Use of gas whilst travelling

Tanskavan

Yes we do have 12 volt, and use it, however a friend of a friend suggested we could (I thought in sounded a little suspect) however what did throw me somewhat was that on approaching certain tunnels I have seen a sign saying that the gas should be turned off prior to entering.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Tony

Forgive me for saying so but using gas in transit is about as silly as you can get.  If you have an accident you could easily be blown up in the fireball !!

I think I'm right in saying that my fridge (in gas mode) won't even work in transit.  I'd certainly suggest you cool it overnight then use the 12v feed to maintain it's cold temperature until you arrive at site.

Hi W2G

I think you'll find that your fridge will probably work on LPG whilst on the move, all our previous motorhome fridges certainly have and that's part of the problem as it's too easy to forget to change them over to 12v before driving off.

We now have a new van with an auto energy selection (AES) fridge so once we've set it to auto mode we don't have to worry as it switches itself to 12v as soon as the engine is started, however, I must admit that I am not that happy driving around with the gas connection in the 'open' mode but if I don't it defeats the object of having the convenience. :-S

Yeah we have the same automatic system Mel.  I agree about the open gas but we haven't used it on gas yet . . . apart from when we arrived at a site and the auto selection would only go between gas and 12v.

We then found the electric kettle and TV didn't work and upon investigation I discovered I'd forgotten the attach the other end of the cable to the post.  Must have been distracted going through my routine ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2007-04-13 11:18 PM
sshortcircuit - 2007-04-13 10:39 PM W2G "If you have an accident you could easily be blown up in the fireball !! So LPG power vehicles are unsafe? ???????? 2

No, they just aren't connected to their gas supply by a rubber hose!

Thanks Brian

From a legality point of view, I believe there is currently no general restriction in the UK preventing you from running gas-powered fridges in a moving motorhome, though this is not the case elsewhere (Dometic's fridge manual mentions that the practice is banned in France and Australia). However there will be specific UK restrictions (at petrol-stations, in tunnels, etc.)

What crosses my mind its the rubber hose that could be flexing, chaff and leak at any time when on the move.

On a low pressure system (regulator on the bottle) or on a high pressure system (rubber hose between gas canister and regulator, where a leak would dump all the gas in one go !) the only time you would know there is a problem is when you turn the gas on and smell it.

Pumping out leaking gas, as you pass a spark, may not be the best way to test the system of leaks.

*-)

Way2Go - 2007-04-13 10:12 PM

Forgive me for saying so but using gas in transit is about as silly as you can get.  If you have an accident you could easily be blown up in the fireball !!

I think I'm right in saying that my fridge (in gas mode) won't even work in transit.  I'd certainly suggest you cool it overnight then use the 12v feed to maintain it's cold temperature until you arrive at site.

A bit melodramatic don't you think?I leave my fridge on gas when doing stop/start trips to save continually messing with the fridge, and then usually forgetting to put it back onto gas when i stop.

It may have sounded melodramatic but I guess the dangers of smoking while refilling your petrol tank is also a bit melodramatic?

After all, accidents always happen to someone else don't they? . . . . and in your case I think you're on borrowed time if that's the practice you adopt.

Oh, and you might want to check your insurance policy under the heading "if you do this don't bother phoning us for compensation".

livewire - 2007-04-14 1:18 PM
Way2Go - 2007-04-13 10:12 PM

A bit melodramatic don't you think? I leave my fridge on gas when doing stop/start trips to save continually messing with the fridge, and then usually forgetting to put it back onto gas when i stop.

We've had this one before, and no one could agree then!  It is a difficult conflict between what it sensible, and what is merely convenient.

Those who left the gas on while driving almost all had some slightly spurious reason for doing so.  Those who turned it off could see the risks more clearly, and thought they outweighed the convenience.  Maybe they were more risk averse, maybe just that bit more thoughtful.

Some folk still don't like seatbelts, others can see the point of these, too.  You just have to accept that when driving, someone else, and not you, may control what happens next.  Accept that, and you begin to see why wearing seatbelts and turning off gas at the bottle is the sensible, if slightly less convenient, option.

Way2Go - 2007-04-14 1:53 PM

It may have sounded melodramatic but I guess the dangers of smoking while refilling your petrol tank is also a bit melodramatic?

After all, accidents always happen to someone else don't they? . . . . and in your case I think you're on borrowed time if that's the practice you adopt.

Oh, and you might want to check your insurance policy under the heading "if you do this don't bother phoning us for compensation".

I have never suggested that there is not a risk involved, i just think it is small enough not to worry about. I certainly think you don't need to get hysterical about it. If it was an issue, it would be so easy for manufacturer's to negate it by an electric valve that operates when the engine is running. Rather than expecting people to go outside and unlock the gas locker etc.I also can't think of many m/h's erupting into fireballs as you suggest over the last few years. It's all down to risk assessment.On the subject of petrol and how dangerous that it, should that not be banned for use in vehicles altogether in case of an accident?

Archived