19" 12v TV

Deffheads

What is the best 19" tv for a motorhome? Has to be 12v, but do not need any satellite tuner as most of our watching is via wifi. Looked at Avtex, way too expensive and all seem to come with sat tuners. Would like good quality sound and picture.

I guess that Avtex are the best 12v TVs but if you don’t want to pay their prices have a look at the cheaper domestic small tvs, some of which may operate at mains voltage but via a transformer. Check the label on the transformer to establish whether the output is 12 volts. You should then be able to use the output cable to connect the tv in the MH. I did this with a cheap 21” tv from Aldi (£120) and it works well enough.

Bulletguy - 2021-07-31 6:23 PM

Yes Avtex aren't exactly cheap but are damn good sets plus multi standard so will receive in any European country.

...don't quote me, but since the switch to digital transmission, I believe any set capable of DVBT-2 terrestrial reception (i.e. can receive the HD channels in the UK) should work across Europe, the various differing standards having been harmonised for the digital world.

Deffheads - 2021-07-31 8:04 PM

Can I ask what you call a very good price?

From memory I think I paid £150. It was a few years ago now and the model was W103D, a 10" tv with dvd player. Brand new in box. The picture clarity is crystal sharp with excellent colour.

I have had a Cello traveller TV for quite a while now, runs off 12V or 240V, make sure you get the Traveller version. They’re made at a factory in Durham and you can get the 19” version for £190 on their EBay outlet. Our 16” version is fine in our camper van but our home TV is 20 years old so maybe we are not that discerning regarding picture and sound quality!

I have a 19" 12/240 volt BUSH TV bought at a store that sells unsold Argos stuff. It is an excellent TV, so much so that I went back and bought a 22" Mains version for the Kitchen at home. Both have a DVD player, the small one was £75, the bigger one £85. Mind you, that was 6 years ago.

The main criteria is the viewing angle. Some TV sets are useless, the BUSH models are excellent in this respect.

Interesting that some are saying you can now tune in your TV in mainland Europe. When we change vans (eventually) if there is no satellite dish on it I probably wont bother and I wont bother to transfer the Camos Dome thats been on the roof of the old one for 13 years. Bit pointless now as the footprint is garbage.

We bought a 16" Akura TV many moons ago and its been great. I bought because it was the lowest power consumption I could find at just 14w or 1.2amps. I paid less than a £100 for it.

Biggest issue with motorhome TVs is the sound quality so as it has a USB and headphone port I just plug in some USB powered speakers which makes a massive difference. About £15.

We tend to watch more stuff downloaded on the laptop these days.

When our Aldi £99.99 TV eventually packed up just before the lockdown we decided to look out for an Avtex and found one second hand but only used once and still in the box for £200. A model L219DRS-PRO, it is 21.5" though, I tried it at home and it seemed perfect. We used it in the van on 12v for the first time in July and the picture was superb but we couldn’t hear it ! and had to use subtitles all the time. I found someone else with the same set and asked to try theirs…….it was just the same. I called Avtex (very good they answer the phone immediately) and was told…..”A lot of people say that just get our soundbar”

Well I couldn’t find any other soundbar for 12v that I was sure would connect to the Avtex TV so had to buy their own one at £140, the best price I could find for the model SB195BT. Well it fits to the stand fixing and looks and sounds very nice but it is certainly not all that exciting volume wise. It does a few other things like playing music from your phone but I’m likely to use that feature myself, however we can now hear it OK.

If I hadn’t picked up the TV at a bargain price I would be quite disappointed and my wife says it’s not really fit for purpose without the extra investment of a soundbar. Just a warning to others really, that’s all.

I have an Avtex 19 and its ok, but what people dont think of is its not a Smart TV ie it cannot be internet connected. This may not seem important, but this is the way ahead, DVD is like VHS are on the way out. If you have unlimited internet you can stream netfilx etc and the uk channels from anywhere these days. They are sold for vans.

To cure sound problems I have an FM modulator powered by two AAA batteries which plugs into the earphone socket on the TV. It then broadcasts an FM signal to the van radio. When tuned to the right frequency it then broadcasts the TV throughout the van on the radio speakers. A bonus is you can take a transistor radio outside and listen to any radio station your TV is broadcasting.

I tried an FM modulator in the Avtex headphone socket on several different frequencies. They all worked but there was a lot of interference which I'm told is down to the vehicle Canbus system. But anyway the van radio draws a lot of current which put me off the idea.

Strangely though I can listen to music from a pendrive in the FM Modulator and it sounds perfect without any interference. *-)

Re transmitting the sound to a bar or speakers is there any "mileage" in using a Bluetooth adapter transmitting to any of the many self-contained Bluetooth speaker? [ours is a cheap SONY Bass unit, with USB connected rechargeable lithium battery]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZXFD-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connections-Wireless/dp/B08LZ7GFS8/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter+3.5mm&qid=1628515523&sr=8-10

I have a cheap and cheerful Cello TV/DVD and use small USB speakers that are attached to the top of the TV with a couple of simple brackets. The TV has a Chromecast device to provide a link to phones and tablets for streaming. It all works pretty well and not expensive.

Archived