X290 Brake Light Rear View Camera

trialsrider

Hi there

I've had a rear view camera on my 2016 boxer pvc for two years. It works great but it's the numberplate type and when I have a motorbike on the rear bike rack all I can see is the damn bike. The bike on the back tricks the reverse sensors into thinking a obstacle is near too.

I want to change to a brakelight camera above the barn doors. I want to be able to see my bumper when reversing as the camera is solely to help park and reverse off my drive. Does anybody have one fitted and could tell me what sort of vertical view they get ? Are any of the built in cameras adjustable to get a better view ? Any recommendations please.

We have a Dometic CAM35 Twin which I fitted, but had to get the reversing signal connected professionally (CAN bus stuff!). This is a twin camera set-up, one for permanent rear view (no internal rear view mirror, plus tiny rear door windows), the other for reversing, which gives the look down view.

There is a slightly cheaper version designated CAM35 Rear, which is similar but without the rear view camera. It is very neat, and integrates with the van bodywork very well. The camera mounts and angles are fixed (so no adjustment is possible), but are well judged.

Fitting is straightforward. The high level brake light is first removed and disconnected (remembering to keep a draw through on the wires - just in case! :-)).

The power cable was then run behind the dashboard from monitor to power + earth (I used the 12V dashboard cig lighter connections to gain an ignition switched supply), and the front to rear camera connecting cable run from the monitor to the high level brake light aperture (which is the "fun" bit! :-)), and drawn through the aperture beside the high level brake light wiring.

The camera body is then fitted in lieu of the high level brake light (screws supplied - though I replaced those with stainless), and both camera and high level brake light cables both drawn through the brake light aperture in the camera body. The short camera "tails" are then connected to the camera connecting cable, the brake light wiring re-connected to the brake light, and finally the brake light fitted to the camera body.

It is neat, weatherproof, and functions well. I leave the monitor permanently switched on, so as soon as the engine starts the monitor and rear view camera go live, and as soon as revers gear is selected the look down view replaces the rear view, reverting automatically to rear view when reverse id de-selected. In addition, either camera can be selected manually from the monitor if required.

Very good performance on both cameras, including in low light - though low rear sun can cause problems for the rear view. Performance is also good on wet roads, although spray can cause the rear view to go misty until the lens gets fully wetted and clears.

In reversing mode the camera shows the full width of the rear bumper plus ground to either side and a reasonable (unmeasured) area behind the van, that I imagine would show the whole of your trailer plus some ground behind that.

In rear view mode the camera shows a similar area to that visible on the upper external rear view mirrors. Both cameras provide a reversed (mirror) view on the monitor.

My only caution is that in reversing mode small objects, such as low bollards, are not easy to spot when close to he rear bumper, because they are being viewed from almost immediately above (lesson learned! :-S )

However, I would not expect this camera set up to work with your existing monitor, as different manufacturers seem to use different wires for different purposes, plus different connectors which are also differently wired. It is normally supplied as a complete kit including all cables plus monitor.

Thanks for the info Brian. Very helpful.

Brian Kirby - 2021-08-17 11:19 AM

We have a Dometic CAM35 Twin which I fitted, but had to get the reversing signal connected professionally (CAN bus stuff!). This is a twin camera set-up, one for permanent rear view (no internal rear view mirror, plus tiny rear door windows), the other for reversing, which gives the look down view.

There is a slightly cheaper version designated CAM35 Rear, which is similar but without the rear view camera. It is very neat, and integrates with the van bodywork very well. The camera mounts and angles are fixed (so no adjustment is possible), but are well judged.

Fitting is straightforward. The high level brake light is first removed and disconnected (remembering to keep a draw through on the wires - just in case! :-)).

The power cable was then run behind the dashboard from monitor to power + earth (I used the 12V dashboard cig lighter connections to gain an ignition switched supply), and the front to rear camera connecting cable run from the monitor to the high level brake light aperture (which is the "fun" bit! :-)), and drawn through the aperture beside the high level brake light wiring.

The camera body is then fitted in lieu of the high level brake light (screws supplied - though I replaced those with stainless), and both camera and high level brake light cables both drawn through the brake light aperture in the camera body. The short camera "tails" are then connected to the camera connecting cable, the brake light wiring re-connected to the brake light, and finally the brake light fitted to the camera body.

It is neat, weatherproof, and functions well. I leave the monitor permanently switched on, so as soon as the engine starts the monitor and rear view camera go live, and as soon as revers gear is selected the look down view replaces the rear view, reverting automatically to rear view when reverse id de-selected. In addition, either camera can be selected manually from the monitor if required.

Very good performance on both cameras, including in low light - though low rear sun can cause problems for the rear view. Performance is also good on wet roads, although spray can cause the rear view to go misty until the lens gets fully wetted and clears.

In reversing mode the camera shows the full width of the rear bumper plus ground to either side and a reasonable (unmeasured) area behind the van, that I imagine would show the whole of your trailer plus some ground behind that.

In rear view mode the camera shows a similar area to that visible on the upper external rear view mirrors. Both cameras provide a reversed (mirror) view on the monitor.

My only caution is that in reversing mode small objects, such as low bollards, are not easy to spot when close to he rear bumper, because they are being viewed from almost immediately above (lesson learned! :-S )

However, I would not expect this camera set up to work with your existing monitor, as different manufacturers seem to use different wires for different purposes, plus different connectors which are also differently wired. It is normally supplied as a complete kit including all cables plus monitor.

I fitted a brake light camera to my previous Globecar.

They now appear to be pretty ubiquitous and as cheap as chips, but the one I used was similar to that shown as version 2 here (though bought elsewhere):

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/fiat-ducato-high-level-brake-light-reversing-camera.html

(I didn't encounter any issue with whether it was attached internally or externally (ver 1 and ver 2 here - the difference simply wasn't apparent at the time, but you may need to be careful).

There was a slight amount of adjustment in angle - mine was (I think) adjusted fully outwards, and I was able to see clearly over the swivel bike rack and two bikes attached on the back (albeit, when the bikes were covered it obscured the lower view of the road slightly).

My 'van wasn't pre-wired, so I had to run the cable myself, which took a little time, but wasn't over difficult to find a route down and out of the rear quarter, under the 'van, and back in under the driver's door step, with no additional drilling required using existing holes and grommets.

In addition, my satnav/radio has a camera button, so I didn't need canbus reverse switching (and I much prefer the radio switching).

Hi

The camera I had was a Carmedien and its connected to a Pioneer head unit. The model I had is no longer on Amazon all the instrutions were in German which I can't read but it was easy to fit it was a bolt in fixing and I had to remove the fixing nuts that held the standard brake light. My van was pre wired but the cost addaptors was more that a new lead and as I was fitting my busbiker bike rack I feed all the wireing though at the same time.

Paul

Archived