Overnight at Calais

Way2Go

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
peejay - 2007-05-17 2:16 PM

I know because I made this mistake last year.

pete

Strangely so did I (she refuses to accept any blame for this!

8-) 8-) ) ) last year! :$ :$ After so many times of using it as well, I wonder had something altered that was not obvious (subliminal)!

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2007-05-18 4:27 PM
RonB - 2007-05-17 1:10 PM Try 50.967N 1.869E Have fun. Ron

Are these still the correct co-ordinates Ron?

I don't think they are quiet right an example of nearby position: N50 57.985 E1 51.085I fink there are a few numbers missing ...

JudgeMental - 2007-05-18 6:04 PM
Way2Go - 2007-05-18 4:27 PM
RonB - 2007-05-17 1:10 PM Try 50.967N 1.869E Have fun. Ron

Are these still the correct co-ordinates Ron?

I don't think they are quiet right an example of nearby position: N50 57.985 E1 51.085I fink there are a few numbers missing ...
On my Tomtom, RonB's co-ordinates concur with Way2Go's Autoroute image.Your example plotted both decimal and degrees is in the middle of the English Channel!!

RonB - 2007-05-18 1:59 PM

Apologies all round!

I had my directions for the car park mixed up with those for going straight on. Its an age thing you see. Thanks Peejay.

Ron

Hey, no problems Ron, i've done it a few times myself :D . If its any consolation though, I reckon your co-ords are spot-on. :-)

pete

Guest JudgeMental

no mine was a random choice from mapsource page on computer - meant to suggest a few numbers possibly missing not a place so could well be anywhere.:-D

so W2G is your spot on map correct - as I will copy it over as a waypoint if it is -

if not driving through will be stopping there next Friday night

Hi Judge n Way,

Your point is actually on the dock exit road I believe and the actual place is the small white/black edged roads just above it on your picture. If you look you can see now why you have to exit at the small roundabout and get on to the yellow road to go round the larger roundabout to get to the other side of the security fence that borders the main road your waypoint is on. You really can't miss it as you exit the dock on that road it is to your left and will no doubt have numerous other vehicles waiting there.

The only place you can go wrong is at the roundabout as you exit the main road from the dock where if you stay on that road you will go straight onto the motorway out from the dock.

Bas

P.s. The actual exits to the area is under the name tag for your waypoint and the E15 marker!!! 8-) 8-)

OK, to REALLY pinpoint the exact location where you turn off the road from the last roundabout I mentioned in my directions into the overnight parking area......

Go to http://boulter.com/gps/

In the 'enter co-ords' box type in the following co-ords exactly as they appear here (cut & paste?)...

50.96773145210129 1.8683624267578125

Then play about with the map/aerial photo to see the location.

w2go E coords were 1 digit out (1.869 as opposed to 1.868)

pete

peejay - 2007-05-18 10:40 PM OK, to REALLY pinpoint the exact location where you turn off the road from the last roundabout I mentioned in my directions into the overnight parking area...... Go to http://boulter.com/gps/ In the 'enter co-ords' box type in the following co-ords exactly as they appear here (cut & paste?)... 50.96773145210129 1.8683624267578125 Then play about with the map/aerial photo to see the location. w2go E coords were 1 digit out (1.869 as opposed to 1.868) pete

Blimey indeed.  Many thanks for that, I'll pick you up a carton of throwing wine for your troubles ;-)

Seriously, that's a great help and my thanks also go to the other guys who have seen this through.  Many, many thanks to one and all.

W2G

• 2 weeks later...
Mel B - 2007-05-29 6:20 PM We stayed at the port parking area on Saturday night for the first time, not a problem at all - as quiet as most aires and much quieter than the dock side at Boulogne! Would certainly use it again.

Many thanks for the feedback Mel.  Is it where the map shows at the top of this page?

W2G

JudgeMental - 2007-05-19 7:56 AM found this site with coordinates for Aires - it has four in Calais http://www.airecampingcar.com[/quote]

That's a superb site Eddie. 

Have you noticed that if you "drill down" to single aire, and click on it, you can then select additional details to add to the map, such as dealers (concessionaires) for various makes of motorhomes, and accessories distributors, as well as the GPS co-ordinates for the aire?

Mel B - 2007-05-29 6:20 PM

We stayed at the port parking area on Saturday night for the first time, not a problem at all - as quiet as most aires and much quieter than the dock side at Boulogne!

Would certainly use it again.

Mel,

We found it got quite noisy on the weekday nights but was OK on a Saturday night.

Don

Archived