fuel filler cap fiat ducato

cej

hi, with all the possible problems of theft by stealing one's fuel cap to get a ignition key made, I have made many requests of motor factors to provide me with a locking cap to fit a 2006 fiat ducato, but to no avail!!!! all point me back to FIAT who only sell a cap which requires you to fit your existing barrel !!and utulise the same ey, so no gain there. HALFORDS said they have been selling a lot of fuel caps and are aware of what the crooks are up to!! SO does anyone know where i can get a locking fuel cap to fit a 2006 fiat ducato 2.3td???best regard colin

Hi Colin- I was always given to understand that a key cut to suit a fuel cap would not start the engine because it would not contain the transponder or whatever in the original key. Admittingly it may gain access through the cab doors, but lets face it, that can be done by any low life on Fiat/ Pug doors. If still worried, it may be worth finding a decent locksmith shop, and they are thin on the ground, and take your filler cap to see if they could inprovise a new barrel into it with a different key. Regards chas

Hi Rob and All,

I've just fitted a normal domestic door safety chain to each of the cab doors. When - not if the door is forced again, the chain only allows the door to open around half an inch and the internal sounder, underbonnet and habitation alarms will activate, by virtue of the reed door switches wired to the habitation alarm, and current sensing on the underbonnet alarm.

The door chain and bracket is fitted just above the step well and the long elongated slotted bit is attached to the cab door.

I will dispense with the Fiamma webbing strap between doors, although the strap brackets are well below the armrests, it can still be seen if looking for such a device, and would encourage a window to be broken so the strap can be cut.

Regards Terry

My Fiat ignition key also functions for the fuel cap, even though it is chipped for security.

To gain door security, why strap doors to each other with something that is visible from outside, or indeed, inside the van.

Surely a better way to "deter" the determined thief is to secure the doors from outside access when you occupy the 'vanis to use locks/bolts or straps that are not obviously visible and fixed to a lower part of the door or at least the floor of the 'van, say around the seat frame or nearby.

cej - 2007-04-11 11:16 PM

all point me back to FIAT who only sell a cap which requires you to fit your existing barrel !!and utulise the same key, so no gain there.

Are FIAT saying that they will only supply a cap with a barrel that will only fit your key / ignition ?

(Assuming that you have lost the cap and the barrel cannot be transfered ? )

BTW do Pug dealers say the same ?

Rgds

no, all fiat,peugeot and citroen dealers will only sell a new cap, minus the barrel, or take the reg no etc and provide a new cap with a barrel to fit the original key, which i am trying to get away from!! i haven't lost the original cap or key, just trying to have a fuel cap on the vehicle, that if stolen by an undesirable, and a key is made to fit the stolen cap, it will not start the engine etc....colin

On an earlier thread on this subject I warned that the exceptionally sturdy Fiamma replacement for a Pug (therefore for the other two as well) is not a good investment. It just would not fit however hard I tried. Do not make the same mistake.

Night all, Mike

My Elnagh A Class, on a Ducato Maxi base, has both fuel and water filler caps of the same design, different keys.

They seem to be a good fit and secure

These caps I have seen available in accessory shops but I can't remember the make.

Will look at my locking caps and report back later.

Maybe that Elnagh have fitted a different filler neck being an altered body?

cej - 2007-04-12 11:37 PM

no, all fiat,peugeot and citroen dealers will only sell a new cap, minus the barrel, or take the reg no etc and provide a new cap with a barrel to fit the original key, which i am trying to get away from!! i haven't lost the original cap or key, just trying to have a fuel cap on the vehicle, that if stolen by an undesirable, and a key is made to fit the stolen cap, it will not start the engine etc....colin

Might be worth writing to the companies pointing out that the reason for asking for a seperate key and cap is for the sake of security, asking if they would change their policy.

Or find a motorhome friend willing to swap keys / caps

Or accept that most tealeaves know that a flat bladed screwdriver, a hearty thump and twist of the barrel in the door, will force the lock in any case. So why do they go to the bother of stealing the fuel cap ?

( I suppose earlier versions of the key, did not have chips for an imobiliser and this in turn would start the engine).

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...
I was told by the local Fiat workshop manager that any key made to fit the Ducatto filler cap definately would not start the engine because of the chip.Wether he's right or not I dont know but why not discard it for a replacement cap minus the lock & just fit a lock to the flap itself which should be fairly easy. (?)

Suggestion!

Why don't two of you who want to do this, both go and get keys and caps made for your own vehicle, then post to each other. Then you have achieved what you want and no one else will know what the real van is your filler cap belongs to. As long as you trist the person you pair up with there is no problem.

Archived