Overnight at Calais

Way2Go

Dear knowledgable people,

Well, we've just booked our first european trip and have booked a Sea France ferry in July for £76.  We will arrive at Calais at 00:45 so were wondering where we can park?

Do they allow sleeping on the dockside or can someone recommend a safe spot close to the docks?

Many thanks oh worshipful members of 'wave as you go'.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi W2G,

Yes we always use the dockside in preference to the Calais Aire now, we find less disturbance though I use earplugs to avoid the noise of the lorry movements through the night, but thats better than the local rif raf keeping you constantly on edge.

Follow the exit road inside the terminal and at the roundabout signed Calais centre you need to go anticlockwise round the roundabout right round and double back into the road before the one you entered the roundabout on, hope that is clear enough.

As you use the exit road you will see all the vehicles, including motorhomes and caravans to your left parked up behind a wire fence, that is where you have got to get to. If you should accidently slip on to the motorway just 'U' turn at the next intersection and slip into the waiting area on your return.

Bas

hi way2go

we just stopped at docks in calais on friday night very noisy>:-( & i wouldnt recomend it, wagons rattle past every hour & sometimes inbetween. it all depends which way your going but i would drive a short distance & find a aire out of town (lol)

Have a look also at the posting about Dunkerque and the risk of asylum seekers looking for places to stow away.  Might not be so good an idea to look as though you may be waiting to board ferries for UK. 

If you can travel on a bit, what about the Aire at Arques, just outside St Omer.  About an hour down the A26/N43.  See page 92 of April's MMM.

Looks nice, but I don't know how you'll be welcomed by your neighbours if you turn up at 01:45 am!  Can your motorhome tip-toe in? 

Guest JudgeMental

We pulled into an Aire on our way to "ile de Rae" last year. it was about 3 in the morning we were as quiet as could be , but the 4 french vans there all opened the doors and inspected our arrival and waved hello when they recognised us fellow weary travellers!

As this is your first trip to France, I would take the advice on this post and head a little outside Calais and find a quit Aire of Route.

Alternatively change crossing to daylight hours and consider a site. there is a nice site with an excellent restaurant, " La Ben Assise" in Guines just outside Calais - a much nicer start to a holiday then worrying about poor unfortunate people clinging to the under side of your camper?

carioca - 2007-04-15 1:32 PM

hi way2go

we just stopped at docks in calais on friday night very noisy>:-( & i wouldnt recomend it, wagons rattle past every hour & sometimes inbetween. it all depends which way your going but i would drive a short distance & find a aire out of town (lol)

Yes I did say I use earplugs to cut out the lorry unloading and movement noise, but provided you do and are aware in advance there is no real problem, I would recommend it if you arrive late in the dark and you have no certain place to stop, most of the Aires can be full late at night. Dozens of others do the same so perhaps we are more tolerant of the noises who knows. Our experience of the Calais Aire was that with the local 'Chav' community with their cars and mopeds belting up and down into the early hours of the morning was far worse than the dock area in my opinion, just get some earplugs of the sort that motorcyclists wear and you will be fine.

We have used the docks overnight for the past few years and it is quite secure and much easier than trying to reach an unknown Aire in the dark in the hope that there is space available. We did do that one time and ended up driving through the night in the end as we could find no available spaces late at night on Aires.

Bas

Another alternative is to head for Boulogne and overnight on the Auchan Hypermarket car park. There is plenty of room, you won't wake anyone up or cause a disturbance and it's free. The next morning you can pop into Auchan for breakfast do your shopping and be on your way again. The Auchan petrol station now has a motorhome service point and also sells Autogas.

Hi,

A very handy overnight spot in Calais away from the docks and the seafront boy-racers, is on the Boulevard de la Resistance in the town only about 5 minutes drive or 15 minutes walk away from the official Aire.

This spot is on a large area of hard standing facing across an inlet to the Yacht Club premises. As you drive West along the Boulevard de la Resistance towards the Boulevard de 8 Mai, you will see it to your right and there will usually be campers parked on here.

I have used it occasionally over recent years and found that there are generally others overnighting there as well as spending the day. It is pretty quiet throughout the day and (importantly for me) at night also, although there will be the occasional HGV moving on or off.

Of course, if you can avoid Calais, then I would concur with others to sleep somewhere further into France for an altogether more peaceful night and pleasant awakening.

Nobby

We have used the Calais port parking area for years and find it very convenient. You can park right in front of the booking office if you feel at all nervous of the unforeseen. Also the area is more secure and regularly patrolled nowdays which was not the case when Sangette was all the rage.

We sleep well so noise has never been a problem for us. If you are going over on a Sat/Sun night the lorry traffic will be much less.

Have fun.

Wow, was a great bunch of advice.  Thank you all.

Initially, we couldn't decide whether to sleepover at Dover then cross early morning or cross late and stay in France.  In the end we decided to leave Friday night (as soon as we get home from work) and catch the 22:30 Sea France ferry arriving in Calais at 00:45 on Saturday morning.

We're heading over to Germany so depending on tiredness and mood we may checkout one or two of the suggestions or go a bit further inland.  I'll set the SatNav Aire POI so we should be able to find it in the dark.

Many thanks for some good advice from you experienced people.

Way2Go

Do you really want to be gropping around at one o'clock in the morning looking for an Aires? Look to your left (at the car park) as you leave the port and you might change your mind! You can easily turn back.

I agree Ron, I'd sooner not arrive at that time in the morning and start hunting for somewhere to park so may very well park at the docks.  I'm sure when we've done a few more we'll be as knowledgeable as you guys.

The reason we joined this forum was to get advice and help from experienced people.  In that respect you've all come through or us and we appreciate it.

I hope in some small way we have managed to repay the debit with help in other areas.

Thanks again

W2G

Just to add that I think you have made a good decision to go on a late crossing, which applies to any time of the year.

Our thinking has long been that the jouney to Dover should be more pleasent and the ferry will be much less crowded. You will have put the crossing behind you and saved around three hours on the following day if you include GMT. In the morning you will be fresh and have a full day in front of you (or alternatively have a lie in!).

Enjoy.

We've used the Calais docks for overnight stays several times and will do so in June for our next hol, can honestly recomend, noise didn't seem to bother us, nice early start in the morning is great, then pull over after an hour for breakfast. We also use it on our return, take a nice easy drive back to Calais no pressure to "get the Ferry" turn up at Calais in the early evening and catch an early ferry to blighty. On our last stay there was even a trailer tent pitched!

W2Go ,

i think you have been very helpfull to everyone on here especially the people that have problems with sat Nav's you never cease to amaze me with your information and knowledge.

On the other point (Dont ask ) you know what I,m like we were near calais on that motorway just outside waiting to go on the shuttle I think you all know where .

Anyway for some unknown reason we went towards Dunqirk

I think for an accident and the road was blocked we couldn't get into the shuttle and ended up going the other way until we could find out where to turn and come back. The refugue cling on's were sitting as bold as brass on the cenral reservations . The traffic was stopped the que was miles long and we watched as they started to jump under the lorries ..

we couldn't believe they would be that desperate to kill themself's

But its true .. The police came racing down the outside bit to deal with the accident you should of seen them run . but they only ran as far as the grass fields and hid in the grass . we watched as they all came back again as the police passed onto the accident .. I wouldn't trust em to close to sangatte...We ended up staring one cocky sod out he kept laughing we put on the reversing camera to keep an eye on the back actually thinking about it a Motorhome with a ladder and the rails on the roof like ours gives them plenty to cling onto ? Be careful not paranoid which i would probably make you .. If it dont feel good dont stop.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi breakaleg,

We looked at that last year and decided not to stay there because of for one the lack of security and two the close proximity of the lorries waiting to enter the goods boarding area that seemed to be attracting less desirable characters. It would otherwise seem a good flat solid area to park up.

Bas

Calais port sleep-over area.

As you leave the port area you will see the car parks that you need on your left. Carry on to the large roundabout that links you direct to the motorway (not the small one on your right signposted 'Calais'). Proceed round the roundabout to come back on yourself and the ferry car park (East Car Ferry) will be signposted. Choose the area signposted 'without tickets' and choose your spot.

Ron

RonB - 2007-05-17 12:45 PM

Calais port sleep-over area.

As you leave the port area you will see the car parks that you need on your left. Carry on to the large roundabout that links you direct to the motorway (not the small one on your right signposted 'Calais'). Proceed round the roundabout to come back on yourself and the ferry car park (East Car Ferry) will be signposted. Choose the area signposted 'without tickets' and choose your spot.

Ron

Hi Ron;

Those directions aren't quite correct.

As you leave the ferry complex just after going through the customs building you do need to take the first and only right turn signpost 'Centre Ville', go up to the small roundabout and turn left (3rd exit), then up to the large roundabout go all the way round and take the 4th exit signpost for the ferry, up to the next small roundabout and take the first exit signpost 'terminal, without tickets' and the parking area is then on your left.

If you don't take the 'Centre Ville' right turn - the road merges straight into the E15 dual carriageway which which goes straight over the top of the large roundabout you mention with no exits. You then have to follow the E15 right up to the next exit (quite a few miles) and double back on yourself to the port complex.

I know because I made this mistake last year.

pete

Archived