new - with nice looks, decent build quality and with a bit of class.

It's hard work finding the right van on a budget, but as I said previously if you put in the effort, research and be prepared to travel for the right one there are still hidden gems to be found.

Bide your time........but I'd steer away from Elddis of that era if I was you, along with a few others I could mention!

Archived