LHD beam benders

Guest JudgeMental

If my understanding of what is meant by "beam benders" is correct, i.e the little triangles of bendy plastic you stick on the front of the headlamps in a certain place, I don't think you can get such a thing as LHD to RHD. The continentals don't use them when they come over here, so why would anyone except us want them? I use UK ones from Halfords and our garage stuck them on for us before they did the MOT. Not sure about the strict legality though, I am sure I have read somewhere that you must change the headlamps. Anyway, it's worked so far. In the meantime, we are on the lookout for some replacement headlamps from a scrapyard or similar rather than fork out for Fiat ones.

Rowan Lee - 2007-04-14 7:39 PM

In the meantime, we are on the lookout for some replacement headlamps from a scrapyard or similar rather than fork out for Fiat ones.

Not sure what you consider inexpensive but for brand new light units for Mk 2 94 on £57 Mk3 2002 on £51 and Mk 4 2006 current £97.16 including vat. I couldn't decide from your avatar which model yours was but a lot cheaper than Fiat dealer prices and they are the same branded brand new in boxes.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Rowan Lee - 2007-04-14 7:39 PM

I use UK ones from Halfords and our garage stuck them on for us before they did the MOT. .

is your vehicle LHD?

Hi Eddie,

I think the standard Halford type, silver colour coated ‘beam benders’ which are really ‘light blotter outerer’s will work okay, providing you stick them in the right place on the lens.

I had previously left my above described beam converters on the MH for 3 years, and removed them only for the MOT. So – I have been looking at the spare set I always carry to work out where to fit this new set.

According to the paperwork the Sevel 2003 on model is not covered specifically, so you have to work out the basic reason for placement position as I have below. Your ‘Beast’ seems to have its headlights stuck up its nostrils, you are going to have to work out the position the same way as I have had to, so perhaps the notes below maybe of some help.

For RHD 2003 Sevel Cabs

Looking at the outer headlamps, take a centre line across the clear lens though the bulb shroud. Look for vertical flutes on the lower left of the reflector from the centre line going downwards. Its these flutes which reflect the light towards the left and upwards, normally illuminating the pavement on right hand drive models. The sticky converter is positioned just below the bulb shroud centre line partially obscuring these vertical flutes, lower left hand side of lens, viewed from the front.

On LHD models – my guess is that you will see the vertical flutes on the right hand side of the reflector and should be obscured in a similar fashion as the RHD models.

Regards Terry

Hi Judge.

You could also consider head lamp protectors that clip on and come with black shielding patches. Just have to transpose the marked positons to where they need to be.

It is also not a bad idea to fit permanently to protect the lenses from stone chips.

J.

Guest JudgeMental

Terry, Camper is on the new Ford Transit.

Brambles, I have bought head light protectors and my idea was to stick beam benders on - then when I go to Europe just take the protectors of...

problem is finding ones suitable for a LHD vehicle - but going by response to post seems that normal UK ones may do?

the Ford ones have no lines, so not easy to work out where to place stickers.

previous ones I had on my 4x4 had lines and it was easy.

1. I've used the beam benders whenever I've taken a car abroad but I've never driven at night and I'm not sure how they work.

Do they divert the light beam from left to centre or just stop light shining to the left?

Could you not put them on upside down? Would that work?

When you've finished laughing please accept my apologies for a dumb idea.

2. Also . . . no a side track, is there an alternative to those plastic Halfords things?  If I was to be going to France 2 or 3 times a year the cost of those silver things will eat into my wine money (and the time taken to remove the blasted things).  Is there an alternative?

3. Did you manage to get the family away in the end Judge?

W2G

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2007-04-15 7:29 AM

1 Did you manage to get the family away in the end Judge?

W2G

No!BUT going to the DVLA tomorrow with recept for speedo (on order may take 2 weeks) and for work (I paid labour charge in advance and they gave me a bill for everything) and as they don't want to see camper again just the bills - should be OK....Regards your headlights , you can always buy headlight protectors and stick the beam benders on. then just fit them when you go abroad. Alternatively, don't bother and just point your lights down via the knob on dash (if you have one)

Hi Eddie,

I did see the photo of your new LHD 'beast' as you described it, very nice too, every time I see one over there, I shall be saying to the wife, I wonder if that's Eddie!

The flutes I was referring to on my previous post are located on the reflector not the lens. My guess is you will see them on the right hand lower quadrant of the dipped headlamp reflector.

I spoke to the guy that makes the 'converters' that Halford sell, as back in 2004 the then new plastic lens were not covered in his instruction sheet. He advised me how to place the converters on the clear plastic lens, apparently, he borrows a new model and takes it into his workshop, and uses a beam alignment rig to determine the fitting position of the converter on new models.

If you do not have fluted reflectors, the only other way to find the converter position in my view, is to place the MH in front of a wall, sufficiently far enough away from the wall, to a get well defined dipped focused image on the wall, then offer up a cardboard cut-out the approximate shape of the converter to obscure the light overspill.

Regards Terry

Eddie,

Forget 'beam benders'. You'll be continually replacing them 'cos the glue doesn't last that long, given it keeps getting heated up.

The simplest - and best - solution is to use white insulating tape, which is available from any electrical wholesaler and is much beloved of glider pilots for sticking the wings on (If you have a glider pilot friend, he'll have some). Mask the headlights as described above (i.e., point on level ground at wall and place so cut-off is level right across). Make sure you have the headlamp beam adjuster pointed full down. You can increase the distance viewed ahead in the dark by using the headlamp beam adjuster.

Why white tape? It lets some of the light through without any dazzle so oncoming vehicles see the whole headlamp. And it doesn't trap the heat as much as black tape. One real of white tape should last you for the next 40 years.

This is completely legal for the MoT test, but does not comply with UK C&U Regulations 1986. It's your choice about the latter.

Mel E

====

Hey Mel,

The Halfords silver coloured beam benders I had difficulty removing after 3 continuous years on the plastic lenses, no way would they fall off.

That works out at 3.8 pence per week - I usually find more than that every week on the ground, when walking back through the supermarket carpark after shopping.

Regards Terry (lol)

Beam benders are those elongated transparent plastic patches incorporating a fresnel lens.  You stick them in the way of the dipped beam pattern and they "bend" the left, kerb seeking, part of the dipped beam over to the right.  Makes me wonder if they'd work for right dippers if fitted upside down, or whether that would also project the beam upwards?  Might be worth experimenting.

Masks are as Mel describes and "clip" the left kerb seeking part of the dipped beam.  Re application of insulating tape, I'm sure I've read of problems with the adhesive (or possibly the tape material itself) reacting with the clear plastic (polycarbonate) headlamp "lenses".  Has this been verified/squashed?

Basil posted some very interesting prices for headlamp units, but omitted to give the source!  Basil?

Brian, I think the adhesive reacting with the lenses is a bit of a myth, although could happen. The real problem is purely heat built up localised on the lense. The highest risk of crazing happening is driving with lights on into rain or a splash from a puddle suddenly cooling the plastic lense.

J.

GOOGLE-search on "headlight beam benders lhd" for details of UK suppliers. This will also retrieve a comment suggesting that 'RHD-to-LHD' benders will convert LHD-to-RHD pattern if used inverted. This might work I suppose if the benders were symmetrical, but the ones I've seen were definitely not.

(I've also seen them in the shops on Brittany Ferries ships.)

Hi Brian,

There is alot of confusion about the beam benders/masks, where to position them and whether or not they damage plastic lenses etc. All the info and experiences have been noted by the various posters, it would be worth collating, either a write up or with links to other posts.

I've just got back from Brownhills and looked at Judgementals new Ford headlights, the flutes I mentioned are clearly visible on the reflector, and should be fairly easy to position the masks to comply with driving over here or abroad, with LHD or RHD MH's. Although the instructions supplied with the mask sets will not have that specific model shown.

Regards Terry

The last set of Beam Benders I got from our local Wiko's car shop were for LHD or RHD switching, they are marked at the top and botom when looking at them as they would be on the headlamp RHD or LHD you just put them on with the change you want upwards. If that makes sense!!!

Archived