Gas

BIFFO

Hi all. I’ve recently tried to replace my 6kg propane gas bottle here in Ireland. Unfortunately there’s none to be had. There’s no outlet refilling gas bottles due to health and safety and the bottle itself is not readily available. So. I believe I can change to the more popular butane (yellow bottle) but was told that it is not as efficient as propane. Any advice on this please. Thanks. Safe driving to all.

Well you have been mislead on the efficiency bit.

It has a hang up though in that it does not gas off at all below 0 C, in reality due to gassing off also chilling the flask itself, means high demand draw offs like space heating can struggle at an ambient of sub 6 C.

It is also cheaper in general and you get a kilo or more in similar size flasks, eg 7 butane vs 6 propane kgs, share same physical size flask.

Some suppliers in more normal times exchange butane to propane flasks and the other way, so running butane in summer, propane the rest of the year is viable. [Check as presently they are awkward on exchanges].You need differing connectors, but both gases can use, the now more common 30mb regulators.

BIFFO - 2021-08-12 8:37 PM

Hi all. I’ve recently tried to replace my 6kg propane gas bottle here in Ireland. Unfortunately there’s none to be had. There’s no outlet refilling gas bottles due to health and safety and the bottle itself is not readily available. So. I believe I can change to the more popular butane (yellow bottle) but was told that it is not as efficient as propane. Any advice on this please. Thanks. Safe driving to all.

we have always used Butane for the last 25 years, cheaper and no problem whatsoever,

There is a place in Dublin that sells UK fitting Calor bottles, I bought one there a couple of years ago. Can't remember the name but at the time I researched it online, I am sure you will be able to find it online, I bought a 6kg propane bottle.

Hope this helps.

Calor and Flogas distribute in the Republic of Ireland propane/butane gas canisters similar in capacity to the bottles that those companies market in the UK

https://www.calorgas.ie/cylinders/help-me-choose-a-gas-bottle/product-overview?uas=1583be6d-57be-4bbd-a92f-c316cbf66947

https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/lpg-bottled-gas/about-our-cylinders/

However, my understanding is that the outlet-valves of 'Irish-spec' gas bottles may differ from those of ‘UK spec’ bottles.

Archived