Canned food into France

Randonneur

I’m sure that you will have come across the information I’ve quoted below, it’s very similar to the UK government website. The key point I think is that generally the issue is not how items are packaged – ie canned or wrapped etc, but what they consist of. So for instance I would expect a can of frankfurters or a frozen meat feast pizza to be banned (meat products). Canned fruit would not be banned it being a processed fruit product. Canned rice pudding would however be banned (dairy product).Simplest I think to take nothing and stock up at a French supermarket on arrival.

Meat and dairy products

Meat, meat products (which do not “look” like meat but are made from it), milk and dairy products cannot be imported. This includes, for example. yogurt, cheese or Bovril.

There is an exception for less than 2 kg of powdered baby milk and baby food or special food needed for medical reasons (if it is food that does not need to be refrigerated and are brand name items and in undamaged packaging, unless needed for current use). This category also includes special pet foods required for veterinary purposes.

Fish and seafood: up to 20 kg of fish can be imported

For certain other animal products, including live oysters and mussels and honey, up to 2 kg are allowed

Plant products

You cannot bring real plants, or cut plants and flowers, or fruits and vegetables, or seeds. Exceptions include pineapple, banana, coconut, durians, and dates, as they are considered risk-free.

You cannot bring firewood and logs

What can you bring in?

With regard to dairy, for example, you can bring in processed products with only a moderate amount of dairy in them, such as milk chocolate.

As for the rules on plants and plant products, they essentially refer to fresh plants, vegetables and fruits etc, so you can bring in for example rolled porridge oats (but not whole oat seed suitable for planting), you can bring in teabags, but not fresh whole, unfermented tea leaves, and roasted coffee beans are acceptable.

You can also bring in items containing products of plant origin but processed, crushed, powdered, cooked etc... so that would inlude eg. biscuits and baked beans (however it may be safer to put the latter in hold luggage however, in case considered too 'liquid' for cabin rules).

All the above information I have already found. What was looking for was some confirmation of taking something to open on the journey, I lived in France for 14 years so shopping is not a problem. My problem that I am a solo traveller and am taking my dog who he has never been left in the van on his own

Randonneur - 2021-08-18 3:11 PM

All the above information I have already found. What was looking for was some confirmation of taking something to open on the journey, I lived in France for 14 years so shopping is not a problem. MY problem that I am a solo traveller and am taking my dog who he has never been left in the van on his own

Not sure if I've understood you Sylvia. I assume the food is for you, not for the dog? I also assume you'll use the Shuttle, as AFAIK dogs have to remain in the vehicle on ferries.

In which case it seems you have three options.

1. Take a sandwich or similar to eat on the shuttle.

2. Go to a supermarket as soon as you get to France, and stock up for the next few days, including lunch. I assume you'll have to this whatever you do for lunch, as you'll need food at least for your evening meal and the next day's breakfast. That nice, large, Auchan on Avenue Roger Salengro, Calais, here: N50.94323 E1.80813 ? :-D

3. Sniff out a decent French restaurant for lunch, and dine in style - in which case you probably won't need to eat again for hours - though you'll probably still want breakfast the next day, so the supermarket still looms. :'(

witzend - 2021-08-18 5:03 PM

My problem that I am a solo traveller and am taking my dog who he has never been left in the van on his own

Put a old mat on the floor an lock it in the shower it'll not do any harm in there

I presume you are joking. Wouldn’t do that at home never mind in the van.

Brian Kirby - 2021-08-18 4:52 PM

All the above information I have already found. What was looking for was some confirmation of taking something to open on the journey, I lived in France for 14 years so shopping is not a problem. MY problem that I am a solo traveller and am taking my dog who he has never been left in the van on his own

Not sure if I've understood you Sylvia. I assume the food is for you, not for the dog? I also assume you'll use the Shuttle, as AFAIK dogs have to remain in the vehicle on ferries.

2. Go to a supermarket as soon as you get to France, and stock up for the next few days, including lunch. I assume you'll have to this whatever you do for lunch, as you'll need food at least for your evening meal and the next day's breakfast. That nice, large, Auchan on Avenue Roger Salengro, Calais, here: N50.94323 E1.80813 ? :-D

3. Sniff out a decent French restaurant for lunch, and dine in style - in which case you probably won't need to eat again for hours - though you'll probably still want breakfast the next day, so the supermarket still looms. :'(

I have read and re-read all the rules and regulations from everywhere, I will only be travelling 90 minutes to the tunnel so don’t need a sandwich but again that is Illegal.

tonyishuk - 2021-08-18 9:34 PM

Maybe raises a potential problem , if you take canned dog food with you ?

Rgds

I guess that depends what it's made of.

If all meat products are banned I doubt if it makes any difference who is going to eat it.

:-(

malc d - 2021-08-18 10:16 PM

tonyishuk - 2021-08-18 9:34 PM

Maybe raises a potential problem , if you take canned dog food with you ?

Rgds

I guess that depends what it's made of.

If all meat products are banned I doubt if it makes any difference who is going to eat it.

:-(

Precisely. With the exception of “special pet foods required for veterinary purposes” .

Dog food is available in France so hopefully not an issue.

Randonneur - 2021-08-18 6:14 PM

I have read and re-read all the rules and regulations from everywhere, I will only be travelling 90 minutes to the tunnel so don’t need a sandwich but again that is Illegal.

Not if you were to eat it on the shuttle (or at the terminal before boarding) before entering France. As your profile shows you being in Cheshire, I had assumed you might be arriving at Folkestone around lunch time, so that a bite on the shuttle might be an option.

But, if that isn't practical, and you would arrive in France earlier, why not shop early as well? There are a number of supermarkets in and around Calais, so if you can say what route you'd take from Coquelles, I could suggest alternatives to the Calais Auchan - with GPS coordinates. Or, if easier, at other towns along your route.

I don't know if dogs are allowed into French supermarkets - but the French seem to take theirs with them pretty much everywhere.

Brian Kirby - 2021-08-19 8:14 AM

1. Take a sandwich or similar to eat on the shuttle......

.........Not if you were to eat it on the shuttle (or at the terminal before boarding) before entering France. As your profile shows you being in Cheshire, I had assumed you might be arriving at Folkestone around lunch time, so that a bite on the shuttle might be an option

I don't think you can eat your sandwich on the shuttle?

You go through French customs before you board Eurotunnel, so your ham sandwich will have been confiscated and you will be next in line for Madame la Guillotine!

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2021-08-19 9:51 AM........................I don't think you can eat your sandwich on the shuttle?

You go through French customs before you board Eurotunnel, so your ham sandwich will have been confiscated and you will be next in line for Madame la Guillotine! Jeremy

I hadn't thought of that Jeremy - I had assumed the inspections etc would be carried out on disembarkation, when actually on French soil. So, it might be worth Sylvia ringing Eurotunnel to see if they can clarify. Otherwise, sarnies in the Folkestone car park (or further back to suit route and timing) seems seems the available option. Not sure about vegan sandwiches to also comply with the EU phytosanitary regs. Possibly a work around?

All the above information I have already found. What was looking for was some confirmation of taking something to open on the journey, I lived in France for 14 years so shopping is not a problem. My problem that I am a solo traveller and am taking my dog who he has never been left in the van on his own

Not too clear just what the issue is about leaving your dog - do you mean on the ferry or if you had to go shopping on arrival? Either way, suggest you try leaving him in the van for a while before you start your journey, perhaps with a favourite chew to make it a good experience.

Regarding dog food, if that's a problem, suggest try vegan.....no customs problem.

The ‘customs’ rules on bringing goods into the UK for personal use are covered here

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

This issue was mauled over (at some length) in this forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-Food-to-be-Taken-to-Europe-/57186/

As this is an EU thing, the ‘food related’ restrictions won’t just apply to France nor only to the motorcaravanning species.

Archived