1989 ducato axle removel

dave158

hi all ,, recently bought a,1989 ducato in need off a fair bit off front end welding, this is in process off being done by my brother so i'm doing a few bits on it while he does his thing,, i need to remove the rear axle as its been badly painted with under and is a right mess,, i have managed to remove all bolts from the brackets but there is a bar attached to the axle that is attached to a floor rail and i have removed a bolt holding it to the rail but can't get the axle to drop at all without it trying to bend that bar,, how do i remove bar or is there a knack to dropped the axle with bar attached, thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I’m not sure if any forum member will have sufficient knowledge of Ducato Mk 1 vehicles to deal with your question.

(I suspect that the ‘bar’ is an anti-roll/sway bar, but that’s just a guess and I’ve no idea if there’s a trick to remove it that avoids brute force.)

If you don’t get an answer here, you might try the Fiat forum

https://www.fiatforum.com/

or the Talbot Express Owners Club & Forum that also covers Ducato Mk 1 vehicles

https://talbotoc.com/

(Photos of the rear axle assembly and of the bar might help and - if the vehicle is a motorhome - details of its make and model.)

Hi,

i have 30 years working on iveco, have you completley removed the u bolts if not then you will need to remove them there is two saddles top and bottom and the bolts become stuck, sometimes you have to cut them out they are not that expensive to replace , or if you have the time try soaking them in wd40 or something like that and leave it if you have the time and just keep sprayinh it. remember if you do try and knock them out put the nuts back on so you dont damage the ubolt thread

good

hi yes have removed all bolts from both sides and had to cut a few off they where jist wahy to gone to come out, so the only thing holding it is the bar managed to remove a nut from one end but cant get onto nuts on other end they have been completely stripped so thinking may have to grind the bar off i just dont want to untill can find a replacement and doing a searh on what was suggested it was cant find anything so im open to your suggestions for getting it off

thanks

hi all, so manage to get axle off , there was two nuts heavy covered in underseal so once seen them it was just matter off undoing them and bar came off allowing axle to come off so all good,, thanks for all your advice

Archived