LHD beam benders

Guest JudgeMental

I remember several years ago driving to the Southampton Ferry Terminal for a 10PM sailing.  To save some time I thought I'll put the beam benders on before I left home.

As soon as we left the town and got out into the country I saw the error of my ways - couldn't see a thing on the left.  After pearing through the darkness I had to give up and rip them off again.

Hi W2G,

Several years ago headlamps were so bad I believe you, even the pre 2002 Mk1 glass headlamps on our first Pug type chassis were awful. The newer plastic twin headlamps are first class, with the beam bender/masks fitted made no difference to night vision - but then I do eat alot of carrots

*-)

Regards Terry (lol)

JudgeMental - . . . alternatively, don't bother and just point your lights down via the knob on dash (if you have one)

A couple of years ago we rented an apartment in Honfleur and crossed by Seacat from Newhaven to Dieppe.  We would arrive mid-afternoon and as we hadn't planned on doing any night driving we thought we wouldn't bother with beam benders.

We were informed by the check-in woman on the dockside that if we didn't go and buy some beam benders from their shop we would be illegal in France.  She added that our insurance company would not pay out in the event of an accident due to our vehicle failing to meet 'adequate lighting standards' and our vehicle would therefore be classed as 'unroadworthy'.

Not wanting to test this out we bought some but I wonder how true this was?

She also added that it was now compulsory to have headlights on at all times, day and night.

There was a trial period last year (or was it the year before?) of daytime dipped lights, but it never caught on, I suppose not enough motorists played the game.

So you are only required to display dipped headlights during periods of poor visibility.

It is illegal to drive any RHD vehicle without masking the dipped headlamp which would normally illuminate the left carriageway and cause distress to oncoming drivers.

I always carry a spare set of masks, just incase one or both of the fitted set becomes dislodged or taken off by someone. As previously mentioned once fitted, the adhesive is the devil to remove if left as I did for 3 years on a plastic lens.

Enjoy your trip to Germany, we are going over on May 1st to Calais, visiting Germany via Gelveld http://tinyurl.com/2f6gu7 and Eeklo, then Delftse Hout and Arnhem, arrive Germany around the 16th May until July 3rd - so we may see each other!

Regards Terry

Thanks for that Terry.  We're leaving on Friday 20th July and coming back on Saturday 28th.  We hit France Friday night and have to be in Gutersloh on Wednesday 25th.  Apart from that we're still planning . . . .

Thank you for the link to the Belgium Aire web site, very comprehensive.

Hi Way2go,

Insurance companies are not able to refuse a THIRD PARTY claim because you vehicle is unroadworthy. However, they can sue you afterwards to recover their losses.

They can reject an OWN DAMAGE claim, but you can sue them......

Archived