Tragic Story ...

Birdbrain

Yes it is awful. Extremely tragic but no real explanation as to how it happened. could they swim? Seems almost impossible to comprehend if it was near the shore.

Cramp or shock perhaps. Loch Lomond is freezing even in summer. I went swimming in the north sea a week or two ago and Im a really strong swimmer. Due to lockdown though it was the first time I had been swimming in a year and i used to swim three or four times a week. Combination of cold and out of practice I could feel cramp coming on and was out of my depth so immediately got back to where I could stand up. could have maybe been similar what happened to them perhaps. Awful.

Apparently there have been "dozens" of drownings this summer. Much of the time it is due to cold water shock, other times people get caught in weeds.

We have a flooded old clay pit near here which gets a death every year or so, the owner (a friend of mine) has put up fences to prevent access to the area and warning signs, the fences get broken and the signs ignored. He gets it from both sides, those who say "The villagers have always had access and there should be no fences", and those who say "More should be done to prevent access".

Was there last week. Not as cold as you might think but you see this gently sloping beach, lots of people in, lovely day.... and it looks safer than it is because you can't see the hazards on the bottom. Sudden drops, soft mud, sharp rocks and rubbish etc

Archived