Overnight at Dunkerque

hymer

I have overnighted at the ferry terminal a few times a but not on a Saturday night. If you do stay at the terminal then stop outside the office and not in the nearby lorry park as the last trip we did we were woken in the early hours by a load of illegal imigrants sneaking around the back of the van looking for likely hiding places on lorries or any vehicle. The customs officer told me that they are now there 24/7 so be warned.

The last time we used Dunkerque we stayed in the lorry park but right up the far end with other motorhomers. On the way back we stayed outside the ferry terminal. We were asked when going through checkout whewre we had travelled from to the terminal that morning when we said just from the terminal carpark we were asked had we checked the van underneath and had we had any visitors in the van. Had we checked the loo & under the bed etc. We inwardly laughed as we only have a panel van conversion. No where for anyone to hide.

Motorhomer

Guest starspirit

Between Calais and Dunkerque is a coastal village called Grand Fort Phillipe and there are several places suitable for an overnight stop in the area. The nicest is by the river estuary where there is a free parking area alongside the beach and harbour estuary wall.

It was very quiet and the locals smiled so I guess they are happy to allow us responsible users the odd overnight?

The area is probably worth a longer stay but we ran out of days!

We have stayed on the carpark at Gravelines just before the Camping des Dunes to the east of the estuary a couple of times without problems. There is now a public wc but no services - they are signposted at the caravan park on the way out of the town. We have also stayed in the queuing lanes after booking in at the terminal at 9pm for the 6am sailing but it can be noisy from lorries - at least it's inside the security fence!

Steve

Archived